Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Available NOW from Columbia Classics [Volume I] ALL Native UHD4K: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington; Gandhi; Lawrence of Arabia; Dr. Strangelove; A League of Their Own and Jerry McGuire a 12 disc set [including BD~Vs] in slipcase packaging with a hardcovered book

https://www.importcds.com/columbia-...imited-edition-6-film-collection/043396559219
A Review of Dr. Strangelove from the collection:

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/dr-strangelove-ccv1-4k-uhd

81E4KdjYpoL._SL1500_.jpg

Pre~ordered from Deep Discount: With their latest 10% off coupon: $90 [list $165]. They did impose an extra s/h charge of $3.99 + local tax, but, IMO, still a good deal. AmazonUS is $112 + tax.

https://www.deepdiscount.com/columb...imited-edition-6-film-collection/043396559219
Blu~Ray.com's RAVE REVIEW of Frank Capra's Mr. Smith Goes to Washington from the box set:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mr-Smith-Goes-to-Washington-4K-Blu-ray/266979/#Review

Last edited:
Pre~ordered from Deep Discount: With their latest 10% off coupon: $90 [list $165]. They did impose an extra s/h charge of $3.99 + local tax, but, IMO, still a good deal. AmazonUS is $112 + tax.

https://www.deepdiscount.com/columb...imited-edition-6-film-collection/043396559219
Blu~Ray.com's RAVE REVIEW of Frank Capra's Mr. Smith Goes to Washington from the box set:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mr-Smith-Goes-to-Washington-4K-Blu-ray/266979/#Review
This is shaping up to be a great release. Order on the way.

Edit: Haha, forgot I preordered this several days ago. Age is a...what's that saying? Don't remember...

Edit: Haha, forgot I preordered this several days ago. Age is a...what's that saying? Don't remember...

Blu Ray.com stated in their review that the Native UHD4K remaster of Lawrence of Arabia alone is worth the price of the box set.

Ironically, 'in the ole days' a pan and scan MONO VHS tape upon release was priced at $100!!!!!!!!!

Blu Ray.com stated in their review that the Native UHD4K remaster of Lawrence of Arabia alone is worth the price of the box set.

Ironically, 'in the ole days' a pan and scan MONO VHS tape upon release was priced at $100!!!!!!!!!
They also gave Mr. Smith a 5 star grade on the 4k picture quality as I recall. I am pretty psyched about this collection. The only downer for me is I wish my spouse was more into older movies.

Michael Mann's first feature film on Criterion blu-ray
View attachment 52392
Tangerine Dream on the soundtrack (5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio)!
https://www.criterion.com/films/28024-thief

Criterion has released over 1000 DVD/BD~Vs over their illustrious career and for the past few years, a majority have been 'remastered in 4K from the original camera negatives.'

But Criterion has never released a Native UHD 4K disc. And from reading a lot of the threads from posters on various movie forums, this has deterred a lot of them from supporting Criterion.

And if one doesn't think a proper UHD Native 4K disc, especially utilizing HDR10 and Dolby Vision doesn't look SIGNIFICANTLY better than a standard 1080p Blu Ray, THINK AGAIN.

In terms of brightness, contrast levels and discerning minute background details, skin textures, etc., 4K is SUPERIOR.

Even smaller studios without Criterion's clout are releasing 4K discs.....so again, why NOT Criterion?

I own well over 250+ Criterion remasters but have been reluctant to purchase any current ones until they step up and release NATIVE UHD4K discs because at this juncture, I'm tired of double, triple and quadruple dipping to own a definitive version of a classic and since most of Criterions discs are from 35mm sources, 4K will definitively capture those source 35mm negatives in stunning detail!

Criterion has released over 1000 DVD/BD~Vs over their illustrious career and for the past few years, a majority have been 'remastered in 4K from the original camera negatives.'

But Criterion has never released a Native UHD 4K disc. And from reading a lot of the threads from posters on various movie forums, this has deterred a lot of them from supporting Criterion.

And if one doesn't think a proper UHD Native 4K disc, especially utilizing HDR10 and Dolby Vision doesn't look SIGNIFICANTLY better than a standard 1080p Blu Ray, THINK AGAIN.

In terms of brightness, contrast levels and discerning minute background details, skin textures, etc., 4K is SUPERIOR.

Even smaller studios without Criterion's clout are releasing 4K discs.....so again, why NOT Criterion?

I own well over 250+ Criterion remasters but have been reluctant to purchase any current ones until they step up and release NATIVE UHD4K discs because at this juncture, I'm tired of double, triple and quadruple dipping to own a definitive version of a classic and since most of Criterions discs are from 35mm sources, 4K will definitively capture those source 35mm negatives in stunning detail!
I have a few Criterion blu rays and as far as blu rays go they are excellent.

I have a few Criterion blu rays and as far as blu rays go they are excellent.

For 1080p BD~Vs, Criterion has always released the best versions IN THAT FORMAT for some time. But if you have seen the latest crop of NATIVE UHD 4K discs on a calibrated monitor or projector, as good as the Criterions are, the 4K format is SUPERIOR. And most of them can he had for the same price, even way less, than Criterion discs even at a 1/2 price annual Barnes and Noble Sale.

My point, if Criterion is going to the trouble and expense of mastering 90% of their new releases in 4K ..... why not release them in 4K????????? And if they did include a 1080p disc with the 4K .... a side by side comparison would certainly definitively display the superiority of the 4K format.

For 1080p BD~Vs, Criterion has always released the best versions IN THAT FORMAT for some time. But if you have seen the latest crop of NATIVE UHD 4K discs on a calibrated monitor or projector, as good as the Criterions are, the 4K format is SUPERIOR. And most of them can he had for the same price, even way less, than Criterion discs even at a 1/2 price annual Barnes and Noble Sale.

My point, if Criterion is going to the trouble and expense of mastering 90% of their new releases in 4K ..... why not release them in 4K????????? And if they did include a 1080p disc with the 4K .... a side by side comparison would certainly definitively display the superiority of the 4K format.
I agree, I dont yet have a 4K TV but I have bought a few UHDs because they include a blu ray - I can watch the blu ray and when I eventually upgrade I can watch the 4K version. It's a great way to market the discs.

could it be a licensing thing? Every Criterion blu ray I have bought has had region coding. UHDs do not.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a number of reasons Criterion hasn't taken the UHD plunge:
  • The UHD Blu-ray market is rather small, and Criterion is already operating in a niche market.
  • Criterion's first Blu-ray might immediately harm the sales of all their current Blu-rays. Customers might start waiting for all their titles on UHD in order to avoid double dipping. Criterion may have already experienced this with their DVD catalog when they jumped to Blu-ray.
  • HDR grading is supposed to have a steep learning curve, and a whole new toolset. As a glaring example, none of the amazing Project 4K77 releases have ever had an HDR release. The people involved in 4K77 admit they have the data for a wide color gamut, but nothing's happened solely because no one has stepped forward to do it.
  • Although not essential to releasing a UHD disc, Dolby Vision (and Atmos) probably require insanely expensive licensing and tools.
All that said, the famous home media insider Bill Hunt says Criterion might release their first UHD this year.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a number of reasons Criterion hasn't taken the UHD plunge:
  • The UHD Blu-ray market is rather small, and Criterion is already operating in a niche market.
  • Criterion's first Blu-ray might immediately harm the sales of all their current Blu-rays. Customers might start waiting for all their titles on UHD in order to avoid double dipping. Criterion may have already experienced this with their DVD catalog when they jumped to Blu-ray.
  • HDR grading is supposed to have a steep learning curve, and a whole new toolset. As a glaring example, none of the amazing Project 4K77 releases have ever had an HDR release. The people involved in 4K77 admit they have the data for a wide color gamut, but nothing's happened solely because no one has stepped forward to do it.
  • Although not essential to releasing a UHD disc, Dolby Vision (and Atmos) probably require insanely expensive licensing and tools.
All that said, the famous home media insider Bill Hunt says Criterion might release their first UHD this year.

All reasonable assertions and yet in Japan they are forging ahead with 8K and are scheduled to televise the 2021 Summer Olympics in 8K......but, IMO, will be OVERKILL for 35mm and probably find its niche in movie theaters and large stadium projection screens.

All reasonable assertions and yet in Japan they are forging ahead with 8K and are scheduled to televise the 2021 Summer Olympics in 8K......but, IMO, will be OVERKILL for 35mm and probably find its niche in movie theaters and large stadium projection screens.
I'm not sure how relevant that is to Criterion's realities at this point. There's what manufacturers push in order to sell new products, and then there are media production realities. Like... Television broadcasting still hasn't even moved to 4K, and most consumers were completely satisfied with DVD/SD resolution until everything went to streaming. I'm sure we all know people that were still using DVDs with their new 4K TVs because they didn't know or care about the difference!

i don't want any trouble Ralph--i own about 300 Criterion discs myself; i'm enjoying another stunning surround mix
1591941754420.png

this one has a new 4K digital restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray, both supervised by director David Lynch. The track is . . . killer . . . as it were!
https://www.criterion.com/films/29144-blue-velvet

i don't want any trouble Ralph--i own about 300 Criterion discs myself; i'm enjoying another stunning surround mix
View attachment 52481
this one has a new 4K digital restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray, both supervised by director David Lynch. The track is . . . killer . . . as it were!
https://www.criterion.com/films/29144-blue-velvet

NO trouble Clement.....An AWESOME DAVID LYNCH FILM.......I'm SURE a GREAT TRANSFER .... but Imagine, Just Imagine, how much better it would look in Native 4K with HDR10 + Dolby Vision? BLUER VELVET!

And It ALL started with a severed 👂

See the source image

See the source image
See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

Last edited:
I'm not sure how relevant that is to Criterion's realities at this point. There's what manufacturers push in order to sell new products, and then there are media production realities. Like... Television broadcasting still hasn't even moved to 4K, and most consumers were completely satisfied with DVD/SD resolution until everything went to streaming. I'm sure we all know people that were still using DVDs with their new 4K TVs because they didn't know or care about the difference!

I think part of the problem for a lot of people--certainly for me--is that anything from DVD onward is generally good enough. It's not that I can't see the difference between DVD and Blu-ray and 4k, it's that when I sit and watch a DVD I don't spend the whole time thinking "This isn't good enough and could have been so much better!" I certainly did that with VHS and CED and Laserdisc, but the shortcomings that bothered me most about the analog formats (low resolution, crosstalk, noise, skipping [with CED]) generally don't exist with DVD.

Having said that, there are certain titles I'm a complete sucker for and have multiple-dipped over and over and over and over for, all the way up to 4k. But there are others where I'll probably always be happy with the DVD.

It's probably relevant that I don't have an enormous TV. I'm not even exactly sure how big it is, I think somewhere in the low 50s.

I'm far more interested in 3D than 4k and remain sad that it's no longer possible to get 3D without going the projector route, which simply won't work for me.

Back