Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best Buy blowing out some nice Steelbook 4ks and reg 4ks

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/...&acampID=1bea869ccb3911e9b808e6a63278c9240INT - list pf 16 a fwe are just blurays - most are 4k and 4k steel books - first 6 are blurays scroll down

Hi Lites IMO:

Justice League 4K 7.99 Amazon 29.00 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/justic...y-only--best-buy-2017/6305780.p?skuId=6305780

The Meg Steelbook 4K 9.49 Amazon 31.00 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-me...y-only--best-buy-2018/6299685.p?skuId=6299685

Any of The Matrix Steelbook 4K 12.99 the collection all 3 4K 29.99

Snood already has the Matrixes otherwise :LB Justice League 4K at 7.99 yup - Meg 4K hmmmm:unsure:

Snood, thanks for the heads~up. I ordered 4 UHD4K Steelbook editions [The Meg/Justice League/Oceans 8/Matrix Reloaded] .... Free shipping and w/tax $43! BTW, the Matrix Trilogy Steelbook edition in 4K is SOLD OUT ....

I've acquired so many steelbook editions you can start referring to 4ears as THE MAN OF STEEL! :SB

Last edited:
Snood, thanks for the heads~up. I ordered 4 UHD4K Steelbook editions [The Meg/Justice League/Oceans 8/Matrix Reloaded] .... Free shipping and w/tax $43! BTW, the Matrix Trilogy Steelbook edition in 4K is SOLD OUT ....

I've acquired so many steelbook editions you can start referring to 4ears as THE MAN OF STEEL! :SB

Just so you guy know - Snood use this site here for heads up on deals on Movies, Games Music.......... Slick Deals

https://slickdeals.net/
They have front page deals - but you can check in the entertainment section for movies also. Music not much comes up - some cds good prices every once in awhile and some good deals on Vinyl from Amazon from time to time. :rocks

Snood usually checks it a couple times a day, plus have email sent for stuff in categories interested in.

Ended up getting The Meg too after reading review......had the bluray already for for 4 bux after discount 5 dollar Best Buy Bux ummmm yeah :QQlove

Last edited:
Just so you guy know - Snood use this site here for heads up on deals on Movies, Games Music.......... Slick Deals

https://slickdeals.net/
They have front page deals - but you can check in the entertainment section for movies also. Music not much comes up - some cds good prices every once in awhile and some good deals on Vinyl from Amazon from time to time. :rocks

Snood usually checks it a couple times a day, plus have email sent for stuff in categories interested in.

Gee, Snood, didn't think you cared .....One of your deals:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13349245-b...fter-clipping-49-00-coupon-ymmv?src=frontpage

Sometime this weekend I'll be checking out the latest "Godzilla" in 3-D bluray, which is also supposed to have a killer LFE pounding mix.

Not a trailer per se, but somebody had good fun with an interesting redux of a classic quad tune-

Snood, MANY THANKS AGAIN.....receved ALL 4 UHD4K Steelbook editions today [in perfect condition] at the bargain basement price of $11 each, delivered. Checking Best Buy prices today, Matrix Reloaded is now $32, the rest listed above are $26 each ........ Now, to find the time to watch them!

Apocalypse Now Final Cut 4K

5.0 out of 5.0 on blu-ray.com

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Apocalypse-Now-4K-Blu-ray/241662/#Review
As impressive as the video element is on these new 4K UHD discs, the Dolby Atmos tracks all three versions have are completely immersive, with floorboard rumbling LFE and nice verticality that's apparent from the very first panning sounds of a helicopter rotor clearly passing overhead and around the listener. Source cues like a certain Richard Wagner "hit tune" sound fantastic in this presentation, and the glut of explosions and gunfire also punctuate the soundfield with extremely directional effects that consistently maintain a realistic ambience. Dialogue is rendered cleanly and clearly throughout these excellent and hugely enjoyable presentations.

Has anyone gotten this yet, I'm still waiting on delivery?

Apocalypse Now Final Cut 4K

5.0 out of 5.0 on blu-ray.com

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Apocalypse-Now-4K-Blu-ray/241662/#Review

Has anyone gotten this yet, I'm still waiting on delivery?

I am three quarters through the new Native 4K remaster of Apocalypse Now ...... the Final Cut and can report it's SUPERB. I originally saw it in Manhattan upon its initial release in 70mm and 6 track magnetic surround on a massive screen and while one cannot fully appreciate it on a smaller screen the new Lionsgate transfer does full justice to Coppola's original intent.

For it's ridiculously cheap asking price for a 6 disc deluxe set ....... it belongs in every movie lover's collection.

How far behind can the Godfather Trilogy be......well I and II!

I got mine today and spent the afternoon ripping the 3 versions to MKV onto my server. I’ll take a listen to the Atmos track on the Final Cut this evening. Final Cut has a higher video bitrate so will look the best of the three.

For those who have it, take a look at the cover upside down. Nicely done.

might have to add a new logo to the top of quadraphonicquad

snipped from the back slipcover
Screenshot_2019-09-05 Apocalypse Now re-released with Meyer Sound Sensual Sound technology.png

“There were no films at the time with that kind of infrasonic, ultra-low frequency impact,” said Meyer Sound president and CEO John Meyer, who had founded his company only months before the film’s first release. “You had to get those frequencies on the soundtrack first, and then you had to reproduce them with loudspeakers. None of that was happening in 1979. But what we have in this new version with Sensual Sound is deeper and more powerful because the technology has vastly improved. This really is a breakthrough.”

Sensual Sound is implemented in both the post-production of the soundtrack and in the film’s exhibition using Meyer Sound’s VLFC very low frequency control element. Unlike conventional subwoofers that roll off at the threshold of hearing (about 20Hz), the VLFC bridges across this threshold to deliver infrasonic response down to 13 Hz. All very low frequency sounds are bolstered by a corporeal sensation of physical force."

The final Atmos mix was finished at Dolby Studios in San Francisco, here again with low frequencies extended into the infrasonic realm with a VLFC pair.

It would be interesting if someone did a waveform graph to see just how low those frequencies go because my understanding is, even if your speakers can't reproduce those frequencies, they should still show up on a spectrogram waveform if they are embedded in the atmos soundtrack.

The Doors The End in 13Hz atmos :cool:

Last edited:
I got mine today and spent the afternoon ripping the 3 versions to MKV onto my server. I’ll take a listen to the Atmos track on the Final Cut this evening. Final Cut has a higher video bitrate so will look the best of the three.

For those who have it, take a look at the cover upside down. Nicely done.

Someone on another website complained the packaging was 'cheesy ....' IMO, anything but. At first I thought it was a steelbook. Bullmose was blowing out the 6 disc package for $18. And turning the cover upside down to reveal Colonel Kurtz was a clever touch.

View attachment 43040

It would be interesting if someone did a waveform graph to see just how low those frequencies go because my understanding is, even if your speakers can't reproduce those frequencies, they should still show up on a spectrogram waveform if they are embedded in the atmos soundtrack.

The Doors The End in 13Hz atmos :cool:

Someone did post one over at AVS
avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2763785-ultimate-list-bass-movies-w-frequency-charts-518.html#post58471380

I've listened to this twice now. Once top-side via a 5.1 setup with a decent 12" sub, and then downstairs in my screening room with four 18" subs powered by Crown amps. Apocalypse Now already had an amazing low end in the original 5.1 mix, but downstairs with the four 18s and the new Atmos Sensual Sound enhanced mix, I could tell where the many of the new extensions were, having listened to the mix a number of times. The Sensual low end is mixed in extremely well, is very low and very visceral. It isn't an LFE crazy start-to-finish flick, like the latest Godzilla, (and am glad it isn't) but boy, whenever the LFE kicks in you sure know it.

The image restoration is incredible. One of the best 4K restorations of an older film I've seen so far. The 4K scan is the first time AN has been scanned directly from the original camera negative. That really helps both the 4K disc versions and the bluray versions. HDR is handled well, and is not over the top.

Where the bluray suffers some is compression on the theatrical cut disc that also has the redux cut. Thankfully 4Ks superior HEVC compression and increased 4K disc space keep the theatrical & redux version on one disc still looking good. So for a number of reasons, try to see this via the 4K discs.

Audio options are a strange mix though. I'll keep comments minimal and list the audio contents:

4K disc #1 Apocalypse Now - Final Cut - Dolby Atmos
4K disc #2 Apocalypse Now - Theatrical and Redux versions - Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
bluray disc #3 Apocalypse Now - Final Cut - Dolby Atmos
bluray disc #4 Apocalypse Now - Theatrical and Redux versions - Dolby TruHD 5.1 and for the theatrical cut only there's an extra Dolby Digital 5.1 track called "restored 1979 5.1 mix". Mixer Walter Murch is on record saying he's done tweaks over the years to the original 5.1 track, so having this mix on board is a very nice extra.
bluray disc #5 Bonus disc - some of the bonus clips talk about 5.1, but are all Dolby 2.0 coded. Unfortunate, as a bluray had some of these bonus short extras in Dolby 5.1.
bluray disc #6 Hearts of Darkness amazing behind the scenes movie of shooting the movie

I picked this up for $22. They could have sold this for twice the price but were smart and am sure they will recoup in sheer sales volume. Highly recommended.

Snood, MANY THANKS AGAIN.....receved ALL 4 UHD4K Steelbook editions today [in perfect condition] at the bargain basement price of $11 each, delivered. Checking Best Buy prices today, Matrix Reloaded is now $32, the rest listed above are $26 each ........ Now, to find the time to watch them!
Drat ! I missed this. By the time I checked they were gone.

Schindler's List (1993) 4K:
1. Pretty decent Atmos surround mix. A lot of the time, there's not a lot of surround action but when there is, it's fine. Fidelity's great. All the dialogue is clear.
2. This is the first black and white 4K movie I've seen and it looks really good. I switched off the HDR to see what it looked like and it's pretty much night and day (HDR being the winner).
3. Great flick, lots of interesting extras and it's cheap.

Given there's been some discussion here previously on the original SUSPIRA (1977), there's breaking news of an upcoming 4K release this November (with audio mixes galore and a true ground up image restoration):

This new UHD edition of SUSPIRIA will hit November 19, showcasing Synapse’s exclusive 4K restoration of the uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative, with color correction supervised and approved by cinematographer Luciano Tovoli and presented in true 2160p. Argento’s chiller about a ballet student (Jessica Harper) discovering grotesque horrors at a European dance academy will also be graced with an all-new Dolby Atmos audio remix and high dynamic range presentation, an Italian 5.1 Surround mix and the original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96kHz/24-bit audio with newly translated, removable English SDH subtitles. Also included are the alternate all-English opening and closing credits sequences, playable via seamless branching.

“SUSPIRIA is the ultimate genre film to make the jump to UHD,” Don May, Jr., president of Synapse Films, tells RUE MORGUE. “With the beautiful color palette and directional audio, there was no better candidate to set the standard for older catalog titles for this new 4K format. We went back to the original 4K files and basically started over, reconfiguring the theatrical DCI-P3 color space for UHD’s expanded color palette and utilized high dynamic range. I couldn’t believe it was possible, but the film looks even more jaw-dropping. The high dynamic range looks amazing without corrupting the original photographic intent. We also made the decision to add a Dolby Atmos remix for the release, just to have a little fun with the format.”

Back