Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From SHOUT SELECT Coming to home theaters on May 26th in Native UHD4K

71wsXsztYUL._SL1500_.jpg

The Fog (1980) 4K:
1. DTS-MA surround mix is virtually non-existent. Hardly anything coming from anywhere other than the fronts/centre.
2. Quite a few interesting extras on the accompanying BD.
3. It's visually a very dark movie but the image upgrade is worth a look. After watching the 4K and then the extras on the BD, the 4K improvement in detail and colour is very clear.
4. This is second-tier Carpy for me - not up there with The Thing and Christine but it's pretty decent for a traditional-type ghost story.

Re: WOTW 2005:

While the Atmos immersive elements of the remix are reported to be excellent, the system threatening (and demo worthy) LFE found on the DTS-HD bluray and DTS DVD are noted to be substantially neutered in the new Atmos remix. These reports are increasing by those with higher end set ups who have compared both mixes.

I'm all for Atmos, but this is yet another key reason why if you decide to offer a remix, *always*, always include the original mix. I don't get why studios cannot be consistent with this.
Paramount have totally screwed the pooch. They should recall all the discs and issue a new disc with corrected Bass.

Gravity (2013) BD:
1. I picked up the BD for $5 and watched it over the weekend for the first time since it came out.
2. Superb DTS-MA 5.1 mix. Up there with Roma for constant, discreet 5.1 content that matches what's happening on screen.
3. Great fidelity. Excellent score.
4. I find it an exciting watch. 3hrs of interesting extras on the BD too.

Last edited:
Gravity (2013) BD:
1. I picked up the BD for $5 and watched it over the weekend for the first time since it came out.
2. Superb DTS-MA 5.1 mix. Up there with Roma for constant, discreet 5.1 content that matches what's happening on screen.
3. Great fidelity. Excellent score.
4. I find it an exciting watch. 3hrs of interesting extras on the BD too.

I've yet to watch my 3D version of Gravity. Thanks for your mini review. I did read the 3D visuals are stunning!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gravity-3D-Blu-ray/82748/#Review

Please let us know how it does SURRSOUND!
Yep, very interested in this one. It was one of the first 1080p Blu-ray discs I bought years ago, and it was very enjoyable. I'm wondering whether the mix is the same...

EDIT: I've just checked my blu-ray disc. It doesn't have a lossless audio track, it's DTS 5.1! I cannot hear much in the rear channels, it's mainly reverb. Great film though.

Last edited:
I was watching a Hong Kong DVD called 'Golden Chicken' the other day and it had some interesting surround mix with wierd voices and effects in the rear speakers you don't often hear from Hong Kong movies. In fact the effects helped the movie feel and enjoyment

Back