Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A SERIOUSLY Scary and Disturbing Import from Spain now streaming on HBO [Europe]: 30 Coins

From an IGN Review: 30 Coins is a truly scary series that builds an impressively creepy atmosphere over the seven episodes we were given for review. More than just that, though, this is an engaging adventure story wrapped up in a monster of the week format that keeps the story fresh and accessible even as we get deeper into the conspiracy at its core. Imagine an R-rated, blood-soaked National Treasure directed by Guillermo del Toro, and you'll have some idea of what to expect coming into this daring and dramatic religious fantasy horror series.

See the source image
I'm partaking and enjoying this thrill ride Ralphie; a mix of The Exorcist with Stranger Things (Spanish w/ English subs.)

To be honest, i only picked the movie up because of Ralph's head's up to the Kino Lorber sale! I browsed the sale discs looking for surround mixes, and when i saw Coda had one, i read the reviews i posted; the description of the concert sealed the deal for me! It is absolutely transcendent! I knew Sakamoto from Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence--as an actor first! I adored the score and was surprised to see his name as composer when i the credits rolled! I don't know that i feel a need to score (as it were) Async: Surrounded, as the performance on the Blu-ray i have is so damn stunning aurally, i can't imagine it being better; and to see him performing it live just takes it to the next level. Let us know if you decide to pursue it; knowing my addiction to surround, i may follow you!

I own it. It’s stunning. Of the around 250 titles I own in the surround sound format, it may very well be my favorite.

Annihilation (2018) 4K:
1. I watched this a while ago on DVDo_O and the 4K is not surprisingly but a pleasantly massive step up.
2. I don't remember the 5.1 Dolby Digital mix on the DVD being that memorable but the Atmos (5.1 at my place) mix on the 4K is night and day. There is a lot of discrete, panning, loud action going on in all channels. Some awesome room-rattling lows too. Really, really good to hear!
3. Visuals are superb. Lots of cool colours. The HDR is really good too. Bright lights (e.g., sun, other lights) appear really bright and made me squint!
4. Some of the characters are a bit stupid but if you switch your brain off first and crank the volume, it's an enjoyable ride.
5. Well worth the purchase and will give your hardware a workout. Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Annihilation...eywords=annihilation+4k&qid=1611433486&sr=8-2 The BD with all the extras is Region free too.

From Arrow Video [UK] David Cronenberg's deeply disturbing film CRASH [Native UHD4K/HDR10/5.1 UPMIX] Note: This IS a Limited Edition.

crash-4k-uhd.jpg

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/89712/crash4kultrahdblurayimport.html

Bought this over the holiday. It's an incredible release, the movie looks stunning and I liked a lot of the extra footage. Criterion released this too, on regular Blu-ray. Haven't gotten it yet but plan to. Not a great Cronenberg fan, but I connected to this material quite deeply. The dangers of intimacy now are of concern now because of the pandemic and it is interesting to watch it in that light, compared to the ones when this came out 25 years ago.

I really didn't pay too much attention to the surround mix this time around but I'm glad it's in 5.1, the music especially benefits from it. I was more taken with the picture, the grain really comes alive and the colors and the expressions in the top-notch performances really pop.

I must say I very pleased with Arrow Video. They done a great job with restoration of some cult films like Hellraiser 1-3, Robocop, The Thing, An American Werewolf in London. I have these in limited editions Blu-ray with many bonus materials and they are top notch! Also glad they join a 4K camp and their recent Pitch Black and Tremors looks fantastic in 4K/HDR!

Last edited:
Bought this over the holiday. It's an incredible release, the movie looks stunning and I liked a lot of the extra footage. Criterion released this too, on regular Blu-ray. Haven't gotten it yet but plan to. Not a great Cronenberg fan, but I connected to this material quite deeply. The dangers of intimacy now are of concern now because of the pandemic and it is interesting to watch it in that light, compared to the ones when this came out 25 years ago.

I really didn't pay too much attention to the surround mix this time around but I'm glad it's in 5.1, the music especially benefits from it. I was more taken with the picture, the grain really comes alive and the colors and the expressions in the top-notch performances really pop.

Oh wow, did not know this came out on 4K bluray koooo - weird awesome film :SB

I must say I very pleased with Arrow Video. They done a great job with restoration of some cult films like Hellraiser 1-3, Robocop, The Thing, An American Werewolf in London. I have these in limited editions with many bonus materials and they are top notch! Glad they join a 4K camp and their recent Pitch Black and Tremors looks fantastic in 4K/HDR!

Vegas, how was the Native UHD4K of American Werewolf in London? I have the 4K remaster and it looked superb but would love this flick in TRUE 4K. I had the Native UHD4K of Tremors on pre~order in the States but it was canceled. That did get an awesome review from highdefdigest.

Back