HiRez Poll Sutton, Tierney - ON THE OTHER SIDE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Tierney Sutton - ON THE OTHER SIDE

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD from TELARC

Telarc SACD-63650 (y) :phones (n)

Let me start by saying, I'm not a huge Jazz fan, but I truly appreciate great Jazz performances when I hear them. That being said, this is a great Jazz performance, and stellar recording. Telarc hits a home run with Tierney Sutten's latest recording - On The Other Side.

The sound places you in an intimate club setting, and you have the best table, front and center. Only this is a private performance just for you. As each song was ending, I kept anticipating the applause from the audience that wasn't there. This is a studio recording, but the sound seems much bigger, with a widely dispersed sound stage.

She has a "Happy" theme with this disc as 9 of the 13 song titles contain the word Happy. But she gives the word Happy a different spin here, ranging from heartache to joy. On The Other Side, starts out very bluesy and melancholy, taking originally upbeat tempo pop songs and slowing them down to create a special mood. She then picks it up in the middle of the disc into a frisky fun vibe, with guest Jack Sheldon on vocals and trumpet. Then returns to a more bluesy finish.

The surrounds are used to tastefully create the club like ambience, with a few subtle fills of instrumentation. So if you are looking for the discrete separation of instruments like Telarc did with LAGQ's Guitar Heroes, it's not here. They did however create an audiophiles dream for imaging. If you close your eyes, you can't help but imagine that you're there, hearing it performed just for you. You can almost see the soft flicker of candlelight and smell the Champagne...... OK, that's a reach, but this recording takes you to another place, which I happen to think all great recordings should do.

I don't really think it is fair to compare recordings like this to artists like Porcupine Tree, or Donald Fagen with their awesome use of surrounds, because it is much like comparing apples to oranges. Obviously the artists intent is different. So on this one I'm basing my vote, solely in the category of Jazz recordings and it gets a 10.

Dennis

Let me start by saying, I'm not a huge Jazz fan, but I truly appreciate great Jazz performances when I hear them. That being said, this is a great Jazz performance, and stellar recording. Telarc hits a home run with Tierney Sutten's latest recording - On The Other Side.

The sound places you in an intimate club setting, and you have the best table, front and center. Only this is a private performance just for you. As each song was ending, I kept anticipating the applause from the audience that wasn't there. This is a studio recording, but the sound seems much bigger, with a widely dispersed sound stage.

She has a "Happy" theme with this disc as 9 of the 13 song titles contain the word Happy. But she gives the word Happy a different spin here, ranging from heartache to joy. On The Other Side, starts out very bluesy and melancholy, taking originally upbeat tempo pop songs and slowing them down to create a special mood. She then picks it up in the middle of the disc into a frisky fun vibe, with guest Jack Sheldon on vocals and trumpet. Then returns to a more bluesy finish.

The surrounds are used to tastefully create the club like ambience, with a few subtle fills of instrumentation. So if you are looking for the discrete separation of instruments like Telarc did with LAGQ's Guitar Heroes, it's not here. They did however create an audiophiles dream for imaging. If you close your eyes, you can't help but imagine that you're there, hearing it performed just for you. You can almost see the soft flicker of candlelight and smell the Champagne...... OK, that's a reach, but this recording takes you to another place, which I happen to think all great recordings should do.

I don't really think it is fair to compare recordings like this to artists like Porcupine Tree, or Donald Fagen with their awesome use of surrounds, because it is much like comparing apples to oranges. Obviously the artists intent is different. So on this one I'm basing my vote, solely in the category of Jazz recordings and it gets a 10.

Dennis

I agree with your comments that this is an excellent performance and a very well done Surround Sound SACD.

As you note, the Surround Sound fits the performance with accents and some subtle instrumentation in the surrounds. I particularly like the way Telarc engineer Rod Friedrich recorded the front channel sound staging. The layers you can hear in SACD Surround are excellent.

I'd also mention that fans of this SACD should consider Sutton's two earlier SACDs - I particularly like her Sinatra Tribute SACD. Some great songs with Sutton's usual interesting interpretations and phrasing.

these straight to DSD from TELARC have great sonics. This disc has a great front sound stage. Jack Sheldon from the Merv Griffin Show has a great sound as well.

I have 3 Tierney Sutton SACD's so am familiar with her style.
I like her free-style (for lack of better term) interpretations of "classic" tunes. She could have just sung them straight, but with her looser style, they take on a more thoughtful meaning. An excellent female jazz vocalist.

I agree this is a audiophile-quality recording, with good imaging, soundstage and depth.

If you like this one, look for Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue; it will knock your socks off. It's even a better audiophile recording, even in 2 channel.

I gave this a solid 9.

Saw her at the Vancouver Jazz festival last monthShe was great so was the band.

Back