Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Director Brandon Cronenberg, the uncut version in Native UHD4K, HDR10 and 5.1

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Possessor-4K-Blu-ray/276874/#Review

51OKhj57yZL.jpg

Seriously!?! The review says 2.0! It's actually surround?!? I'm going to need to purchase that one--i sincerely adore it--such a brilliant take on Billy Budd (Britten's opera was the very first opera i saw live!). And what Denis has to say about French colonialism still resonates. I'm dumbfounded it's in surround! What's up with those reviews! Are the special features revelatory?
The Criterion Blu-ray of Beau Travail is NOT surround. I own it. It is an uncompressed stereo soundtrack as it says on the Criterion site Beau travail

I know it´s NOT a movie but me and my wife are enjoying this immensely...kinda sad it has never been released on BD..
Best writing EVER..and , well...a six foot tall sexy beauty (OK she's about 5'8", but still...)
14-min-4.jpg

17-min-4.jpg

18-min-4.jpg

39-min-3.jpg

1-min-4.jpg

2-min-4.jpg

oops...! how did this extra pic get in here?? oh well, guess I can´t have enough Stana!!!!
49-Hottest-Stana-Katic-Big-Butt-Pictures-Proves-She-Is-The-Sexiest-Celeb-In-Hollywood.jpg

On my system it came out of all 5 speakers so it is at least DOLBY SURROUND. The movie's END credits also list it as being released in DOLBY DIGITAL!
Well, based on your recoRAMdation, i picked this up to hear the surround . . . which does NOT exist! @peeair is correct:

260CD7FE-6286-42D7-A09C-3DFC09DF1479_1_201_a.jpeg

There is ONLY one audio track, and that track is, as you can see from my screenshot, 2.0. Also, EVERY review and criterion's own site clearly note that the audio is 2.0. To your point, i can hear Britten blasting from my rear speakers, but i must put my AVR in NEURAL X or DOLBY SURROUND mode; when my AVR is in DIRECT mode, i get what is on the blu-ray: 2.0 from ONLY my front speakers. Although i was disappointed that no surround exists (and i am able to to get my faux surround fix, though i do prefer DIRECT mode), i am enamored of the film and it does look beautiful. i'll comment no more on the audio as this thread is titled "Surround movies." But i will note that purchasing and then watching the film makes it eligible for me to write about it in the "Movies you've seen over 5 times and will watch again" thread!

This magical movie has Philip Glass's opera as an optional soundtrack in French DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1!
1607142244112.png

It's an absolutely amazing experience! The music is wonderful, washed over me in waves--lush and discrete with lovely touches throughout. The film's dialogue is sung operatically; I followed along with optional subtitles. Such an immersive experience coupled with Cocteau's visuals make this a real treat! I've seen this movie many times--one of my favorites--and watching it with Glass's opera as the soundtrack in spectacular surround took my appreciation of this masterpiece to the next level. I would recommend watching the film with the original French LPCM mono soundtrack first. C'est manifique! Si belle!
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Beauty-and-the-Beast-Blu-ray/23142/#Reviewhttps://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/beauty-and-the-beast-2048/https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/49349/beauty-and-the-beast/

Well, based on your recoRAMdation, i picked this up to hear the surround . . . which does NOT exist! @peeair is correct:

View attachment 59932
There is ONLY one audio track, and that track is, as you can see from my screenshot, 2.0. Also, EVERY review and criterion's own site clearly note that the audio is 2.0. To your point, i can hear Britten blasting from my rear speakers, but i must put my AVR in NEURAL X or DOLBY SURROUND mode; when my AVR is in DIRECT mode, i get what is on the blu-ray: 2.0 from ONLY my front speakers. Although i was disappointed that no surround exists (and i am able to to get my faux surround fix, though i do prefer DIRECT mode), i am enamored of the film and it does look beautiful. i'll comment no more on the audio as this thread is titled "Surround movies." But i will note that purchasing and then watching the film makes it eligible for me to write about it in the "Movies you've seen over 5 times and will watch again" thread!

Precisely, Clemente ..... It has been encoded for dolby surround even though the film did have a Dolby Digital soundtrack which is a PRO discrete LOSSLESS soundtrack for movie theater release....not the lossy dolby digital used for DVD~Vs. ALL speakers were extremely active during the entire film.

And DOLBY SURROUND does qualify for this thread. Those with surround masters would surely hear discrete elements throughout.

David Fincher's NEW Netflix entry "MANK" explores the age old issue of who actually wrote the screenplay for CITIZEN KANE. Was it Hollywood Scribe Herman J. Mankiewicz or 'Auteur' Orson Welles, himself? Shot in lustrous Black and White, the film stars a brilliant Gary Oldman as Herman J., British actor Charles Dance as William Randolph Hearst and a stunning Amanda Seyfried as Hearst's 'Rosebud' Marion Davies. Music Composed by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. David Fincher credits the screenplay for Mank to his late father, Jack Fincher.

Presented in 4K/Dolby Vision/HD Surround on NETFLIX

See the source image

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...david-fincher-herman-mankiewicz-orson-welles/

Last edited:
Precisely, Clemente ..... It has been encoded for dolby surround even though the film did have a Dolby Digital soundtrack which is a PRO discrete LOSSLESS soundtrack for movie theater release....not the lossy dolby digital used for DVD~Vs. ALL speakers were extremely active during the entire film.

And DOLBY SURROUND does qualify for this thread. Those with surround masters would surely hear discrete elements throughout.
1607187489404.png

Utilizing a Cow to 'udder' such surprise or indignation, dear Clement ..... Well, what is IT? My 'aging' bedroom ONKYO receiver recognized the codec as DOLBY SURROUND immediately and sent it to all 5.1 speakers. And HOW you can query the erudite RAM is, quite frankly, BEYOND COMPREHENSION!
1607207199719.png

XXXXXXXXOXhi, XXlXeXX mXoXuXtXoXni!

Last edited:
Back