Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday, I Picked up the UHD-4K BD of John Wick 3.

1568263267190.jpeg

No. I was expecting something along the lines of, I don’t know :unsure:, maybe, Bohemian Rhapsody?

Honestly, I thought RAMI did a great job but really wasn't blown away with the bio until the LIVE AID show at the very end of the movie. And I know I'm NOT alone in that assessment. I really honestly enjoyed Oliver Stones THE DOORS more, especially in 4K [GREAT NATIVE REMASTER] even though a lot of the negative reviews stemmed from people who actually knew Morrison and stated that STONE failed to capture his 'essence...' whatever THAT means! IMO, Morrison was a troubled dude who lied about his parent's death [his father was a NAVY ADMIRAL] and though he was uber talented.......unfortunately followed the harrowing blueprint of many a Rock Idol and died tragically at 27....of what else ...a DRUG overdose!

Last edited:
War and Peace (1967) BD: I finished watched all 7 hours of this massive epic over 2 nights last night.

1. New DTS-MA 5.1 mix. I was expecting maybe just a bit of reverb but there are quite a few sections of discreet action and a reasonable amount from the rears. It won't knock your socks off but for the age of the movie, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised as I was.
2. Fidelity is excellent. All of the dialogue is clear but I don't speak Russian so can't say if anything is mumbled or not.
3. Cinematography is incredible. Superb use of pretty much all types of camerawork you can imagine.
4. Battle scenes are probably the largest, longest running and most complex I've seen. They're huge. Just looking in the background (which is waaaaaay in the background) reveals tons of action.
5. Interior scenes are similarly extravagant. If you dug Russian Ark https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Ark-...rds=russian+ark+blu+ray&qid=1568495221&sr=8-1, you'll dig this.
6. Direction and acting is spot on.
7. I spotted a few typos in the subtitles and a powerline in the background (I think) but these don't distract from the movie magic.
8. It's in 4 parts across 2 discs, so you can take your time if you want.
9. If you like your period costume dramas like the Kube's Barry Lyndon, Polanski's Tess and Gone With The Wind, you'll probably enjoy this.
10. You can buy the Region A-locked BD here: https://www.amazon.com/War-Peace-Cr...s=war+and+peace+blu+ray&qid=1568495231&sr=8-1

War and Peace (1967) BD: I finished watched all 7 hours of this massive epic over 2 nights last night.

1. New DTS-MA 5.1 mix. I was expecting maybe just a bit of reverb but there are quite a few sections of discreet action and a reasonable amount from the rears. It won't knock your socks off but for the age of the movie, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised as I was.
2. Fidelity is excellent. All of the dialogue is clear but I don't speak Russian so can't say if anything is mumbled or not.
3. Cinematography is incredible. Superb use of pretty much all types of camerawork you can imagine.
4. Battle scenes are probably the largest, longest running and most complex I've seen. They're huge. Just looking in the background (which is waaaaaay in the background) reveals tons of action.
5. Interior scenes are similarly extravagant. If you dug Russian Ark https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Ark-...rds=russian+ark+blu+ray&qid=1568495221&sr=8-1, you'll dig this.
6. Direction and acting is spot on.
7. I spotted a few typos in the subtitles and a powerline in the background (I think) but these don't distract from the movie magic.
8. It's in 4 parts across 2 discs, so you can take your time if you want.
9. If you like your period costume dramas like the Kube's Barry Lyndon, Polanski's Tess and Gone With The Wind, you'll probably enjoy this.
10. You can buy the Region A-locked BD here: https://www.amazon.com/War-Peace-Cr...s=war+and+peace+blu+ray&qid=1568495231&sr=8-1

I've yet to get through Parts 3 and 4 but all in all, Criterion has done a yeoman's job of transferring this 70mm epic to BD~V, although I do think it's time for the label to go full throttle UHD4K since most of their latest transfers have been remastered in 4K.

I also trying to get through D W Griffith's Birth of A Nation and Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now having finally finished watching Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey in an absolutely stunning UHD4K transfer.

It seems Timothy, this HAS been a year of literally CLASSIC EPIC CINEMA on home video with more to come. I just wish all of the releasing studios would go FULL NATIVE UHD4K as I'm sure even War and Peace and Birth of a Nation will eventually see upgraded transfers.

And Polanski's Tess, Kubrick's Barry Lyndon and of course Gone With The Wind are probably being considered for Native UHD 4K transfers ..... as we speak. At least The Shining is promised before year's end.

Based on the VERY fussy reviewers @ blu~ray.com, the 3D is supposedly reference quality. I probably won't be receiving the disc for two weeks but I really enjoyed the flick on HBO [a FEAST for the eyes] and it does support an ATMOS soundtrack, as well.

The ATMOS surround mix on Immortal Engines was really good I thought.

Ready Player One
4K Ultra HD
Dolby Atmos

Wow.

Yea, ready player one has an awesome surround mix with tons of LFE.

Last edited:
There is no "TV in surround" thread that I can find, so I'll post this here -- maybe we need that thread? I can see where Netflix or Amazon might not be seen as television, but they are largely 5.1 with the newest television series they've picked up. Even the faux stereo on tv with the right decoders sounds surround. Anyway.

Am belatedly (and so, very cheaply :p ) acquiring the blu rays second-hand for all seasons of GAME OF THRONES -- in Dolby Atmos!

Sat through the first disc last night (from the special steelbook set) and it was superb! The beginning interstitials claim that GOT was the "first Dolby Atmos television show" (guess if HBO claims it is television, well, ok then, so are Netflix and Amazon).

Have acquired the second season in a steelbook, but found a cheap set of seasons 1-6 in Dolby Atmos (44 bucks!) on Amazon, so I sprang for that and am waiting for it to arrive, as well as the 7th season in a special art package (also Dolby Atmos). The final season is pre-ordered, and is also a steelbook (hopefully Atmos, too).

I found the sound stunning, and the blu ray picture much better than streaming HBO (I don't have UDH4k, but can up-scale to 4k with my Oppo).
There was a bit of digital noise (or even film degradation) in one or two scenes in the dark areas, but it was fleeting.

Can't wait to rewatch the entire series in Atmos! I figure that by the time the much-hated Season 8 comes out (I thought it an appropriate ending, btw, can't please everyone), I should have come to that point after seven seasons. . . .

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere . . . I'm sure someone will point it out if so. ;)

Back