Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitch Black (4K):
1. DTS-MA 5.1 is fine. Might be the same as the BD. Fidelity is excellent. Surround mix is pretty decent with a few cool discrete moments with the creature "calls".
2. Incredible image improvement. Colours are fantastic and way more detail than has previously been available. Well worth the upgrade for this alone.
3. Some decent new extras along with all the previous extras. Shame there's nothing new from Radha or Vin, especially considering that this thing put them both firmly on the map. Oh well, not a major.
4. Director's and Theatrical cuts on the 4K. I watched the Director's cut. I don't think I've seen it since the days of DVD. It's only a few minutes longer than the Theatrical cut but adds some extra important detail that makes motivations clearer. Weird how it was cut in the first place.
5. I find this a fun movie, lots of cool quotes and it's even better now with the 4K image upgrade.

WHOA! Although i got a KICK outta the Bruce Lee Criterion Collection, when it comes to surround PUNCH, it's got NOTHING on this
1603670967057.png

The action sequences are INTENSE on the Cantonese DTS-HS Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack--broken glass everywhere! Jackie punching all his enemies like he just don't care! I picked this up during the recent Criterion 50%-off Flash Sale, and i feel as if i got some serious BANG for my buck!
https://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/b...d-police-story-2-on-the-criterion-collection/https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/73821/police-story-police-story-2/

A 'BLAST FROM THE PAST!' Mark Robson's Production of FROM THE TERRACE, based on John O'Hara's novel, with terrific performances from Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward and Ina Balin. Sadly, Twilight Time Movies which shuttered their doors earlier this year released quality remasters often isolating the soundtrack as a bonus. In this case Elmer Bernstein's score sounds wonderful in Dolby Surround.

71q7nhxIo-L._SL1263_.jpg

A 'BLAST FROM THE PAST!' Mark Robson's Production of FROM THE TERRACE, based on John O'Hara's novel, with terrific performances from Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward and Ina Balin. Sadly, Twilight Time Movies which shuttered their doors earlier this year released quality remasters often isolating the soundtrack as a bonus. In this case Elmer Bernstein's score sounds wonderful in Dolby Surround.

71q7nhxIo-L._SL1263_.jpg
I ordered this in their closing down sale but they ran out before they could fulfill my order so I missed out. Oh well. I'm sure Indicator or Imprint or some other dudes will release it again in future. Hard to go wrong with the Newman and Woodward.

I ordered this in their closing down sale but they ran out before they could fulfill my order so I missed out. Oh well. I'm sure Indicator or Imprint or some other dudes will release it again in future. Hard to go wrong with the Newman and Woodward.

It's a great remaster but the soundtrack is a bit wonky but satisfying. It's like a turgid Douglas Sirk melodrama but the performances are great! Hope you manage to get a copy. Will surely miss Twilight Time Movies ........I'm sure they would have eventually released in 4K but alas .... NOT

It's a great remaster but the soundtrack is a bit wonky but satisfying. It's like a turgid Douglas Sirk melodrama but the performances are great! Hope you manage to get a copy. Will surely miss Twilight Time Movies ........I'm sure they would have eventually released in 4K but alas .... NOT
Nice! Yeah, it's a shame that twilight set on Twilight Time. At least there are lots of other companies doing the duty: Arrow, Indicator, Imprint, Kino Lorber, Criterion, BFI, Warner Archives, Network, 88 Films + some are starting 4K releases too like Arrow with Pitch Black.

For the ENCORE Presentation of THE COTTON CLUB, director Francis Ford Coppola excised footage which he felt unnecessary and refreshed it with 30 minutes of added footage, mostly restoring the brilliantly executed musical numbers which ended up on the cutting room floor.

AmazonUS is now 'blowing it out' for $9.99.

For the first time THE restored COTTON CLUB is now available with a discrete Dolby True HD 5.1 soundtrack on BD~V!

See the source image

Oh, To Be A FLY ON THE WALL!

81YW-kOQu2L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
For the ENCORE Presentation of THE COTTON CLUB, director Francis Ford Coppola excised footage which he felt unnecessary and refreshed it with 30 minutes of added footage, mostly restoring the brilliantly executed musical numbers which ended up on the cutting room floor.

AmazonUS is now 'blowing it out' for $9.99.

For the first time THE restored COTTON CLUB is now available with a discrete Dolby True HD 5.1 soundtrack!

See the source image

Oh, To Be A FLY ON THE WALL!

81YW-kOQu2L._SL1500_.jpg

At the time the movie came out I was well aware of it but passed it by. Probably because I was more focused on Purple Rain that came out the same year. But this was a good post to read & for the low cost of admission I have just ordered it. Probably will make a great weekend watch.

I'd also like to point out that like Tower Records, The Cotton Club is alive & well in Tokyo:

http://www.cottonclubjapan.co.jp/jp/
And The Blue Note Jazz Lounge in NY also has a branch in Japanland:

https://bluenotejapan.jp/en/

At the time the movie came out I was well aware of it but passed it by. Probably because I was more focused on Purple Rain that came out the same year. But this was a good post to read & for the low cost of admission I have just ordered it. Probably will make a great weekend watch.

I'd also like to point out that like Tower Records, The Cotton Club is alive & well in Tokyo:

http://www.cottonclubjapan.co.jp/jp/
And The Blue Note Jazz Lounge in NY also has a branch in Japanland:

https://bluenotejapan.jp/en/

VERY IRONIC, SW, that there IS a COTTON CLUB in Toyko considering it featured ALL BLACK PERFORMERS at the time. Will wonders ever cease?

See the source image

Last edited:
Back