Surround music is quickly becoming my addiction

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somethingcleveridunno

Steven Wilson 5.1 mix of "Plastic Love" when?
QQ Supporter
Hey, been looking at your polls and reading threads for a while and didn't join because I genuinely couldn't come up with a good username. Finally decided to just throw caution to the wind.

Around November, after over a decade of wanting to get into this, after hearing a *snippet* of the matrix'd version of Parsons' DSotM quad mix through a 7.1 system off of the "Works" compilation thru imperfect DPL decoding, I finally got the finished half of my basement set up as a home theater/listening space. It's a complete mashup of Craigslist and thrift store components: Onkyo receiver, old Synergistics mains, Optimus (Radio Shack) surrounds, a Paradigm center, and a massive Henry Kloss-designed Cambridge sub that cost almost as much itself as the rest of the components combined. Plus a scrounged 720p projector. The 110" screen was the only thing we bought new. My girlfriend has not only put up with this, but embraced it. I won the lotto on that. She even let me run signal cables from the AV cabinet to the projector mount for 1 side and 2 rear speakers, ethernet, HDMI, 5x RCA, TOSLINK (which in hindsight was pointless), and install a ceiling power outlet for the projector. Got everything set up really cleanly using keystone jacks, I'm quite proud.

And once I had it set up, the addiction set in. Because Yes and Pink Floyd and even Jim Croce or Bela Fleck's bluegrass album in surround just tickles my brain in the absolute best ways and I adore it. So back to Craigslist I went, because this needed to be shared!

So now my hippie boomer parents, who already had four speakers wired in their living room, are getting the surround treatment with a scrounged Pioneer receiver and a meh but good enough Creative-era Cambridge center. I need to replace their surrounds, though... big ol' Sanyo party speakers that just boom lots of bass. Their mains are these wonderful Akai SW-155 ported 4-ways that I grew up with. Probably going to upgrade my mains and give them the Synergistics to use as surrounds. Private label speakers no one's heard of (not white van, there is advertising material), but they're surprisingly good for a cheap 1970s 2-way. Put the Sanyos in my garage, where boomy party speakers belong... And I need to get all their speakers elevated because there's furniture in the way. Then I'll figure if they need a sub to augment the 12.5" woofers on those Akais. But even with their setup currently being a mess acoustically, I cranked some Yes, and some Allman Brothers, and some Moody Blues for them and they got onboard immediately with the idea.

Oh, but it doesn't end there! I had four little Paradigm satellites, and a Kenwood from 1998 with 6-channel inputs, and a Soundblaster card with 6-channel out, all left over... I do IT for a living and tend to hoard stuff, if that wasn't becoming apparent from just having electronic gear all over the place that's not actually worth selling... so now my home office/guest bedroom has a little twin bed with 5.0 sound around it using those Paradigms and the other Cambridge center I scrounged.

The master bedroom is next once the parents' living room is set up right. It never ends. The nice YouTube man said to live life in surround and I'm taking that entirely too literally.

So, yeah... that's pretty much where I am, and I'm kind of frantically building up a library of surround music ripped to FLAC PCM files that I keep on my Plex server (which is hooked directly to the receiver in the basement, and was the project from 12 months ago that seemed completely insane but turned out great), and I'm kind of hoping I keep enough of my mind together after it being blown by hearing all my favorite music again for the first time, that I don't end up outside Tom Scholtz's house yelling "TOM! TOM!!! I HAVE NOTES ON HOW A 5.1 MIX OF "DON'T LOOK BACK" COULD SOUND!!!"

Hey, been looking at your polls and reading threads for a while and didn't join because I genuinely couldn't come up with a good username. Finally decided to just throw caution to the wind.

Around November, after over a decade of wanting to get into this, after hearing a *snippet* of the matrix'd version of Parsons' DSotM quad mix through a 7.1 system off of the "Works" compilation thru imperfect DPL decoding, I finally got the finished half of my basement set up as a home theater/listening space. It's a complete mashup of Craigslist and thrift store components: Onkyo receiver, old Synergistics mains, Optimus (Radio Shack) surrounds, a Paradigm center, and a massive Henry Kloss-designed Cambridge sub that cost almost as much itself as the rest of the components combined. Plus a scrounged 720p projector. The 110" screen was the only thing we bought new. My girlfriend has not only put up with this, but embraced it. I won the lotto on that. She even let me run signal cables from the AV cabinet to the projector mount for 1 side and 2 rear speakers, ethernet, HDMI, 5x RCA, TOSLINK (which in hindsight was pointless), and install a ceiling power outlet for the projector. Got everything set up really cleanly using keystone jacks, I'm quite proud.

And once I had it set up, the addiction set in. Because Yes and Pink Floyd and even Jim Croce or Bela Fleck's bluegrass album in surround just tickles my brain in the absolute best ways and I adore it. So back to Craigslist I went, because this needed to be shared!

So now my hippie boomer parents, who already had four speakers wired in their living room, are getting the surround treatment with a scrounged Pioneer receiver and a meh but good enough Creative-era Cambridge center. I need to replace their surrounds, though... big ol' Sanyo party speakers that just boom lots of bass. Their mains are these wonderful Akai SW-155 ported 4-ways that I grew up with. Probably going to upgrade my mains and give them the Synergistics to use as surrounds. Private label speakers no one's heard of (not white van, there is advertising material), but they're surprisingly good for a cheap 1970s 2-way. Put the Sanyos in my garage, where boomy party speakers belong... And I need to get all their speakers elevated because there's furniture in the way. Then I'll figure if they need a sub to augment the 12.5" woofers on those Akais. But even with their setup currently being a mess acoustically, I cranked some Yes, and some Allman Brothers, and some Moody Blues for them and they got onboard immediately with the idea.

Oh, but it doesn't end there! I had four little Paradigm satellites, and a Kenwood from 1998 with 6-channel inputs, and a Soundblaster card with 6-channel out, all left over... I do IT for a living and tend to hoard stuff, if that wasn't becoming apparent from just having electronic gear all over the place that's not actually worth selling... so now my home office/guest bedroom has a little twin bed with 5.0 sound around it using those Paradigms and the other Cambridge center I scrounged.

The master bedroom is next once the parents' living room is set up right. It never ends. The nice YouTube man said to live life in surround and I'm taking that entirely too literally.

So, yeah... that's pretty much where I am, and I'm kind of frantically building up a library of surround music ripped to FLAC PCM files that I keep on my Plex server (which is hooked directly to the receiver in the basement, and was the project from 12 months ago that seemed completely insane but turned out great), and I'm kind of hoping I keep enough of my mind together after it being blown by hearing all my favorite music again for the first time, that I don't end up outside Tom Scholtz's house yelling "TOM! TOM!!! I HAVE NOTES ON HOW A 5.1 MIX OF "DON'T LOOK BACK" COULD SOUND!!!"

What a great intro & interesting to boot. As a hippie boomer parent it's always great to see audio enthusiasm passed along. There is a place to list all your gear in your profile. Strictly optional but it makes for easy reference in the future if others try to help figure out some ??'s.

Home HT projects are always enjoyed around here. If you have any before/after pics of your basement project please share. There's a "show us your gear " topic it would be right at home in.

Ha! When I decided to join after lurking for a long time, I spent way too long (as is my custom) to come up with what I thought would be an interesting username and graphic.

In the end, I just needed to stop obsessing about it so I came up with a simple name and graphic. Not fancy, not clever, but a good lesson for me to just get on with things.

I’ll echo @Sonik Wiz on putting your setup in your profile. And some of us have it in our sig, too.

Welcome.

My girlfriend has not only put up with this, but embraced it. I won the lotto on that.
This part is HUGE, hope it stays that way!

Welcome in; and there is an abundance of old Quad stuff that sounds great that's never been released in a digital format; just ask @Clement

🍻

Ha! When I decided to join after lurking for a long time, I spent way too long (as is my custom) to come up with what I thought would be an interesting username and graphic.
My profile says member since 2005. It was actually before that & my member name was Wizard of Ohm. I didn't participate much or save my password. There's no administrative e mail addy on the front page so if you can't log in your screwed. I came back as Sonik Wiz.

A friend of mine tried to join an anime forum but every name he wanted to use was taken. Out of frustration his member name was everynametaken.

My girlfriend has not only put up with this, but embraced it.
I’ve been having so much fun showing my girlfriend some of her favourite albums in surround. She may not understand the technical aspect of it, but she sure can appreciate it. Both of us are eagerly awaiting the 5.1 mix of Turn of a Friendly Card releases at the end of the month!

Welcome aboard!

Any of us with spouses or girlfriends/boyfriends who tolerate our music obsession should consider ourselves blessed. Even more-so if they also enjoy it.

The other night, enjoying a glass of wine, my wife and I somehow got on the topic that I had bought a Tears for Fears album. (The first SDE release.) She was shocked that I would own a TFF album since I lean toward classic and hard rock.

Well, with the help of the wine I’m sure, I launched into what Paul is doing with SDE, how the TFF was hard to get (I didn’t get in with the initial wave) and all sorts of related info... that I’m sure she couldn’t have cared less about. But she sat there and smiled and was happy that I was enjoying my music purchases.

What a great intro & interesting to boot. As a hippie boomer parent it's always great to see audio enthusiasm passed along. There is a place to list all your gear in your profile. Strictly optional but it makes for easy reference in the future if others try to help figure out some ??'s.

Home HT projects are always enjoyed around here. If you have any before/after pics of your basement project please share. There's a "show us your gear " topic it would be right at home in.
My family definitely did right by me on that end. Dad always had component stereo set up in the living room. Had the TV and stereo hooked together in the early 1980s, before most people. First recordings I was ever gifted as my own were a green cassette of "MU: The Best of Jethro Tull" by my parents, and "After the Gold Rush" by my cousin.

I'll try to list my gear in the profile, but which set?! XD

I have a few basement pics, might take some more with a DSLR instead of my phone. Need to clean up this weekend, we tend to just sprawl down here.

"TOM! TOM!!! I HAVE NOTES ON HOW A 5.1 MIX OF "DON'T LOOK BACK" COULD SOUND!!!"

Ha! That's great!

I have a similar approach to gear, I might not have discovered quad/surround if I didn't already have some spare speakers.

I avoided overthinking my screen name. There was a a drum circle loosely called The Earth Searchers.

Welcome to the moneypit! Everyone here has advice on how to lighten your wallett.

My screen name is a portmanteau of my wife's and my surnames. "Flebar" didn't sound like it would be easy to pronounce, so "barfle" it is!

I'm one of those aging boomers who grew up with 78s and AM radio as the standard, and although I was a bit young to understand "hi-fi" and had never attended a live concert, it didn't take too long after my teens to realize that good sound was better than what I had been hearing.

Any of us with spouses or girlfriends/boyfriends who tolerate our music obsession should consider ourselves blessed. Even more-so if they also enjoy it.

The other night, enjoying a glass of wine, my wife and I somehow got on the topic that I had bought a Tears for Fears album. (The first SDE release.) She was shocked that I would own a TFF album since I lean toward classic and hard rock.

Well, with the help of the wine I’m sure, I launched into what Paul is doing with SDE, how the TFF was hard to get (I didn’t get in with the initial wave) and all sorts of related info... that I’m sure she couldn’t have cared less about. But she sat there and smiled and was happy that I was enjoying my music purchases.
Exactly how my other half is, she couldn’t tell the difference between mono, stereo or surround sound but she’s happy that i’m happy and offers to help pay for some of my more expensive “wants”

Exactly how my other half is, she couldn’t tell the difference between mono, stereo or surround sound but she’s happy that i’m happy and offers to help pay for some of my more expensive “wants”
My gf not only can tell; she has mild synesthesia, and cool sound can really affect her.

Really affect her. ;)

My girlfriend has not only put up with this, but embraced it. I won the lotto on that. She even let me run signal cables from the AV cabinet to the projector mount

Here is another member with much gratitude to my wife.

After the Living Room full renewal, she herself helped me to pull the cables through the false ceiling. Not only the whole speakers cables but also the CAT 7 ethernets from the Kitchen and to the Studio room, all the different active HDMI cables to the TV/Projector, to Server PC in the studio room, to ZONE2 Kitchen, etc.

She also helped me to install the Philips HUE LED strips all over the Home Theater Room, on removable wooden support strips that I designed.

Even more: When I decided later to install the Wides to go for a 9.1.4 Atmos, the Wide Right speaker was located exactly over the lateral dining table. I put the speaker on the table (on a suitable cloth to the taste of my wife), with the cable hidden under the table. My wife let me do it, with my promise of removing the speaker when we use the table for dinner with family/friends. I have never removed it yet, because we use to lunch or dinner with more people in the big kitchen and then go to the "Home Theater" for the film. ... and sometimes, if applicable, to demo Atmos to someone that understands ;)

Welcome aboard I've been dragging this stuff around since I got out of the Navy in 75 which is where I got it overseas,My wife knew it was part of the package when she married me so I have been lucky,she especially loves to hear the Doobie Bros.Quadio but cannot understand why I like Porcupine Tree.

Here is another member with much gratitude to my wife.

After the Living Room full renewal, she herself helped me to pull the cables through the false ceiling. Not only the whole speakers cables but also the CAT 7 ethernets from the Kitchen and to the Studio room, all the different active HDMI cables to the TV/Projector, to Server PC in the studio room, to ZONE2 Kitchen, etc. …
My wife painted my room. She likes to paint. The store I bought it from installed the carpet, and an electrician who was working on another part of the house ran the two 20A lines from the breaker box to the crawl space. I did everything else from ripping out the original closet, rerouting the HVAC, laying the floating floor, running conduit and pulling cables to building the media and equipment shelves.

My wife thinks the room is OK, doesn’t like 3D movies and couldn’t care less about surround sound. Friends and family think it looks and sounds great, but their interests aren’t leaning that way.

Last edited:
My interest started in July 1970 when I read an article by David Hafler on his diamond speaker matrix system and another article on the Scheiber system.

I did two things:

One was an attempt to reverse-engineer what the Scheiber system might be. I made 3 sketches which turned out to be prophetic:
- The first sketch turned out to be SQ.
- The second sketch was CD-4 (concept, not details).
- The third sketch was really the Scheiber system and also QS.

The other was to hook up and use the Hafler Diamond.

I was hooked right there, even though I had no encoded recordings.

Six months later, I had built an encoder and made a sound effects tape for a live theater performance using the Hafler Diamond.

I'm in the same boat. She wants to get it the same way I do, and I can't count the number of times that I hear something that is spectacular, I put it back 30 seconds and call her into the room and give up my seat (only temporarily) and expect that she will finally get it but she just nods and says 'Yeah, it sounds good'. At the other end of the spectrum, my beloved dog (a 70 pound lapdop) regularly sits on me in that same spot and her head is spinning left and right because of what she hears in the surrounds. So my dog gets it... wife? Not so much.

Back