Surround Polls- They are intended for voting.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

par4ken

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Because, it's obvious.
If one person voted a '10' on a title and that was the only vote received, then it would top the poll threads, so by maintaining that a poll has to have a minimum of at least 10 votes to be included in the ranking, it creates a more balanced ranking of these titles.
That is not obvious at all to me! I could care less about the actual ranking vs other titles. I want to know that there is in fact a poll, those with only a few votes will likely stay that way as nobody knows about them!
My interest in the poll is more for the comments anyway! The search function on this site is terrible, if it was better it would be easy to find that poll thread with only one or two votes!

Last edited:

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Thanks for your kind, quick reply in advance.

In case you missed earlier references to it, the poll creation process is a painful exercise until something better is devised. I defer to RT Blu-ray for any comments on Blu-ray polls. If you don’t see something obvious, all you have to do is ask for it. That’s all there is to it.

There is the hope of some automation but I don’t know if that’s happening.

sjcorne

Staff member
The search function on this site is terrible, if it was better it would be easy to find that pole thread with only one or two votes!

The search function has worked great since the upgrade to XenForo, not sure what issues you're having with it. If all else fails, it's simple enough to google search 'quadraphonicquad *insert album name here*'.

~dave~~wave~

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
That is not obvious at all to me! I could care less about the actual ranking vs other titles. I want to know that there is in fact a pole, those with only a few votes will likely stay that way as nobody knows about them!
My interest in the pole is more for the comments anyway! The search function on this site is terrible, if it was better it would be easy to find that pole thread with only one or two votes!

Ok I get that so then….I know it makes more work, but not much, how about a list of titles that are bubbling under 10 votes or reviews? That way we get a more precise list….just a suggestion😁

It's been there all along, you just have to know where to look.
Sorry for the repetition, but again:

This is a trick that everybody who uses the polls should learn, but it's not obvious.
It took a mention it in a thread before I got wise to it, after fruitless searches for releases I knew existed.

It's simply to use the Poll Index tab on the far right.
That's where you will see for certain if a poll has been started, no matter how many votes have been recorded.
Try it, you'll like it.

One thousand seven hundred and sixty-seven polls started, and counting.
Maximum respect and thanks to our volunteer moderators.

QuadraphonicQuad Poll Index of all Surround Spotlight Polls

This is an Index of all individual polls that exist within the forum.
(It is not limited by minimum vote numbers)

Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 12.53.33 AM.png

Sal1950

QQ Supporter
I am always most appreciative of the Moderators and the Administrators of this marvelous forum. It is one of the most informative platforms for us surround sound ,qq, multi channel audio folk.

Thank you Moderators!

AND

A poll is a poll NOT a pole.
That was one awesome job of butt kissing. :ROFLMAO:

And when it comes down to it, I'd prefer a Pole Dancer! :QQlove

Soundfield

I have no interest the polls, and so am always amused by the controversy that they constantly seem to provoke. If they are as contentious as they seem and we’ve learned that they're a huge job for the mods, why not drop the whole thing? No more arguments, no more work. Problem solved. Sanity restored.

Last edited:

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This (The Who) poll thread is way over done with non related posts, looking forward to seeing it cleaned up.

Strilo

Staff member
I know I have in the past participated in off-topic discussions in some of the polls. I can certainly redouble my efforts to keep them strictly to the directly poll/review related etiquette. Makes sense to me.

Is there a good place for us to discuss the topic of issues with non-Poll threads going wildly off topic? I don't want to derail this thread, but I have had some serious issues lately with people just running roughshod over the intended topic(s) and posting whatever the hell they want...

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I know I have in the past participated in off-topic discussions in some of the polls. I can certainly redouble my efforts to keep them strictly to the directly poll/review related etiquette. Makes sense to me.

Is there a good place for us to discuss the topic of issues with non-Poll threads going wildly off topic? I don't want to derail this thread, but I have had some serious issues lately with people just running roughshod over the intended topic(s) and posting whatever the hell they want...
You could start a new thread, called what you want, but maybe "Non-Poll Threads-Off topic" ? or something that suits you.
What I have gathered from the moderators, is it mainly takes a lot of self-policeing, they will step in, of course when it gets to name calling and stuff like that.
I feel as a group people like you and me, all we can do is fight the good fight and use the report button and maybe some stuff would get removed?
My personal opinion is it's a fine line on non poll threads when they go off topic and does not bother me as much as off topic poll threads which really bothers me.
If you added a new thread about off topic on non poll threads, the hope should just be to raise awareness.
A non poll thread, going offf topic can also be important, like following a family tree, again a fine line.
I was a member of SACD-Net and the owner couldn't stand us talking back and forth and redigned the whole site, now called HRAudio.net, that was too radical.
Again, we don't want this place to change too much as so many people depend on it for many reasons, social, information, learning, etc.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I also hate all the off topic stuff. Seriously, I do. I also hate when I reply to a post, thinking I'm NOT in a poll thread...only to find out a few days later, it was a poll thread. Ughhhhhhh. I really do try, I would say nearly 99% of my off topic poll thread posts are due to someone else posting off topic stuff. Dammit. haha

jimfisheye

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I don't agree with the poll formula and the "Hey look, this guy gave it a #" business. I like reading personal honest reviews and critique though. I'm clearly against the grain here but I'll just keep posting the same kind of words I like to read about things and ignoring the poll part until someone bans me or something.

~dave~~wave~

QQ Supporter
This (The Who) poll thread is way over done with non related posts, looking forward to seeing it cleaned up.

With QQ supporter privileges, I have some time to delete MY post, if you insist.

Personally, I have no problem with an 8-year-old thread getting revived with relevant information on an alternate source of a classic mix that's out of print and ridiculously expensive.

But I also get annoyed with page after page of worthless memes and banter in poll threads.
Why not address your concerns directly with the incorrigible repeat offenders?
We all know who they are.

Love all you guys, but you're grown men with thick skins.
I have put all of them ( except our founder) on my ignore list for brief periods when I've had enough nonsense.
I accept it as part of the package along with all the great information and observations they bring.

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 11.19.44 AM.png

I respect everyone's efforts to make this a great place to hang out with their enthusiasm and opinions.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
EDIT: Quadrophenia poll is DONE. The report button is best, I’m old and I may forget!

I’ve been mulling the suggestion of adding a ‘comments inspired by’ link with every poll that’s created. This makes the poll creation process even longer; I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s only the high profile releases that really go sideways. I created a poll the other day for Renaissance -Scheherazade. I don’t expect that one to ever get overrun with comments. All we can reasonably do is smooth out the trouble spots and remind people not to create them.

I would also add that deciding which posts don’t belong, especially when some portion might apply to the actual release creates a subjective burden for the moderators. People are not always going to be happy with those decisions.

Last edited:

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
With QQ supporter privileges, I have some time to delete MY post, if you insist.

Personally, I have no problem with an 8-year-old thread getting revived with relevant information on an alternate source of a classic mix that's out of print and ridiculously expensive.

But I also get annoyed with page after page of worthless memes and banter in poll threads.
Why not address your concerns directly with the incorrigible repeat offenders?
We all know who they are.

Love all you guys, but you're grown men with thick skins.
I have put all of them ( except our founder) on my ignore list for brief periods when I've had enough nonsense.
I accept it as part of the package along with all the great information and observations they bring.

View attachment 76099

I respect everyone's efforts to make this a great place to hang out with their enthusiasm and opinions.

Come on Dave, how could you? LOL! I do ramble a bit on this forum, which is odd, because by nature, I don't like people and am mostly annoyed by nearly everyone in real life. I'd probably ignore me too if I were you guys. Hey, why not?

~dave~~wave~

QQ Supporter
I also hate all the off topic stuff. Seriously, I do. I also hate when I reply to a post, thinking I'm NOT in a poll thread...only to find out a few days later, it was a poll thread. Ughhhhhhh. I really do try, I would say nearly 99% of my off topic poll thread posts are due to someone else posting off topic stuff. Dammit. haha

I think there's a fair point to be made.

Not everybody is retired, sitting in his man-cave like me, drinking coffee and composing masterpiece posts on a big monitor and keyboard.
In today's world, what percentage of posts are dictated into phones by busy folks who are multi-tasking, or heaven forbid, actually being paid for working? (Does this shoe 👞 fit, anybody?)

Folks who color outside the lines, whether from an honest mistake or a polite request to reconsider sent by PM, can follow GOS's responsible example and edit the text to a dot or an oops.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Last week I commented that "some post like they're on Facebook"; what I was pointing out is the post-whatever-wherever-I-am behavior is just to easy too fall into. If we're going to have a forum with this much daily volume, it's going to take more self-awareness to avoid it. My work forum is about dead after 15 good years; now my time is spent answering product questions on a Facebook group page. Tragically it makes for a feeble resource (cluster-F) for finding any useful information.

By contrast, before so many other topics increased the raw volume of postings, it was easy to look away for a week or two. That was when QQ was strictly A/V topics and some almost-dead formats. How much trouble could they get into? I know one moderator who is very stressed out from the DAILY policing to keep this place on the rails. People don't know what they don't know. Let's do better for his sake.

Last edited:

~dave~~wave~

QQ Supporter
In a sincere effort to get along, I'm going to follow GOS's example and leave this here, instead of where it doesn't belong.
Sorry. 🤫

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 12.30.56 PM.png

What's the difference, they're all sold now. 😉
(You're one to talk about chattering, Mr. 17,000+ post count.) 🤫

Looks like he jacked up the price a little for the last few?
I paid $45, plus $3.82 shipping & $3.52 state tax.

Dammit, Gene, look what you just made me do! :eek:
I violated the sacred purity of a poll thread with a friendly wisecrack & price info! 😆

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003

IMO the best place for chat tangentially related to a surround release that doesn't belong in the poll thread is in the pre-release thread that was created to announce that the album was coming out in surround. Almost every high-profile release (and most of the low-profile ones) have one. Perhaps the mods who create polls can leave a link to this thread in their first post along with an annotation like 'Off-topic chatter goes here:' - that way they don't have to create any new threads. As someone said in a previous post, if a thread doesn't exist for an album or artist (or surround topic) you want to discuss, there's no reason you can't create one.

I should also say, the poll threads aren't moderated so strictly that they should just be a series of review posts one after another - discussion and replies are a good thing, but they should pertain to the artist and album in question, with a little bit of latitude. I think the fact that assigning number ratings to albums is an imperfect science has been discussed to death here, but suffice it to say that high quality reviews and discussion of albums in poll threads is as valuable (if not moreso) than the actual poll itself. If you're wondering if your post belongs in a poll thread, imagine you're a new user reading the thread 5 years from now who's never heard the album - is your post going to help this person make a decision about whether or not they want to buy it?