Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cruising (1980) BD:
1. New 4K scan. Looking pristine.
2. New 5.1 audio. Pretty decent too.
3. I enjoyed the score and soundtrack.
4. First time I've seen this and although I had a fair idea what I was getting into, I still watched parts of it through gaps between my fingers. Overall though, it's a decent murder mystery with a definite atmosphere. If you dug Taxi Driver's seedy NYC vibe, you'll probably appreciate this.
5. A couple of interesting extras from 2007.
6. Friedkin and Pacino (with a few cool cameos - "Hey, that's so-and-so!"); worth a look for this pairing alone.
7. Region B: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruising-B...ywords=cruising+blu+ray&qid=1572124496&sr=8-1

Well I watched the new Arrow 4K remaster [not to be confused with UHD4K] of John Landis' classic 80's werewolf romp AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON and was blown away by the uptick in quality. Remastered from the original Camera Negative it blew away all previous versions. From the first frames I was amazed how the heavy grain which used to permeate those opening scenes was totally absent. The film originally had a MONO soundtrack but the 5.1 was actually pretty discrete [Arrow also included the original Monaural track.... but 1.0].

As I mentioned previously, the new remaster comes in TWO versions: a stand alone BD~V and in a mini box set with a poster, lobby cards, booklet].

I'm sure down the pike Universal WILL release a UHD4K NATIVE [and IMO, definitive] remaster but until then .... this is the TITS!
912DT0BQ7lL._SL1500_.jpg

5. Possibly interesting side note: I seem to remember way more of the helicopter main rotor disc visible at the top of the screen in the opening sequence with the credits. It's still there in the last scene when the helicopter reaches the Overlook but it makes me think that they maybe were able to do some digital trickery to remove it from earlier scenes? I don't have a problem with these sorts of tidy-ups but thought it worth a mention.

Is it possibly just due to the difference between the "open matte" 4:3 transfers that were around for years vs. the newer transfers that are properly cropped?

Is it possibly just due to the difference between the "open matte" 4:3 transfers that were around for years vs. the newer transfers that are properly cropped?
Possibly but I seem to remember seeing more of the rotor disc on the previous BD (which was 16x9 like the new 4K) compared to the 4K. I might have to check them both and see if what I remember is real or not.

Coming December 2nd in the UK the 50th Anniversary NATIVE UHD 4K edition of

IMG_0161.jpeg

Folks who think Quentin Tarantino originated rock music soundtracks need to know this film.

1. "The Pusher" (Hoyt Axton) – 5:49
  2. "Born to Be Wild" (Mars Bonfire) – 3:37
    • Steppenwolf - Steppenwolf (1968)
  3. "The Weight" (Jaime Robbie Robertson) – 4:29
  4. "Wasn't Born to Follow" (Carole King/Gerry Goffin) – 2:03
  5. "If You Want to Be a Bird (Bird Song)" (Antonia Duren) – 2:35
  6. "Don't Bogart Me" (Elliot Ingber/Larry Wagner) – 3:05
  7. "If 6 Was 9" (Jimi Hendrix) – 5:35
  8. "Kyrie Eleison/Mardi Gras (When the Saints)" (Traditional, arranged by David Axelrod) – 4:00
  9. "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" (Bob Dylan) – 3:39
  10. "Ballad of Easy Rider" (Roger McGuinn/Bob Dylan) – 2:14
    • Roger McGuinn (1969)

For loyalist James Bond Fans, Amazon's Prime Video is showing most of the James Bond classics including Dr. No in pristine UHD 4K remasters this month. Watched Dr. No last night and it was indeed a revelation. Wonder how the Native UHD4K BDs will look. Also sport stunning 5.1 remixes.

See the source image

Midsommar - Director's Cut (2019) BD:
1. Some really good scenes with discreet surround activity and effective panning.
2. It's a brutal ride but worth a look if you dug Hereditary and certain other flicks from the 70's.
3. Did the SVS Ultra speaker upgrade this week and this was the first flick I watched after a few nights of rejigging levels/positions/distances + a couple of hours music listening. Well worth the spend.
4. Region B (with Theatrical Version): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Midsommar-...d=1573932428&sprefix=midsommar,aps,406&sr=8-1

For loyalist James Bond Fans, Amazon's Prime Video is showing most of the James Bond classics including Dr. No in pristine UHD 4K remasters this month. Watched Dr. No last night and it was indeed a revelation. Wonder how the Native UHD4K BDs will look. Also sport stunning 5.1 remixes.

See the source image
Following your lead I decided to binge on some James Bond movies over the weekend on Amazon Prime. I saw Dr. No, Goldfinger and Never Say Never again! I think only Dr. No was in 4k though.

Following your lead I decided to binge on some James Bond movies over the weekend on Amazon Prime. I saw Dr. No, Goldfinger and Never Say Never again! I think only Dr. No was in 4k though.

If you scroll further down on the Amazon Prime menu you will notice MOVIES in 4K and about a dozen BOND titles are indeed in UHD4K.

Those who have Amazon Prime [just type in the title in the search engine] may want to 'behold' Under The Silver Lake with the always engaging Andrew Garfield. Fantastic Production design, a nice discrete soundtrack and a little Hitchcock, David Lynch and Fellini ..... from the director of It Follows

71Sfg-caP9L._SL1229_.jpg

See the source image

Last edited:
Those who have Amazon Prime [just type in the title in the search engine] may want to 'behold' Under The Silver Lake with the always engaging Andrew Garfield. Fantastic Production design, a nice discrete soundtrack and a little Hitchcock, David Lynch and Fellini ..... from the director of It Follows

71Sfg-caP9L._SL1229_.jpg

See the source image
Well with those hypnotic penetrating eyes and coiffed styling, how can I not :)

Back