Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming September 22 from Warner Home Video

91EBtcoYJVL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Thespian Edward Norton's directorial debut with an all star cast and a phenomenol and I MEAN PHENOMENOL 5.1 Jazz Soundtrack [I'm buying the soundtrack .... it really is THAT SUPERB].

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Motherless-Brooklyn-Blu-ray/256230/#Review
91hZK3xOZzL._SL1500_.jpg
81XJ7d%2BQCbL._SL1500_.jpg

EDIT: I just ordered the soundtrack!

Thom Yorke & Flea, Wynton Marsalis, and Daniel Pemberton are some of the musical heavyweights whose music is featured on the soundtrack to “Motherless Brooklyn” - the film directed, written by, produced by and starring Edward Norton. Featured on the album are two versions of the song “Daily Battles , each performed by musical icons of modern music. Thom Yorke ( who wrote the song) along with Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Atoms For Peace) performs a sparse and emotionally stunning version. The other version of “Daily Battles” was arranged and performed by jazz trumpet icon Wynton Marsalis, who, along with his hand-picked quintet of heavy-hitter-jazz-stalwarts delivers an instant jazz standard version of the song that conjures images of the 1950’s-era gin-soaked Harlem jazz club seen in the film. Additionally the album showcases new recordings of several jazz classics along with and songs created by in-demand composer Daniel Pemberton – all in that same smoky-jazz-club vibe - recorded by Marsalis and his ensemble specifically for the film.
Finished this one tonight, and read that Norton wanted a Miles feel to the music, and the Baldwin character (builder-power broker) was written in response to the last election and a certain sitting President.
If you watch the movie pay attention to the song during the slow dance at the Jazz Club (Red Rooster) it's got some of the most gorgeous piano chords I've ever heard. Too bad the movie lost money at the Box Office, it deserved better.

Finished this one tonight, and read that Norton wanted a Miles feel to the music, and the Baldwin character (builder-power broker) was written in response to the last election and a certain sitting President.
If you watch the movie pay attention to the song during the slow dance at the Jazz Club (Red Rooster) it's got some of the most gorgeous piano chords I've ever heard. Too bad the movie lost money at the Box Office, it deserved better.

Pupster, methinks the Alec Baldwin Character, 'Moses' Randolph, was rather based on New York City's Master Builder Robert Moses...especially considering the time period in which this film took place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moses

Pupster, methinks the Alec Baldwin Character, 'Moses' Randolph, was rather based on New York City's Master Builder Robert Moses...especially considering the time period in which this film took place.

True, modeled after Moses but also extra motivation due to similar characteristics (see the article below) and from a “Chinatown” (74’ movie) political slant about power grabs in the guise of revitalization for the benefit of “The Future.” One of neo-noir’s best.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/edward-nortons-impassioned-project-motherless-brooklyn
I first became aware of Norton from the movie Primal Fear, in which Norton really impressed me with his acting.

I’ll need to order the CD soundtrack also. Hope you don’t mind some cross thread rambling, but I’ve always thought that soundtracks like this one could be excellent on a BD Atmos audio disc, as much for the sound quality as any surround mix. Another one that would be great in that way BTW is the soundtrack for “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"- (Alexandre Michel Gérard Desplat ) Of course there are tons more I’d buy in a heartbeat 💗 if available. Too bad we typically just get bits and pieces of the music in most movies, as it would be possible to rip them if they were whole pieces from the movie discs.

Last edited:
True, modeled after Moses but also extra motivation due to similar characteristics (see the article below) and from a “Chinatown” (74’ movie) political slant about power grabs in the guise of revitalization for the benefit of “The Future.” One of neo-noir’s best.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/edward-nortons-impassioned-project-motherless-brooklyn
I first became aware of Norton from the movie Primal Fear, in which Norton really impressed me with his acting.

Edward Norton's performance in Primal Fear was extraordinary and certainly catapulted his career into the stratosphere as did American History X and Fight Club.

Funny you mention CHINATOWN, that article about Norton's rekindled passion for Motherless Brookyn in Vanity Fair based on the 2016 elections had a blurb on the bottom about Ben Affleck wanting to Make a Movie based on the Making of Chinatown:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...9b5-2b5e-4c0e-a6b1-36f9975c4378_text2vec1-mab
Pupster, I should have that soundtrack to Motherless Brooklyn soon so I'll let you know how it fares. Unfortunately, soundtrack music is LOW on the totem pole as regards 5.1 much less Atmos remixes [Only a VERY few ever reach that plateau] but I do know that unlike ROCK/POP, the RBCD releases are usually free of compression artifacts and should sound 'reasonably' fine.

I just 'beheld' the magnificent Kino Lorber remaster of DIVA, a French cult classic which won the equivalent of four French Academy Awards [the César]. Stylistically brilliant for a debut film released in 1981, it remains timeless. I originally had DIVA on Laserdisc but this new BD~V remaster with lossless stereo audio is revelatory, the soundtrack is gorgeous and I would recommend this film to anyone who loves French cinema with a twist of perfection.

71KVokPkMUL._SL1500_.jpg

See the source image

Last edited:
Watched last night:
ALIENS COWBOYS.jpg

I confess it was not on Blu-Ray but VUDU, a very good but sadly under rated streaming service.
Directed by Jon Favreau, starring Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, & Olivia Wilde. It was considered a box office failure even tho it turned a profit. The reviews I've read are very mixed. Seems you either love this movie or hate it. I loved it. Considering the humorous title the movie is dead serious; not a cracked smile or in joke anywhere. That I think is it's really winning point. The surround was excellent & had a few times being quite startled. VUDUI has really high quality audio. Highly recommended!

NETFLIX is now streaming a 2 part documentary of crooner Frank Sinatra's ALL or NOTHING AT ALL [roughly 4 hours] which originally appeared on HBO in 2015. Watched it last night. Very fascinating overview of the Chairman of the Board and a MUST for FANS [like ME]

See the source image

Haven't seen it yet but if it's anything else like other Alex Gibney works then it's sure to be good.

Here's a list of Gibney's works and I bolded what I like or have seen.

What I truly LOVE about Amazon Prime is their immense selection of Indie Films which are shown in pristine print quality and immersive 5.1 sound. One such film is this 2014 Indie sleeper [rotten tomato audience score 91%] which I watched last night and is filmed in the majestic splendor of Wyoming's Yellowstone National Park

See the source image

I am fairly new to the surround sound game and I am wondering if there are any surround movies that have great surround sound. I am looking for movies that contain a lot of rear channel action. Most all of the surround movies I watch only have a few things in the rears. I am not partial to it being music or dialog just great examples of surround movies.
Too many to list but some of the best
Ready Player One
Aquaman
Harry Potter all
Transformers last few

Back