Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W H O A ! I don't think I could handle a bigger television!
View attachment 54916

But my dear Clement, you haven't lived until you've experienced the Jaw Dropping STEELBOOK EDITION of the SHARKNADO COLLECTION in Glorious 5.1

811RNC%2B%2BxmL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
But my dear Clement, you haven't lived until you've experienced the Jaw Dropping STEELBOOK EDITION of the SHARKNADO COLLECTION in Glorious 5.1

811RNC%2B%2BxmL._SL1500_.jpg
actually, i think Jaws is about all Clement can handle! i recollect not being comfortable in freaking Lake Michigan until the mid-80s after having seen this movie in 1975! i'm kinda grateful the beaches are still closed in Chicago, cuz i'm gonna need another decade to recover! i'm a delicate flower, don't you know . . .
IMG_4999.JPG

what a great disc, though! i can't wait to show my daughter--she has never seen it and just missed an opportunity to see it at a drive-in! thanks SO much @Snood -- this was 10 bux WELL spent! can't wait to check out all the bells and whistles of this release!

actually, i think Jaws is about all Clement can handle! i recollect not being comfortable in freaking Lake Michigan until the mid-80s after having seen this movie in 1975! i'm kinda grateful the beaches are still closed in Chicago, cuz i'm gonna need another decade to recover! i'm a delicate flower, don't you know . . .View attachment 54918
what a great disc, though! i can't wait to show my daughter--she has never seen it and just missed an opportunity to see it at a drive-in! thanks SO much @Snood -- this was 10 bux WELL spent! can't wait to check out all the bells and whistles of this release!

Tragically, we've VERY recently had shark sitings up and down the East Coast and one woman recently lost her battle to an unprovoked shark attack. The perceived wisdom is don't wear anything shiny in the water or those sharks will mistake you for seals ....their food of choice! As far as you being a delicate flower.....STOP BEING A PANSY!

See the source image

See the source image
Ian Ziering...POST 90210 ..... Star of Sharknado

Last edited:
A disturbing yet powerfully moving film from Mexican director Issa López [Spanish with English subtitles/5.1] Steelbook Edition

A haunting horror fairytale set against the backdrop of Mexico's devastating drug wars, TIGERS ARE NOT AFRAID follows a group of orphaned children armed with three magical wishes, running from the ghosts that haunt them and the cartel that murdered their parents. Filmmaker Issa López creates a world that recalls the early films of Guillermo del Toro, imbued with her own gritty urban spin on magical realism to conjure a wholly unique experience that audiences will not soon forget.

• Rating:
    NR
  • Genre:
    Art House & International, Drama, Horror, Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • Directed By:
    Issa López
  • Written By:
    Issa López
  • In Theaters:
    Aug 21, 2019 Limited
  • Runtime:
    83 minutes
  • Studio:
    Variance Films

91Ghev61CZL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Been wanting a new ( to me) dark and smoky film noir movie to watch lately, any recommendations on one?
Hmm, new to you, eh? Hard to know what you've seen, but I'm guessing classics like Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, The Maltese Falcon, Laura, Gilda, The Big Sleep, The Asphalt Jungle are out then, eh? Actually, I'm prolly gonna list classics you've already seen, but here are some of my favs:

The Night of the Hunter
The Third Man
Odd Man Out
Lady From Shanghai
Out of the Past
On Dangerous Ground
The Woman in the Window
Quai des Orfèvres
Crimson Kimono
Scarlet Street
In a Lonely Place
Touch of Evil
Force of Evil
Le Deuxieme Souffle
The Third Man
The Big Heat

Kiss Me Deadly
The Reckless Moment
Nightmare Alley
Kansas City Confidential
The Hitch-Hiker
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Pickup on South Street
The Prowler
Gun Crazy
Night and the City
Detour
The Stranger

damn--SO many more! and don't get me started on neo-noirs!

Hmm, new to you, eh? Hard to know what you've seen, but I'm guessing classics like Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, The Maltese Falcon, Laura, Gilda, The Big Sleep, The Asphalt Jungle are out then, eh? Actually, I'm prolly gonna list classics you've already seen, but here are some of my favs:

The Night of the Hunter
The Third Man
Odd Man Out
Lady From Shanghai
Out of the Past
On Dangerous Ground
The Woman in the Window
Quai des Orfèvres
Crimson Kimono
Scarlet Street
In a Lonely Place
Touch of Evil
Force of Evil
Le Deuxieme Souffle
The Third Man
The Big Heat

Kiss Me Deadly
The Reckless Moment
Nightmare Alley
Kansas City Confidential
The Hitch-Hiker
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Pickup on South Street
The Prowler
Gun Crazy
Night and the City
Detour
The Stranger

I've literally never seen any of those movies.

Been wanting a new ( to me) dark and smoky film noir movie to watch lately, any recommendations on one?
Unlike Clement (great list BTW!) I would suggest a newer classic: Body Double by Brian De Palma. In fact most of Brian De Palma's movies answer your question. This movie plays homage to Rear Window so that's a great basis. Along with Blue Velvet these are two films that grabs your attention & thrills to the end.

It is released in Blu-Ray 5.1 but I can't vouch for the surround-a-phonic quality as I have only DVD 2.0. Considering the scenes & music it could be very good.

The Night of the Hunter
The Third Man
Odd Man Out
Lady From Shanghai
Out of the Past
On Dangerous Ground
The Woman in the Window
Quai des Orfèvres
Crimson Kimono
Scarlet Street
In a Lonely Place
Touch of Evil
Force of Evil
Le Deuxieme Souffle
The Third Man
The Big Heat

Kiss Me Deadly
The Reckless Moment
Nightmare Alley
Kansas City Confidential
The Hitch-Hiker
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Pickup on South Street
The Prowler
Gun Crazy
Night and the City
Detour
The Stranger

Great 👍 list to look over, and yes let’s have those neo-noirs:p
I was thinking last night, I believe there should be a new noir made (in quasi black and white of course) ‘cause I never seem satisfied with all the ones I’ve seen so far. Like a real mega multi Oscar winner I can belly up to a big buttery bowl of popcorn 🍿 with!

Unlike Clement (great list BTW!) I would suggest a newer classic: Body Double by Brian De Palma. In fact most of Brian De Palma's movies answer your question. This movie plays homage to Rear Window so that's a great basis. Along with Blue Velvet these are two films that grabs your attention & thrills to the end.

Don't even get me started on how awesome Body Double is but apparently the best PQ version is the rare

Indicator Series | Limited Edition Powerhouse Films

"which was also used for the French release that Carlotta Films produced in 2015"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Double-Blu-ray/dp/B01KOWQ35O
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Body-Double-Blu-ray/162623/

Last edited:
Yeah, I don’t know 🤷‍♂️ some of those look familiar; but he came up with that list so dang quick, whoa 😮 spun my head around.
Clement does not eat, sleep or poop. He just listens to music, watches movies, & types at the same time....

Thanks to Turner Movie Classic's on the telly I've been watching quite a few of the earlier noir detective movies. My fave so far is Kiss Me Deadly.

Clement does not eat, sleep or poop. He just listens to music, watches movies, & types at the same time....

Thanks to Turner Movie Classic's on the telly I've been watching quite a few of the earlier noir detective movies. My fave so far is Kiss Me Deadly.
i most certainly eat and poop--i just do it from the sweet spot! actually, music and movies are all that keep me sane during these crazy daze!

One of my fondest memories was in the 70’s I was living in an old farm house outside Omaha while in the Air Force; it was a stormy night and I was in my bed upstairs watching (for the first time) the Basil Rathbone- Hound of the Baskervilles. At the time I’d had a little Smokey myself and even on a little TV the acoustics in that small attic like bedroom made it perfectly eerie. A night I’ll never forget. Thinking what they could do with Atmos mix these days?

Great 👍 list to look over, and yes let’s have those neo-noirs:p
I was thinking last night, I believe there should be a new noir made (in quasi black and white of course) ‘cause I never seem satisfied with all the ones I’ve seen so far. Like a real mega multi Oscar winner I can belly up to a big buttery bowl of popcorn 🍿 with!
i certainly concur with @Sonik Wiz about DePalma, and Blue Velvet does sound good in surround (i'm sure i posted about the Criterion Blu-ray at some point). So neo-noirs, eh? How about another great Lynch
Mulholland Drive
A History of Violence
(maybe Cronenberg's best film and one i saw in a recent film studies class)

Thief (i'm sure i posted about the Criterion Blu-ray of this one, too)
The Dark Knight (i must have posted about this one, too!)
Heat
L.A. Confidential
Blood Simple
(the Coen bros have lots of noir-ish stuff: The Big Lebowski, Fargo)
The Long Goodbye
Night Moves
Chinatown
Point Blank
Body Heat
The Grifters
Brick
(my students turned me on to this one--it's about high school students!)
Sin City (another one students insisted i see)
Se7en (students voted to watch this one in class! i had never seen it before)
Memento
Inherent Vice
Mother (
Bong Joon-ho also released this one in black and white!)
oo! one of my daughter's favorites when she was a wee thing: Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

i certainly concur with @Sonik Wiz about DePalma, and Blue Velvet does sound good in surround (i'm sure i posted about the Criterion Blu-ray at some point). So neo-noirs, eh? How about another great Lynch
Mulholland Drive
A History of Violence
(maybe Cronenberg's best film and one i saw in a recent film studies class)

Thief (i'm sure i posted about the Criterion Blu-ray of this one, too)

The Dark Knight (i must have posted about this one, too!)
Heat
L.A. Confidential

Blood Simple (the Coen bros have lots of noir-ish stuff: The Big Lebowski, Fargo)
The Long Goodbye
Night Moves

Chinatown
Point Blank
Body Heat
The Grifters

Brick (my students turned me on to this one--it's about high school students!)
Sin City (another one students insisted i see)

Se7en (students voted to watch this one in class! i had never seen it before)
Memento
Inherent Vice
Mother (
Bong Joon-ho also released this one in black and white!)
oo! one of my daughter's favorites when she was a wee thing: Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

now you're speaking my language

I could go on and on

I'm just gonna say it, if humans are this specific then that's a bad problem that I don't think can be fixed

kinda like how I just realized if you highlight and bold a selection in a quoted post it actually shows up the reverse, as italicized as opposed to bolded

what's up with that lol?

Back