Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apocalypse Now Redux 4K: Watched this gem last night at ear-splitting volume:

1. Looking and sounding superb on 4K.
2. Some surround moments that stood out from the previous BD release were the rain scene when they visit the bunnies and the bird/forest sounds when Chef and Willard are hunting mangoes.
3. Fidelity is excellent. The low end has way more kick than previous releases. Bass drum in Hau Phat Suzie Q scene sounds great.
4. As with a few other 4K Atmos releases, I had to up the centre channel 2dB on my 5.1 set-up.

Truly movie magic.

2. Some surround moments that stood out from the previous BD release were the rain scene when they visit the bunnies and the bird/forest sounds when Chef and Willard are hunting mangoes.
3. Fidelity is excellent. The low end has way more kick than previous releases. Bass drum in Hau Phat Suzie Q scene sounds great.
4. As with a few other 4K Atmos releases, I had to up the centre channel 2dB on my 5.1 set-up.

Truly movie magic.
Awesome. I am really stoked about watching this. Yesterday I finally had a chance to watch John Wick 2. Oh what fun it was. It has an awesome Atmos. All sorts of stuff going on in the surround channels.

Truly movie magic.

arclight scene was also impressive.

All the other times I've seen this movie over the years, probably at least 20 times, the arclight always sounded like just one big explosion, but in this atmos mix I could hear multiple drops, very distinct and discrete, the way I'm sure it really sounded like over there at the time.

A harrowing look at World War I through an astounding restoration/colorization process which director Peter Jackson undertook to again bring the horrors of War into the 21st Century. When you're finished watching this chilling docudrama and realize that over a million souls were lost in a war which started with the assasination of Archduke Ferninand and the similarities to another war [Viet Nam] in which the men returned home from battle only to be met with adversity, indifference and alienation, the hope that nothing like this ever happens again hits home. BTW, Jackson dedicates this film to, among others, his Grandfather who served in WWI.

91hmVV39XJL._SL1500_.jpg

A harrowing look at World War I through an astounding restoration/colorization process which director Peter Jackson undertook to again bring the horrors of War into the 21st Century. When you're finished watching this chilling docudrama and realize that over a million souls were lost in a war which started with the assasination of Archduke Ferninand and the similarities to another war [Viet Nam] in which the men returned home from battle only to be met with adversity, indifference and alienation, the hope that nothing like this ever happens again hits home. BTW, Jackson dedicates this film to, among others, his Grandfather who served in WWI.
Not that it's important, compared to all that, but how's the surround, mate?

Last edited:
Joe Dante's classic GREMLINS for children and adults of ALL ages was released on NATIVE UHD4K on October 1st for its 35th Anniversary from Warner Brothers with a remastered DTS MA HD 5.1 24/48 soundtrack [HDR]

Gremlins_4K1.jpg

Read the Review @ Highdefdigest: https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/73869/gremlins4kultrahdbluray.html

See the source image

A BOY and his GREMLIN🤩was it as good for you as it was for me?

Last edited:
Aretha Franklin's legendary LOST FILM "Amazing Grace" has finally been restored and has a 5.1 BD~V release on Studio Canal. Read the New York Times Review: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/arts/music/aretha-franklin-amazing-grace-documentary.html

Available from AmazonUK [Region B] watch the amazing video sample on the website:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Gr...5953&creativeASIN=B07RN6Y2FB&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
91uVgweBXQL._SL1500_.jpg
Not sure what to think about Dom Robinson's review for DVDFever.co.uk which in part stated:
"Note that it willl have been shot in 4:3, but the cropping top and bottom to give a now-traditional 16:9 ratio loses nothing important. In addition, there are options for stereo and 5.1 sound, but you’d be hard pushed to tell much difference other than, perhaps, moving some instruments into the rear speakers."
Duh!

Not sure what to think about Dom Robinson's review for DVDFever.co.uk which in part stated:
"Note that it willl have been shot in 4:3, but the cropping top and bottom to give a now-traditional 16:9 ratio loses nothing important. In addition, there are options for stereo and 5.1 sound, but you’d be hard pushed to tell much difference other than, perhaps, moving some instruments into the rear speakers."
Duh!

This documentary/music video is now being offered on Amazon Prime. As with even most modern concert videos, very few are actually discrete so it's not surprising that this doc is front heavy, especially considering its date of production.

Last edited:
Back