Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marine CPL Franklin Sousley. third in from right to left KIA two week later on Iwo Jima. My kin
flags.png

You probably all saw Roma when it was on Netflix but I didn't and watched it last night on BD:
1. Probably the most discreet surround mix I've ever heard. It's constant throughout the entire movie. So good!
2. There is a very interesting doco on the BD about all the work that went into creating the mix.
3. Sorry for a potential spoiler but in the interests of preventing potential sub damage, when you can hear an earthquake coming, reach for your remotes and get ready to turn things down. I had everything cranked way up to get all the rumbles from that Ford Galaxy engine and had to do some quick volume drops. I ran it back and watched it about 4 more times though. What a shaker!
4. Shot in 6.5K, tons of "invisible" special effects in almost every shot (you'd never know but lots is revealed in the docos on the disc).
5. Superb cinematography and image detail.
6. It's an Atmos mix (5.1 at my place) so you Atmos boys are probably in for a real treat.
7. This could be it gang - the best movie surround mix out there.

You probably all saw Roma when it was on Netflix but I didn't and watched it last night on BD:
1. Probably the most discreet surround mix I've ever heard. It's constant throughout the entire movie. So good!
2. There is a very interesting doco on the BD about all the work that went into creating the mix.
3. Sorry for a potential spoiler but in the interests of preventing potential sub damage, when you can hear an earthquake coming, reach for your remotes and get ready to turn things down. I had everything cranked way up to get all the rumbles from that Ford Galaxy engine and had to do some quick volume drops. I ran it back and watched it about 4 more times though. What a shaker!
4. Shot in 6.5K, tons of "invisible" special effects in almost every shot (you'd never know but lots is revealed in the docos on the disc).
5. Superb cinematography and image detail.
6. It's an Atmos mix (5.1 at my place) so you Atmos boys are probably in for a real treat.
7. This could be it gang - the best movie surround mix out there.

Shot in 6.5K and released in 2K. What's wrong with Criterion? Why haven't they gone the 4K route? Saw the movie on Netflix. The B&W cinematography was gorgeous and as you state, Tim, the surround was amazing and from the first frame to the last enveloped the listener.

What's even MORE amazing about Criterion's refusal to go 4K .... UHD4K IS REGION FREE and so many potential customers all over the world [w/4K players] who don't have region free BD~V players could play them. And since 99.9% of all Criterion reissues are from 35mm negatives and are MASTERED in 4K, almost ALL of Criterion's reissues would be in Native UHD4K.

Unless the studios are unwilling to license their films to Criterion for 4K release. Hmmmmm!

Criterion has released just over 1000 films over the years and MANY are still available in the DVD [480p] format. Hasn't the time REALLY COME, fellas?

The Japanese are already working on 8K and had planned to televise the 2020 Summer Olympics in 8K [now re~scheduled for 2021] ...... Hmmmmm PLUS!

Last edited:
Shot in 6.5K and released in 2K. What's wrong with Criterion? Why haven't they gone the 4K route? Saw the movie on Netflix. The B&W cinematography was gorgeous and as you state, Tim, the surround was amazing and from the first frame to the last enveloped the listener.

What's even MORE amazing about Criterion's refusal to go 4K .... UHD4K IS REGION FREE and so many potential customers all over the world [w/4K players] who don't have region free BD~V players could play them. And since 99.9% of all Criterion reissues are from 35mm negatives and are MASTERED in 4K, almost ALL of Criterion's reissues would be in Native UHD4K.

Unless the studios are unwilling to license their films to Criterion for 4K release. Hmmmmm!

Criterion has released just over 1000 films over the years and MANY are still available in the DVD [480p] format. Hasn't the time REALLY COME, fellas?

The Japanese are already working on 8K and had planned to televise the 2020 Summer Olympics in 8K [now re~scheduled for 2021] ...... Hmmmmm PLUS!
I agree. I'm just guessing but I bet the issue is whoever gets paid a royalty for a 4K release (does anyone and if so, is it Sony?) will be wanting a mountain of cash that Criterion aren't willing to cough up which is fair enough from their business perspective. Would be great if all the smaller labels like Indicator and the like would be able to release some 4K discs soon. So many recent BD releases of old movies are from new 4K scans.

Hacksaw Ridge 4K:
1. It's ANZAC weekend here in New Zealand so I had to watch a war movie.
2. Second time I've seen this but it's a goodie. Great story, decent surround mix, loads of low lows.
3. I found the 4K a little soft without the huge dynamic range that you usually get but it's not a biggie.

From StudioCanal a Native UHD4K restoration of FLASH GORDON. Release date: August 3, 2020

StudioCanal: New 4K Restoration of Flash Gordon Heading to 4K Blu-ray (UPDATED)

913OO3MEBqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

THE FIVE-DISC COLLECTOR'S EDITION INCLUDES
  • The 4K Blu-ray plus two Blu-ray discs
  • BONUS BLU-RAY DISC OF LIFE AFTER FLASH, the 2017 feature documentary celebrating the film and it's star, directed by Lisa Downs
  • ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK CD by Queen & Howard Blake
  • 32 page booklet
  • 16 page Titan mini book (The Story of Flash Gordon)
  • Reproduced booklet of the first strip of original comic books
  • Poster of original artwork
  • 4 artcards of various incarnations of Flash film posters across the years
  • 1 sew on 'Flash patch'

I read through some of the comments...seems divisive. Hmmmmm

On the contrary, Gene. Thought it was a very positive review. Those with Dolby Atmos will surely benefit from a reference quality soundtrack and the reviewer states the 4K video far surpasses the older BD~V. He even stated he was going to watch a small portion of the film for his review and got 'suckered' in to watching the entire movie and found elements in the film heretofore missing from previous viewings.

And it was HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

edit: Sorry, Gene, you were referring to the COMMENT SECTION. Yes, it was divisive as 'internet opinions' always ARE! I take it with a grain of salt!

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS
Permission to speak freely Sir....
I'm sure the Video & Audio quality is awesome.
IMO this movie sucked big time. I saw it at an IMAX and was thoroughly disappointed.

Everyone certainly has a right to their opinion. And those who compare it to the original would be disappointed. As the Hidefdigest Reviewer points out, it was Spielberg's answer to 9/11 ..... the unseen enemy lurking below the surface launching an all out attack on an unsuspecting world. I thought Cruise did his usual 'professional' acting job as the 'protagonist' and since I've only seen it once on home video via the BD~A, I do look forward to reassessing it in 2020.

Believe me, Beef, I've seen many films I thought sucked, initially, but upon further viewings gained a better appreciation of it.

And there are highly rated films, which upon further viewings, could've used JUDICIOUS EDITING.

As always, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I'm sure this will be among those BLACK FRIDAY releases which Amazon will eventually blow out for $9.99 ..... or less. Stay tuned!

From Geeky Tom Cruise with crooked teeth in Francis Ford Coppola's THE OUTSIDERS to Heart Throb, T. Cruise, one thing I will always commend him on is his utmost professionalism. It has been said that he NEVER enters a movie set without being 100% prepared.....something which cannot be said for a lot of other prima donna actors/actresses!

See the source image

See the source image

From StudioCanal a Native UHD4K restoration of FLASH GORDON. Release date: August 3, 2020

StudioCanal: New 4K Restoration of Flash Gordon Heading to 4K Blu-ray (UPDATED)

913OO3MEBqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

THE FIVE-DISC COLLECTOR'S EDITION INCLUDES
  • The 4K Blu-ray plus two Blu-ray discs
  • BONUS BLU-RAY DISC OF LIFE AFTER FLASH, the 2017 feature documentary celebrating the film and it's star, directed by Lisa Downs
  • ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK CD by Queen & Howard Blake
  • 32 page booklet
  • 16 page Titan mini book (The Story of Flash Gordon)
  • Reproduced booklet of the first strip of original comic books
  • Poster of original artwork
  • 4 artcards of various incarnations of Flash film posters across the years
  • 1 sew on 'Flash patch'
Wow, that’s awesome! (Wish I could get the 4K disc without all the other hoopla, though)

I read through some of the comments...seems divisive. Hmmmmm

Re: WOTW 2005:

While the Atmos immersive elements of the remix are reported to be excellent, the system threatening (and demo worthy) LFE found on the DTS-HD bluray and DTS DVD are noted to be substantially neutered in the new Atmos remix. These reports are increasing by those with higher end set ups who have compared both mixes.

I'm all for Atmos, but this is yet another key reason why if you decide to offer a remix, *always*, always include the original mix. I don't get why studios cannot be consistent with this.

Back