Poll: Would You Buy Suzanne Ciani ‎– Buchla Concerts in SACD Surround Sound?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy Suzanne Ciani SACDs of her Buchla Concerts in Quad?

• Yes

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I have been asked to create a poll on our level of interest for one or more SACD releases of live quad material by Suzanne Ciani. I was not previously familiar with her name or music, so I found this on YouTube:

Based on what I hear there, I think a well done quad mix would be super cool! This music was created using a Buchla synthesizer. The Buchla actually had voltage controlled quad panning built in. I am told that it sounds amazing.

So the question is, assuming the price is right, would you purchase one or more of these discs. The material is said to be not exactly the YouTube clip, but like the clip, and the quad masters are in hand.

Please vote yes or no.

In your discussion please say how much you would be willing to pay, keeping in mind this material is likely to be one or more limited edition releases.

Put a price on an artist of Ciani's stature?
OK, $50. Put up a GoFundMe. I'm in.

Here's a profile from the 80's from Keyboard Magazine:

Suzanne Ciani

034_elm0118_interview_suzanneciani-1.jpg

She’s one of the top studio synthesists in New York, and while you’ve more than likely never heard her name before, it would have been hard for you to have avoided hearing her work. Take this, for example: Remember that Coca-Cola commercial where someone pops open a bottle of Coke and pours it into a glass? Guess what. That wasn’t the sound of a bottle of Coke being opened. It wasn’t the sound of Coke being poured out, either. It was the sound of a Buchla synthesizer being manipulated by Suzanne Ciani to sound like Coke.

It’s typical for Suzanne to do 50 or so sessions a week, so you can imagine just how many commercials she’s done. She can’t even begin to remember all of the people she’s worked for, but off the top of her head, she recalls having done things for Lincoln/Mercury, American Express, NBC, ABC, General Electric, Atari, General Motors, Time Magazine, and Sperry/Rand, not to mention Meco’s disco version of the theme from Star Wars.

Suzanne’s massive Buchla synthesizer sports no keyboard at all. It was designed by Don Buchla, who feels that keyboards have no business being interfaced with synthesizers.

Suzanne Ciani on New Age Synth

Suzanne Ciani on New Age Synth
KEYBOARD MAGAZINEUPDATED:NOV 29, 2017ORIGINAL:MAY 10, 2010

Composer, pianist, and recording artist Suzanne Ciani has been a true pioneer in the field of electronic music.
She has released 15 albums, ten of them on her own independent label Seventh Wave.
A five time Grammy nominee in New Composer, pianist, and recording artist Suzanne Ciani has been a true pioneer in the field of electronic music.
She has released 15 albums, ten of them on her own independent label Seventh Wave.
A five-time Grammy nominee in New Age Music and a winner of the Indie Award, Ciani has also published four books of original piano music through Hal Leonard.
Her career has included film scoring, commercial production, and live concerts around the world, in a variety of expressions: pure electronic, solo piano, piano with orchestra, and piano with jazz ensemble.

suzanne-ciani-recent-web-1.jpg

I have been asked to create a poll on our level of interest for one or more SACD releases of live quad material by Suzanne Ciani. I was not previously familiar with her name or music, so I found this on YouTube:

Based on what I hear there, I think a well done quad mix would be super cool! This music was created using a Buchla synthesizer. The Buchla actually had voltage controlled quad panning built in. I am told that it sounds amazing.

So the question is, assuming the price is right, would you purchase one or more of these discs. The material is said to be not exactly the YouTube clip, but like the clip, and the quad masters are in hand.

Please vote yes or no.

In your discussion please say how much you would be willing to pay, keeping in mind this material is likely to be one or more limited edition releases.

I would buy anything in quad/surround by Suzanne Ciani . Other than SACD I would also suggest the Involve Smart Encode since it is over all a much simpler production & produces results indistinguishable from the discrete original. I agree with Dave Wave: $50 & I'm in. A go fund me page is something I would contribute to.

As Suzanne is a US based artist, SACD would have to be made overseas, and incur unnecessary costs - especially for a short run. Blu Ray could be made domestically and provide a more universal platform with plenty of capacity for additional audio/visual content. A $29.99 price point is reasonable.

well.. i don't know why i got an angry reaction from ~dave~~wave~ ? 🤷‍♀️

£10-15 GBP feels like a fair price in sterling for just one no frills SACD.. equates to about $20 US Dollars.. similar price point to Vocalion.. with international shipping it'd be closer to a $50 purchase and the artist sees none of that money lost on import duty etc.

a Blu-ray or DVD with some video content, could maybe push the envelope to £20, so $30.

tbh in the difficult throes of this pandemic, a download could work just as well and though i ordinarily love the physical product, a download may actually be my preferred option at this moment in time 🤔

well.. i don't know why i got an angry reaction from ~dave~~wave~ ? 🤷‍♀️

£10-15 GBP feels like a fair price in sterling for just one no frills SACD.. equates to about $20 US Dollars.. similar price point to Vocalion.. with international shipping it'd be closer to a $50 purchase and the artist sees none of that money lost on import duty etc.

a Blu-ray or DVD with some video content, could maybe push the envelope to £20, so $30.

tbh in the difficult throes of this pandemic, a download could work just as well and though i ordinarily love the physical product, a download may actually be my preferred option at this moment in time 🤔

Sorry I over-reacted, simply my knee-jerk reaction. :oops: Oops!
So, unlike some prominent actors in the world today:
  • I apologize freely and unreservedly
  • I own my action
  • I will not go back and edit my emoji to try to pretend it never happened
Hope there are no hard feelings.
Is there an emoji for offering a virtual handshake? 👋 :hi

Learned scanning the news this morning that going forward, we would be better off as a society to end that thousand-year-old ritual for our collective health. o_O 🤜🤛

• I own my action

Learned scanning the news this morning that going forward, we would be better off as a society to end that thousand-year-old ritual for our collective health. o_O 🤜🤛

of course there's no hard feelings! 🙂

self-distancing hugs! 🤗

ps. accepted wholeheartedly but no apology really necessary! 👍 i just don't think i could readily justify shelling out too much over roughly £20 on any CD right now.. maybe when there's some light at the end of the tunnel..? 🤔

I see that 24 people have viewed this thread, but only four have voted. Please take the time to weigh in on this, as it may make a difference on whether this happens or not. Thanks!

Thank you Fourplay, for your involvement trying to get a Ciani release in quad! I am curious how the initial idea to use the SACD format came about?

I would agree with Elmer that a Blu-Ray would have the advantage of adding some video. But this would only be of value to me if it was something other than existing YouTube material.

Over all I think fredblue suggestions for a download to be the most expediant & cost effective way to do it. Many of us are already used to enjoying high res audio with nothing more than a cover pic or track list so not having video is ok with me. Suzanne made 24/96 discrete FLAC files available for DL & if you can tie a pay model to that I'd jump at it. She could even offer the choice of discrete or Involve Encode. The latter would be compatible with car audio & other platforms. It makes even DPL II sound better than it should.

• I own my action

Blu-ray - $50
Elbow bump 1586446405143.jpeg

Thank you Fourplay, for your involvement trying to get a Ciani release in quad! I am curious how the initial idea to use the SACD format came about?

I would agree with Elmer that a Blu-Ray would have the advantage of adding some video. But this would only be of value to me if it was something other than existing YouTube material.

Over all I think fredblue suggestions for a download to be the most expediant & cost effective way to do it. Many of us are already used to enjoying high res audio with nothing more than a cover pic or track list so not having video is ok with me. Suzanne made 24/96 discrete FLAC files available for DL & if you can tie a pay model to that I'd jump at it. She could even offer the choice of discrete or Involve Encode. The latter would be compatible with car audio & other platforms. It makes even DPL II sound better than it should.

a lossless hi-res download of one of her albums or live performances with Involve encoded 2-ch plus the discrete multichannel would be great!! 🤩

I know Ciani's music a little bit--and know her reputation, of course. I'm generally not that excited by electronic music--I'm not a huge Wendy Carlos or Tomita fan, for instance--so I'm with Adam: I'd probably take a $20 flier on an SACD (or maybe $25 on a Blu-Ray), just to support the cause. I'd be perfectly happy with FLAC downloads. And if I liked the first album, I'd come back for more...

Last edited:
I like physical media its not quite like the days of vinyl, but it 'adds' a connection. So US$25/£20 for a BDA would be reasonable. But, it would cost me more in the UK, assuming it was US$10/£8 to post to the UK, we pay 20% VAT (currently!) so +£4 , and a tax gathering fee to the courier of around £12 on all imports. This adds up to around £44/US$55 to get it in my grubby paws in the UK. A few of us would probably club together to get a few to cut the effect of the £12 tax gathering rip-off. A download is more economic, or to get say Burning Shed to stock it.

Back