Surround sound software

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the "grabber." If your AVR has an HDMI input, you can connect it directly to the PC.

My pc has an hdmi output. If I play surround music on the pc, can I get the music from the hdmi out using an audio grabber connected to my surround reciever?

Yes, look for 7.1 audio extractor. I have such a system and works ok after a little customization. Basically, the only "special thing" i had to do deal with the fact that on my pc chipset the hdmi port at boot it defaults to stereo; a small utility (auto3it) provides after boot the necessary moves to cpanel/audio/hdmi/configure/5.1/etc... in order to set it to quad output.

Further: WTB: Jethro Tull- Aqualung quad tape

If the HDMI ports on both your computer and your AVR are unrestricted you can just connect them. You'll see the AVR as an available audio device on your computer. Some computers and AVRs have HDMI ports restricted to video only. You can try a thunderbolt port on the computer if you don't see the AVR connect on the HDMI port. (TB to HDMI cable) Try this first.

If you're trying to put another device in-between, results will vary case to case.

There's an example out there that defaults to stereo and doesn't respond to OS audio utility control for multichannel? Well, that sounds like a wild ride!

It's worth it to poke around a little as that example shows! It can be a little frustrating at first because most every combination of settings beyond the correct one just leaves everything silently mocking you.

Is the "grabber" for stripping off HDCP? That's the other thing. Sometimes this goes wild and silences legally owned media. "Better not play it just in case" or something.

Yes, look for 7.1 audio extractor. I have such a system and works ok after a little customization. Basically, the only "special thing" i had to do deal with the fact that on my pc chipset the hdmi port at boot it defaults to stereo; a small utility (auto3it) provides after boot the necessary moves to cpanel/audio/hdmi/configure/5.1/etc... in order to set it to quad output.

Further: WTB: Jethro Tull- Aqualung quad tape

Thank you. Much appreciated! I also learned that even tho my sound card was capable of 5.1, I needed to update the driver. It’s all falling into place.
You should ultimately have two audio device choices for sound then. The pci sound card or the HDMI or thunderbolt connected AVR. (You'd need another choice for amps coming from the pci card of course vs the AVR. Like a receiver with analog inputs or DIY amp setup.)

Back