Surround Polls- They are intended for voting.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I mean, you could start a new thread specifically for non-poll-related discussion and link to it.
We could perhaps, but I don’t know for sure that it needs to exist every time? Chances are there was a preliminary discussion started previous to the poll, and of course we would link to that. I do believe this needs to happen organically.

~dave~~wave~

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
We could perhaps, but I don’t know for sure that it needs to exist every time? Chances are there was a preliminary discussion started previous to the poll, and of course we would link to that. I do believe this needs to happen organically.
Part of the problem is how Dutton announces multiple discs, so a thread gets started with Azteca, Kristofferson, Friends of Distinction all jumbled together over 12 pages of chatter.

Organically.
With sprouts, granola and kale smoothies. ;)

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member

A good reminder for the new Streaming Polls. I’ll auto create a release off-topic/discussion thread when a new poll is created and generate cross-reference links in both threads in the respective first posts.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
A good reminder for the new Streaming Polls. I’ll auto create a release off-topic/discussion thread when a new poll is created and generate cross-reference links in both threads in the respective first posts.
I like the fact that you can include this in the design. I don’t see how it would be able to anticipate existing discussions to link out to so that probably remains a manual process?

HomerJAU

Staff member
The advantage of building a new voting system from scratch: There are no existing poll threads.

So any new poll release added will create two new forum threads: 1. The Poll thread 2. The off topic/discussion thread.

In the new system admins won’t create poll threads as the mods do on QQ.. They will add a new release title (that will trigger auto creation of the 2 threads). It’s just data in the database the forum auto displays as threads/posts.

EDIT: QQ forum could do same but I can’t get access to the QQ database to automate the process. Hence me creating the new streaming poll sister site.

Last edited:

HomerJAU

Staff member
Now that I think about it, maybe it’s easier (less moderation) if I allow off topic posts in the new poll threads but add a ‘off topic’ checkbox that mods only can see for each post. A mod can check that and the post becomes invisible to ‘normal’ users.

A ‘normal’ user can then choose whether they want to view ‘off topic’ posts or not.

That would be much easier for mods to deal with. Thoughts?

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
That is an interesting proposition. It could be helpful going forward, yet it would create inconsistency in poll policy (existing vs new method) application. I have to think about this one for a while.

par4ken

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Often the so called off topic posts are still related to the poll thread. I feel that constantly moving or removing these posts greatly interferes with the free flow of conversation. Strict enforcement of the rules makes the poll threads very boring!

I only draw the line where people discuss issues like slow shipping!

Last edited:

Sixtyten

The thought occurs about the poll thread, specifically all those pinned posts. Wouldn't it make more sense for the polls to be ordered based on the interaction, rather than just being pinned? At the moment lots of said posts have had less than 5 posts, some haven't had any?

Just a thought

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
New polls are pinned for a while to hopefully get them enough visibility that they reach the minimum number of votes (10 for modern digital stuff, 6 for legacy quad titles) so that they show up in the Surround Polls tab at the top of the forum.

It's an imperfect system and I agree that having too many pinned at the top of the forums de-prioritizes interactions with ones that are bubbling up organically as the result of interactions. If you go further down (or maybe into page 2 of the poll forums) the remaining posts are sorted by most recently posted to.

What I really wish, though maybe it's futile, is that people would go to the very last page of each of the poll forums and cast a few votes (or even leave a comment) on some of the more neglected ones. These kinds of interactions are exponentially more valuable than casting a vote on an evergreen like DSOTM or a Steven Wilson album that already have 50 or 100 votes. There are literally dozens (if not hundreds) of polls that have less than 5 votes, and casting a vote or leaving a short comment about the quality of the release can let someone else know if these titles (which are often rare, expensive, or both) are worth pursuing on the secondary market.