Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SHOUT SELECT will release Michael Cimino's THE DEER HUNTER on Native UHD 4K on May 26, 2020

https://www.amazon.com/The-Deer-Hun...ag=bluray-030-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

8184ViXvwTL._SL1500_.jpg

Believe
I knew it was gonna be 4K, but Shout :eek:

Shout your mouth

so drooling

Believe it or not, Shout has done some fine recent 4K [1080p] remasters. I just watched their 4K remaster of CANDY MAN which was pretty outstanding and it was only $11 at Deep Discount. I'm sure with this being their first true 4K release [collector's edition, no less] they won't screw up. Otherwise, there's always the UK 4K Deer Hunter remaster from Studio Canal:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deer-Hunte...&s=dvd&sprefix=the+deer+hunter,aps,205&sr=1-2

The Rise of Skywalker in 4K and Atmos. Second day isolated at home, so I watched again this movie with my son. I liked it even less that in the cinema, but nonetheless it was real fun. It has got some great moments in Atmos, like the Jedi voices joining Rey almost at the end.
Good Sunday afternoon, with a strange and false sense of normality.

Joan the Maid (1994) BD:
1. Jacques Rivette's almost 6 hour epic.
2. 4K restoration, so the image is superb.
3. 5.1 mix is very tame. Next to nothing in the LFE and only rarely is there any action in the surrounds.
4. Only one battle and don't expect Game of Thrones-level action. The movie is like watching a play - it's a drama rather than a War and Peace battle epic.
5. Great performances though and worth a look if you're in the mood.
6. Region A here: https://www.amazon.com/Joan-Maid-Bl...aid+blu+ray&qid=1585427706&s=movies-tv&sr=1-1

Hey Ralph.....you are such a movie buff. So, I NEVER, EVER watch movies. But, just now Mrs GOS and I watched Fast/Furious (first movie) on cable. Wow! So, I'm wondering, what is the copy to buy? This would be killer on my bigger screen......and 4K and maybe ATmos.

Hey Ralph.....you are such a movie buff. So, I NEVER, EVER watch movies. But, just now Mrs GOS and I watched Fast/Furious (first movie) on cable. Wow! So, I'm wondering, what is the copy to buy? This would be killer on my bigger screen......and 4K and maybe ATmos.

Gene, why should you and Mrs Gos settle for just one when you can have the Fast & Furious 8 disc collection in UHD4K for under $80.....WAAYYYY LESS during AmazonUS' Black Friday sales ... if you can wait! I paid $45, BRAND NEW, for this 8 disc collection ...just checked my AmazonUS order!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fast-and-Furious-8-Movie-Collection-4K-Blu-ray/240499/

John Carpenter's THE FOG [Studio Canal/Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby Vision]

Studio Canal has done both a yeoman's RESTORATION and REMASTER. Sound is AWESOME!

81wqO5amvLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
This movie gets mostly bad reviews on Amazon for being way too dark and grainy. Also, on their headliner for the disc it says " [Region Free} ". But down lower on the page there is a warning that it is "Playback Region B/2 ".
Anybody have it, or does anybody know? I have the bluray and love the movie and am interesting in upgrading, IF it will play in my Oppos and be improved.

This movie gets mostly bad reviews on Amazon for being way too dark and grainy. Also, on their headliner for the disc it says " [Region Free} ". But down lower on the page there is a warning that it is "Playback Region B/2 ".
Anybody have it, or does anybody know? I have the bluray and love the movie and am interesting in upgrading, IF it will play in my Oppos and be improved.

I have owned THE FOG on Laserdisc, VHS, DVD, Blu Ray and NOW UHD NATIVE 4K and believe me, it's the BEST IT HAS EVER LOOKED. Studio Canal has not only RESTORED the film negative from any wear or damage but has enhanced the soundtrack to where I found myself jumping more than a few times from ever so realistic sonic jolts.

ALL UHD 4K discs are REGION FREE and sometimes the included Blu Ray disc might be region locked. I'm utilizing an LG OLED 3D TV, with an OPPO 205 utilizing a Shunyata Research HDMI cable going directly from the OPPO to the LG TV's HDMI input. The picture is as sharp as a tack [some readers complained a lot of it was out of focus] and the colors are vibrant whether day or night locations. As far as being DARK and GRAINY: HOGWASH.

BUY with ABSOLUTE CONFIDENCE. If your TV monitor is set up properly, you will hopefully see what I see ..... AN INCREDIBLE NATIVE UHD4K TRANSFER!

BTW, the 3D Transfer of Terminator 2: Judgment Day was likewise panned in video reviews. On My System ..... it was SUPERB.

After reading a lot of pans on Amazon, I'm under the impression that a LOT of viewers have NO CLUE how to properly calibrate their TV Monitors.

BTW, a LOT of 3D Blu Ray discs [1080p] look as good [and some better] than UHD 4K transfers

Last edited:
last night I spun Luc's magic again..my wife had not seen this in decades and we enjoyed it VERY MUCH..and for once I played without any bass management(i.e. our bodies were shaking!!!)..such great fun...

"he's a SHE!"
"you noticed, huh?"
"YEAH!"
holm.jpg

btw I LOOVE the stewardesses with a little extra meat in their bellies...yummy!!!
jpg7.jpg

Ford v Ferrari (2019) 4K:
1. Great story, well told, nice performances and a fun watch.
2. Fidelity seemed particularly sharp on this. Sounded REALLY good.
3. Surround mix is pretty good. Some decent use of all channels with some really cool lows.

Plus 1 on this. Saw this a month ago not expecting much but was very very surprised at how good it was. One of the best of 2019 IMHO...

I know, I know ... the 'critical' reviews were dismal ..... had NOTHING to do with the preconceived Legend of Robin Hood, but if you want a FUN, state of the art UHD4K disc to show off your system .... Look NO further. The Native UHD4K disc was mastered from an 8K source and for the price of two Happy Meals [?] at The Golden Arches, this disc can be yours:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Robin-Hood-4K-Blu-ray/229309/
81u63NAcm4L._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: GOS
Back