Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have wanted to watch this for sometime. Now maube I'll move it to the "when ever I don't have anything better to do" category. Still, big fan of Tarentino & most of his movies. They do take a sort of commitment to time & paying attention to.

Didn't see it in 4k but I was made aware of it from other posts on QQ. I agree with you & would highly recommend it. The series ended too soon. I was ready for more. Sounded best with 2 ch down mix into the Surround master.

I'm a Tarantino fanboy, too, SW, but expected WAY MORE in terms of originality. I know another QQ poster whose opinion I trust, felt the same way. DiCaprio and Pitt were great, as usual, but I felt it meandered and it's runtime [161 minutes] could've been trimmed considerably. Sometimes LESS IS MORE!

BTW, Just finished watching the second season of NETFLIX'S THE POLITICIAN with Ben Platt and a stellar cast and LOVED IT. The first season was enjoyable, as well.

See the source image

Last edited:
Have you seen the 4K Dolby Vision transfer of 2001?

Yes! And since I pre-ordered it, my copy is from the first run and includes that extra second or so of Leonard Rossiter that's usually lost to a fadeout.

I’ve seen this in 70mm, and it NEVER looked this good before.

I was fortunate to be able to see a then-new 70mm print on the Cinerama screen in Seattle. Film and projection were great, but they botched the screen restoration in a way that resulted in a lot of distracting cross-reflection.

Along with Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket, yep! And a bunch of others but thems my top 3.

LURID CINEMA at its most PROVOCATIVE: John Huston's Production of REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE with LIZ and MARLON in GLORIOUS MONO 2.0 [Suggestion: Play in ALL CHANNEL MONO for an IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE]
2 BD~Vs: Huston's preferred GOLDEN TINTED RELEASE and RESTORED TECHNICOLOR Release*

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/82854/reflectionsinagoldeneye.html
reflections-in-a-golden-eye.jpg

Reflections-in-a-Golden-Eye-Brian-Keith-Elizabeth-Taylor-3.jpg

Reflections-in-a-Golden-Eye-Brian-Keith-Elizabeth-Taylor1.jpg

Last edited:
LURID CINEMA at its most PROVOCATIVE: John Huston's Production of REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE with LIZ and MARLON in GLORIOUS MONO 2.0 [Suggestion: Play in ALL CHANNEL MONO for an IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE]
2 BD~Vs: Huston's preferred GOLDEN TINTED RELEASE and RESTORED TECHNICOLOR Release*

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/82854/reflectionsinagoldeneye.html
reflections-in-a-golden-eye.jpg

I haven't seen this but it's now in my cart. I stopped reading when I hit "Southern Gothic" and "gold tint". That's pretty much a must-see for me! This little gem Scalpel Blu-ray | Arrow Films also has 2 colour grades and ticks the Southern Gothic box.

Koyaanisqatsi was great. Didn't think much of the other 2 though. Baraka and Samsara are also gems. Ron Fricke's the magic ingredient there!

TOTALLY agree, Tim. The other two didn't have the unique qualities of Koyaanisqatsi! Also a fan of Baraka and Samsara....and the Planet Earth series in NATIVE UHD4K!

81GTUISMHuL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Quite a difference.
Are we supposed to think the golden-tinted (I’d call is sepia) version is superior?

Quite a difference.
Are we supposed to think the golden-tinted (I’d call is sepia) version is superior?

Sepia is distinctly brown hued with no actual color......and Huston filtered it through golden hues to accentuate the title Reflections In A Golden Eye but the studio didn't like it and released the full Technicolor prints to the theaters. So you're actually getting two BD~Vs: the Director's original 'vision' and the Studio's override to release the Technicolor version.

See the source image
Reflections-in-a-Golden-Eye-Elizabeth-Taylor-10.jpg

SEPIA.................................................................. THROUGH A GOLDEN EYE

Last edited:
This looks absolutely stunning! As far as the sound goes, check this out from the dvdtalk.com review:
Not surprisingly, Criterion's Blu-ray plays it straight with a PCM 2.0 Stereo Surround track that preserves the film's two-channel roots. Dreams' audio is obviously less showy than the visuals but still has moments of tremendous depth and ambition, especially during "The Tunnel" and "Mount Fuji in Red", or any time Shinichiro Ikebe's music kicks in. There's also a strong amount of low end, terrific channel separation, and a few subtle but specific uses of rear channel activity along the way. Overall, it's an extremely crisp and well-defined effort that, on several occasions, may even trick you into thinking it's a full-fledged 5.1 mix.
1593113608764.png

https://www.criterion.com/films/28700-akira-kurosawa-s-dreamshttps://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/71513/akira-kurosawas-dreams-criterion-collection/https://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/akira-kurosawas-dreams/

For Lovers of Ghost Stories and things that go BUMP in the Night comes this tidy little thriller from Magnolia Pictures in a Superb Upscaled UHD4K Presentation

81HNyejniQL._SL1500_.jpg

See the source image

Last edited:
Back