Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i certainly concur with @Sonik Wiz about DePalma, and Blue Velvet does sound good in surround (i'm sure i posted about the Criterion Blu-ray at some point). So neo-noirs, eh? How about another great Lynch
Mulholland Drive
A History of Violence
(maybe Cronenberg's best film and one i saw in a recent film studies class)

Thief (i'm sure i posted about the Criterion Blu-ray of this one, too)
The Dark Knight (i must have posted about this one, too!)
Heat
L.A. Confidential
Blood Simple
(the Coen bros have lots of noir-ish stuff: The Big Lebowski, Fargo)
The Long Goodbye
Night Moves
Chinatown
Point Blank
Body Heat
The Grifters
Brick
(my students turned me on to this one--it's about high school students!)
Sin City (another one students insisted i see)
Se7en (students voted to watch this one in class! i had never seen it before)
Memento
Inherent Vice
Mother (
Bong Joon-ho also released this one in black and white!)
oo! one of my daughter's favorites when she was a wee thing: Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Think I’ve seen all that list, a good bunch. Actually have Memento saved on my DVR to watch soon, one of my favs haven’t seen in awhile.

took three film study classes since i retired and went back to school to get my CADC--love me some movies! maybe the greatest art form!
words to live by for me- "Learning is the Great Adventure"

Here's one I just caught, sort of a Western Film Noir, very unusual and takes you on a bronc ride; reminds some of a Coen Bro. style.

slow west 2015 poster.jpg

words to live by for me- "Learning is the Great Adventure"

Here's one I just caught, sort of a Western Film Noir, very unusual and takes you on a bronc ride; reminds some of a Coen Bro. style.

View attachment 54960
NICE! where did you catch the film? you know Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man? i think that's one helluva western! with an amazing Neil Young soundtrack--sadly, only 2.0 on the Criterion Blu-ray

NICE! where did you catch the film? you know Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man? i think that's one helluva western! with an amazing Neil Young soundtrack--sadly, only 2.0 on the Criterion Blu-ray
Showtime channel on my U-verse service.

speaking of film class, I learned about this masterpiece in a film class I took in College.

Lina Wertmüller's -
Swept Away
do not go near that abysmal dog crap Madonna version, it will taint you!

very misogynistic and disturbing and from a woman director no less, but perhaps that was the whole point. Just because you don't tell a story does not mean it doesn't exist, and can be a lesson for others how not to behave. A clash of status and politics as well.

You still don't know Gennarino Carunchio ✊

LW-SA.jpg

Showtime channel on my U-verse service.

speaking of film class, I learned about this masterpiece in a film class I took in College.

Lina Wertmüller's -Swept Away
do not go near that abysmal dog crap Madonna version, it will taint you!

very misogynistic and disturbing and from a woman director no less, but perhaps that was the whole point. Just because you don't tell a story does not mean it doesn't exist, and can be a lesson for others how not to behave. A clash of status and politics as well.

You still don't know Gennarino Carunchio ✊

View attachment 54961
wOw! my undergrad film studies class (maybe 1980 or 81?) introduced me to Wertmüller and Giannini through her 1975 film Pasqualino Settebellezze: Seven Beauties! i love me some Lina!
1596830723720.png

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/seven-beauties-v43831http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_79/seven_beauties_blu-ray.htm

Hmm, new to you, eh? Hard to know what you've seen, but I'm guessing classics like Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, The Maltese Falcon, Laura, Gilda, The Big Sleep, The Asphalt Jungle are out then, eh? Actually, I'm prolly gonna list classics you've already seen, but here are some of my favs:

The Night of the Hunter
The Third Man
Odd Man Out
Lady From Shanghai
Out of the Past
On Dangerous Ground
The Woman in the Window
Quai des Orfèvres
Crimson Kimono
Scarlet Street
In a Lonely Place
Touch of Evil
Force of Evil
Le Deuxieme Souffle
The Third Man
The Big Heat

Kiss Me Deadly
The Reckless Moment
Nightmare Alley
Kansas City Confidential
The Hitch-Hiker
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Pickup on South Street
The Prowler
Gun Crazy
Night and the City
Detour
The Stranger

damn--SO many more! and don't get me started on neo-noirs!

If I may, I'll add The Killers, The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, Dark Passage, DOA and Mildred Pierce

Not a movie, but I’m in the middle of the second season of “Umbrella Academy” on Netflix and this is one of the best surround mixes I’ve heard in a while. Including a lot of music mixed discreetly that I’ve never heard in 5.1 before.

Unfortunately the only song I can remember being used off the top of my head is “Renegade” by Styx, which I’m pretty sure is the same mix found on Tidal. But whoever mixed this show takes their surround pretty seriously!

Not a movie, but I’m in the middle of the second season of “Umbrella Academy” on Netflix and this is one of the best surround mixes I’ve heard in a while. Including a lot of music mixed discreetly that I’ve never heard in 5.1 before.

Unfortunately the only song I can remember being used off the top of my head is “Renegade” by Styx, which I’m pretty sure is the same mix found on Tidal. But whoever mixed this show takes their surround pretty seriously!

LOVE this show. And Season 2, Episode I was a surround feast for the ears!

wOw! my undergrad film studies class (maybe 1980 or 81?) introduced me to Wertmüller and Giannini through her 1975 film Pasqualino Settebellezze: Seven Beauties! i love me some Lina!
View attachment 54967
https://www.allmovie.com/movie/seven-beauties-v43831http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_79/seven_beauties_blu-ray.htm

But of course one of Wertmüller's Crowning Achievements was SEVEN BEAUTIES with the incomparable Shirley Stoler.......in MONO~MIA!

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

Last edited:
Thespian Edward Norton's directorial debut with an all star cast and a phenomenol and I MEAN PHENOMENOL 5.1 Jazz Soundtrack [I'm buying the soundtrack .... it really is THAT SUPERB].

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Motherless-Brooklyn-Blu-ray/256230/#Review
91hZK3xOZzL._SL1500_.jpg
81XJ7d%2BQCbL._SL1500_.jpg

EDIT: I just ordered the soundtrack!

Thom Yorke & Flea, Wynton Marsalis, and Daniel Pemberton are some of the musical heavyweights whose music is featured on the soundtrack to “Motherless Brooklyn” - the film directed, written by, produced by and starring Edward Norton. Featured on the album are two versions of the song “Daily Battles , each performed by musical icons of modern music. Thom Yorke ( who wrote the song) along with Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Atoms For Peace) performs a sparse and emotionally stunning version. The other version of “Daily Battles” was arranged and performed by jazz trumpet icon Wynton Marsalis, who, along with his hand-picked quintet of heavy-hitter-jazz-stalwarts delivers an instant jazz standard version of the song that conjures images of the 1950’s-era gin-soaked Harlem jazz club seen in the film. Additionally the album showcases new recordings of several jazz classics along with and songs created by in-demand composer Daniel Pemberton – all in that same smoky-jazz-club vibe - recorded by Marsalis and his ensemble specifically for the film.
Not exactly the Film Noir I was looking for, but yes this is a great little ride for sure. Only half way through, but a lot to like so far. Some of the best movie Jazz I've heard in a while. Now if they'd just filmed it with a little bit of washed out cinematography, it would have slid right into my Noir back pocket for good.

Not exactly the Film Noir I was looking for, but yes this is a great little ride for sure. Only half way through, but a lot to like so far. Some of the best movie Jazz I've heard in a while. Now if they'd just filmed it with a little bit of washed out cinematography, it would have slid right into my Noir back pocket for good.

I was ultimately a bit disappointed with the film but I did order the magnifico soundtrack album from Amazon. Should have it by next week!

Now $9.99 @ AmazonUS. STUNNING NATIVE UHD4K Remaster. HURRY! This offer won't last long!

https://www.amazon.com/The-Blues-Br...ag=bluray-030-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks for the heads up. 🗣 🤯
My copy arrived today.

I don't even have a 4K TV, much less atmos, but the 7.1 mix on the UHD blu ray is excellent.
So much Duck Dunn bass guitar in the center channel I had to crank it down and mute the sub.

There was a second HD blu ray in the package with 5.1 DTS, plus a download code to "watch anywhere" on your phone.
Never bought this movie in any format, so a nice score to balance all the stuff I bought on VHS and watched once. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Been wanting a new ( to me) dark and smoky film noir movie to watch lately, any recommendations on one?

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but Noir Alley hosted by Eddie Muller on TCM is a great source not only of the films
but also the back stories behind them. The show is on hiatus till September and is on Saturdays at midnight with a replay
Sunday morning at 10. VERY entertaining.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but Noir Alley hosted by Eddie Muller on TCM is a great source not only of the films
but also the back stories behind them. The show is on hiatus till September and is on Saturdays at midnight with a replay
Sunday morning at 10. VERY entertaining.
Thanks, didn’t know about that, definitely will check it out!

Back