Surround sound for music is a dumb idea

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I "returned to the audio hobby" after a long absence I watched a few of his videos until I realized he was mostly a purveyor of snake oil.
This is consistent with the fact that he used to be a New York City Audio Salon Salesman.
I also find his backgrounds very distracting. They give the impression that he is a single or divorced dude.
I don't get any sense of "snake oil" from him at all. He is a music-first guy and many of his videos talk about how you can get great sound for under $500, $1,000 etc. So he is providing fair and valuable information as far as I'm concerned. My opinion, of course.

I have discovered this new channel from Steve Guttenberg who says that surround sound is not interesting when you don't have pictures or videos to go along like videos or music concerts. I can't agree with him here. I know it must require more patience or imagination but I doubt he has listened to the best surround releases from the best engineers. Secondly, if you listen to only video concerts in surround you limit yourself to plenty of good music in surround with audio format. I guess he must listen to stereo audio only. Here's the link to that video ;

Steve Guttenberg
N.B.: That was from 2017 so...................................................what. :rolleyes:

@mrcond said:
I don't get any sense of "snake oil" from him at all. He is a music-first guy and many of his videos talk about how you can get great sound for under $500, $1,000 etc. So he is providing fair and valuable information as far as I'm concerned. My opinion, of course.
Perhaps my snake oil threshold is lower than yours. I don't consider Steve G, the worst but I don't watch him. I don't watch any of the self appointed experts. They ALL get a fair chance until they say something stupid.
I do read and follow Dr. Mark Waldrep. (I do usually refer to him as DR. Mark or Dr. AIX) Even though his PhD is in Music composition and not in a "science". He never ever says anything I think is stupid.

Last edited:
I mean, they removed the dislike count on all videos, to protect creators.
Now the average consumer can get tricked by that one guy who said WAV is better than FLAC and that FLAC is useless because we can have more storage space now.
So that's why I'm seeing a bunch of videos with no dislikes lately..

Well to hell with you all with all your wild opinions on stereo and surround sound! AR here is gonna rip off my jersey, throw it into the crowd, and run out of here flashing the peace sign. That’ll show ya’s all!
:SB:SB:SB

A NEW Joisey, I hope!

R.a6d5aa12bf5980f3a3b6422d6ada16b9

My thoughts: always go with artist intention unless artist intention is obviously garbage.

Examples to go with artist intention:
  • Artist states their work is meant to be in surround
  • Artist implies their work is meant to be in stereo and the surround mix sucks (or doesn't exist)
  • Artist wants the mix to stay realistic (like concert music, orchestral) if i ever deliver a concert mix it will never be realistic and it will use all channels
Examples not to go:
  • Artist doesn't believe in lossless
  • Artist has garbage mixing taste
  • Artist has a non-consented surround mix (usually done by the label) that sounds fantastic

Last edited:
My thoughts: always go with artist intention unless artist intention is obviously garbage.

Examples not to go:
  • Artist doesn't believe in lossless
  • Artist has garbage mixing taste
  • Artist has a non-consented surround mix (usually done by the label) that sounds fantastic

Then the 'artist' is definitely NOT Mr. Afternoon!

"Deep" listening with eyes closed is still a thing with me.
On the other hand I often appreciate the video aspect as well, when available, and of course if I happen to like that particular one.
I don't see a conflict between the two, I guess it's all in what you like. I have quite a few jazz/fusion recordings from live performances, and while the sound is usually not super great when in surround, the visual aspect helps a little, for me.
For example I'm a fan of Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, and also Mike Stern among others. Not much out there for surround, but I still get a kick out of watching them play. In videos from years past I always get a kick out of that little smile that Rit or Carlton will get when they play a particular piece of music well or just out of sheer enjoyment of their craft.

But you know, these days I'm not much of a tv watcher, really. But add some good music to video and I'm cool with it. There is only one YouTube channel I subscribe to, and it has nothing to do with music, but rather cars "a guy" rescues and drives home, and I enjoy the music during the driving segments. Could not tell you what his music sources are, but generally I like what I hear.

I hardly ever listen to audio from a concert without the video. To me the video adds a lot to most live proceedings.

King Crimson's two latest live releases on video and audio have the option to hear the audio without the video and even though their live performances are not visually quite attractive, it's more enjoyable to see them play with a really good surround sound for a concert.

along with all the usual BS negativity, misunderstanding and general skeptical distrust of Surround, like "why should there be a trumpet 20 feet over my shoulder" (that nearly made me spit out my cornflakes 😂), i note once again the dreaded fear that the precious Stereo mix will somehow be forgotten is part of their argument against Surround Music. excuse me while i lapse into a coma head first into my cornflakes bowl!

just what are these people afraid of.. 🤔

along with all the usual BS negativity, misunderstanding and general skeptical distrust of Surround, like "why should there be a trumpet 20 feet over my shoulder" (that nearly made me spit out my cornflakes 😂), i note once again the dreaded fear that the precious Stereo mix will somehow be forgotten is part of their argument against Surround Music. excuse me while i lapse into a coma head first into my cornflakes bowl!

just what are these people afraid of.. 🤔
The author is, perhaps, trying to be a Devils Advocate, for the opposite view, on the success of Dolby Atmos music.
I think she's talking out of her a--e .

They are afraid of the truth, Adam

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back