Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually like my movie purchases CHEAP but I just splurged on A 24's Native UHD4K 171 minute Director's Cut of MIDSOMMAR in special packaging. I will report back as soon as I watch it.

https://shop.a24films.com/collectio...ts/midsommar-directors-cut-collectors-edition

See the source image

I watched The Dark Knight and visually spectacular, the new OLED TV really works well with the blacks and overall darkness of this video, not to mention a very entertaining movie. The audio 5.1 only, my AVR upmixed to NeuralX or something like that. I heard it as discrete 5.1 but the 4 heights where a faux surround as they where super active whereas real Atmos is a little here and there. Heath Ledger is just fantastic, best Joker ever.
91ugoI8z9aL._SY679_.jpg

Well, out of character, last night I watched a movie I had recently purchased. It was sort of fun watching a movie, but honestly, I found myself thoroughly distracted. Just not a movie guy....

For the record, it was Fury. Atmos. The gun fire was amazing. I had to turn my sub down significantly. I mean, I thought the house was coming down.

Well, out of character, last night I watched a movie I had recently purchased. It was sort of fun watching a movie, but honestly, I found myself thoroughly distracted. Just not a movie guy....

For the record, it was Fury. Atmos. The gun fire was amazing. I had to turn my sub down significantly. I mean, I thought the house was coming down.

LOL, GENE: Attention Deficit Syndrome!

Catching up on older and current films have kept me [somewhat] SANE during this pandemic!

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS

I think an exploration of our music/movie habits is worthy of a thread on its own.
For myself even tho I've been retired almost 2 years it never occurs to me I can listen to music as easily at 9AM as 9PM. Well, it occurs but somehow it just seems I should be doing stuff morning/afternoon rather than lounge around. And my Bassment set up is in the basement so that is nice in some ways but also removes me from the regular household environment during the day.

So music & movies continues to be an after dinner treat. In general I start off with a movie or TV series on Netflix, whatever. As an anime fan the episodes are 24 min long so you're not committed to a 2hr movie. Eventually I do get around to enjoying music which can start the whole evening over again.

I think an exploration of our music/movie habits is worthy of a thread on its own.
For myself even tho I've been retired almost 2 years it never occurs to me I can listen to music as easily at 9AM as 9PM. Well, it occurs but somehow it just seems I should be doing stuff morning/afternoon rather than lounge around. And my Bassment set up is in the basement so that is nice in some ways but also removes me from the regular household environment during the day.

So music & movies continues to be an after dinner treat. In general I start off with a movie or TV series on Netflix, whatever. As an anime fan the episodes are 24 min long so you're not committed to a 2hr movie. Eventually I do get around to enjoying music which can start the whole evening over again.

I'm semi~retired but during this pandemic I'm 'suffering' from that Non-24-hour sleep–wake disorder! So, like yourself, SW, whether I listen to music or watch movies at odd hours, what's the difference?

Thankfully, I do have Netflix/Prime Video and a HUGE collection of BD~Vs and UHD4K discs and my poor mailman is weary from delivering all those packages from Amazon, Deep Discount and ImportCD ....but thankfully, I never weary of listening to or watching them!

Last edited:
For myself even tho I've been retired almost 2 years it never occurs to me I can listen to music as easily at 9AM as 9PM. Well, it occurs but somehow it just seems I should be doing stuff morning/afternoon rather than lounge around.

After five years I have the same problem. Nearly four decades of full-time employment has warped my tiny little brain.

Last edited:
Ralph Potts over on AVSforum says this about LOTR Atmos mixes:

Quote:
The surround mixes effectively place effects/sounds within the soundstage which place you within the scene, in turn, adding an enriching element that heightens the intended feeling like something is passing overhead, traveling through the room, or emanating from a specific location. The series active moments, of which there are many, swallow you up as the revolving, rotating and all-encompassing surround sound comes at you from all sides.

There is also much to enjoy in scenes that aren’t actively intense as smaller elements in the background are articulated and dimensionally full. In general, this Dolby Atmos mix made for an involving surround sound display. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and discrete object placement. In my humble opinion Dolby Atmos is simply the best game in town, adding a complimentary element to an already superb soundtrack.

There are both large set pieces and smaller/brief sequences/moments that show off this well-crafted immersive sound design. Everything comes together during the final encounter in Return of the King as sounds rotate and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. Wow! A tour deforce where I was blown away by the perfect blend of atmosphere, discrete object placement and room energizing bass. I think that it complimented the source material, and made for an entertaining and invigorating listening experience.

Ralph Potts over on AVSforum says this about LOTR Atmos mixes:

Quote:
The surround mixes effectively place effects/sounds within the soundstage which place you within the scene, in turn, adding an enriching element that heightens the intended feeling like something is passing overhead, traveling through the room, or emanating from a specific location. The series active moments, of which there are many, swallow you up as the revolving, rotating and all-encompassing surround sound comes at you from all sides.

There is also much to enjoy in scenes that aren’t actively intense as smaller elements in the background are articulated and dimensionally full. In general, this Dolby Atmos mix made for an involving surround sound display. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and discrete object placement. In my humble opinion Dolby Atmos is simply the best game in town, adding a complimentary element to an already superb soundtrack.

There are both large set pieces and smaller/brief sequences/moments that show off this well-crafted immersive sound design. Everything comes together during the final encounter in Return of the King as sounds rotate and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. Wow! A tour deforce where I was blown away by the perfect blend of atmosphere, discrete object placement and room energizing bass. I think that it complimented the source material, and made for an entertaining and invigorating listening experience.

Another OVER THE TOP REVIEW of the LOTR from the digital bits:

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-2020-4k-uhd

Back