Suzanne Ciani: A New Quad Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

šŸ‘‚ 500 MPH EARS šŸ‘‚
QQ Supporter
On Suzanne Ciani's website it was announced a couple days ago a new release in surround sound:
Improvisation on Four Sequences
Live Buchla Quadraphonic Performance in Geneva, Switzerland
at Festival Antigel January 25, 2020

Available formats: Quadraphonic, Ambisonic, 5.1, and Stereo. All available in 44.1 and 88.2 in an external download link included in the download package.

The only quad format I know that she uses is Involve Smart encode but the Ambisonic version is a new one to me. Clicking on add to cart doesn't reveal any more info. I imaginge you choose surround format after completion. I'm pretty revved about this & for only $15 you bet I'll give it a listen.

Last edited:
Thanks Sonik Wiz... I just paid and got a download link but it only resulted in a 600mb 2 ch wav file. šŸ™

There's a PDF also that says ...

DOWNLOAD LINK
For all spatial mixes in 44.1 and 88.2 [Link]

But the link only gave me a google ruh roh 404 code... Teething trouble which I'm sure will be sorted...

I guess I could try the download I got through the SM? But it would be a hassle to set up. I'd just prefer the discrete 88.2 quad files...

Got the same error as MrSmithers, with a bit more detail.
The request for spatial mixes is malformed. :eek:

Happy to support the artist, will listen to the 44.1/24 wav files in fake surround until they fix the link.

SuzanneCiani_Antigel_Stereo.jpeg

@Fourplay

400. Thatā€™s an error.

The server cannot process the request because it is malformed.
It should not be retried.
Thatā€™s all we know.

Happy to support the artist, will listen to the 44.1/24 wav files in fake surround until they fix the link.

View attachment 53573

@Fourplay

400. Thatā€™s an error.

Thatā€™s all we know.
I'm not :ROFLMAO: at you. That just looks like a Barney Google translate Japanese to English.

Live Buchla Quadraphonic Performance in Geneva, Switzerland at Festival Antigel January 25, 2020

I didnā€™t know at the time that concert touring would disappear and that a pandemic would suddenly end my live Buchla performance era that had had a resurgence in 2016. For those years, I flew around the world, toting my Buchla 200e in checked baggage and prayed that it would survive the trip: Melbourne, Tokyo, London, Santiago, New York and on and on until this year when the world changed.

So now, I have the time to release some of these quadraphonic performances.
Itā€™s not entirely feasible to release a quad performance on vinyl --- I did it, with help ---the first quad vinyl release in at least 30 years, complete with enclosed hardware decoder.
As a collectorā€™s item, thatā€™s fine, but I want to make the quad files available in a more practical way.

This Geneva recording is my first release solely on my Atmospheric label.
The piece is titled ā€œImprovisation on Four Sequencesā€ and those four sixteen-stage sequences have been the ā€œraw materialā€ of most of my Buchla concerts since the early 70ā€™s.

Weā€™re making this performance available in several formats, including quadraphonic, 5.1, stereo and ambisonic.; all at 44.1 and 88.2.
I hope you enjoy this immersive sound,
Suzanne Ciani

DOWNLOAD LINK
For all spatial mixes in 44.1 and 88.2
drive.google.comxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Composer: Suzanne Ciani
Publisher: Musica International (ASCAP) Ā© and ā„— Ciani-Musica, Inc.
Release date: June 11, 2020
Instruments used: Buchla 200e, Moog Animoog, Eventide H9.

Official artist website: sevwave.com
Artwork: Mary Ciani

Layout design and ambisonic mix engineer: Rachel Aiello
Mastering Engineer: Gus Skinas at Super Audio Center LLC.

Recorded on January 25th 2020 at the Festival ANTIGEL / Geneva, Switzerland

In collaboration with Association LUEUR
Venue: cave12
Sound engineer: Benjamin "Benouzeā€ Ducrot

Live Buchla Quadraphonic Performance in Geneva, Switzerland at Festival Antigel January 25, 2020

I didnā€™t know at the time that concert touring would disappear and that a pandemic would suddenly end my live Buchla performance era that had had a resurgence in 2016. For those years, I flew around the world, toting my Buchla 200e in checked baggage and prayed that it would survive the trip: Melbourne, Tokyo, London, Santiago, New York and on and on until this year when the world changed.

Itā€™s not entirely feasible to release a quad performance on vinyl --- I did it, with help ---the first quad vinyl release in at least 30 years, complete with enclosed hardware decoder.
As a collectorā€™s item, thatā€™s fine, but I want to make the quad files available in a more practical way.

The piece is titled ā€œImprovisation on Four Sequencesā€ and those four sixteen-stage sequences have been the ā€œraw materialā€ of most of my Buchla concerts since the early 70ā€™s.

Weā€™re making this performance available in several formats, including quadraphonic, 5.1, stereo and ambisonic.; all at 44.1 and 88.2.
Suzanne Ciani

DOWNLOAD LINK

Very cool artwork Mary Ciani? Just pointing out.

View attachment 53573

@Fourplay

400. Thatā€™s an error.

Thatā€™s all we know.

Thanks for pinging me. I was not aware that this was coming on-line. When the dust settles I will buy!

Thanks for pinging me. I was not aware that this was coming on-line. When the dust settles I will buy!
Hey @Fourplay... A while back you started discussion about Suzanne releasing some material on SACD. Do you think this that same project? Released online but not on disc? I am pretty happy that she's offering quality digital formats.

Hey @Fourplay... A while back you started discussion about Suzanne releasing some material on SACD. Do you think this that same project? Released online but not on disc? I am pretty happy that she's offering quality digital formats.

I believe it is the same. They were not convinced that SACD would be cost effective for the project, so it looks like downloads will be the mode of distribution. I am not "insider" enough to provide any more info. As I posted last night, I did not even know this one was going live. I am just happy there is some forward progress.

Suzanne Ciani

DOWNLOAD LINK

I downloaded this, and was surprised to find that it didn't give me the option to download it in the format of my choice. There was simply one place to click, and that was stereo. I want the quadraphonic version. Why was there no option to select the download you want?

I believe it is the same. They were not convinced that SACD would be cost effective for the project, so it looks like downloads will be the mode of distribution. I am not "insider" enough to provide any more info. As I posted last night, I did not even know this one was going live. I am just happy there is some forward progress.
This morning I contacted Suzanne at Sewave to inquire about some encoding tech questions & give an alert to the glitches ordering on line. I promptly received two very nice e mails from Rachel Aiello on Suzanne's staff. In regard to the ordering issue she said:
What happened was that there was a break in the link and it was adding an additional space where the break was when copied and pasted into the browser. I've just edited and reuploaded the .pdf file though and made it so there isn't a break in the link so there should be no problems.

When purchasing, either through sevwave or bandcamp, only the stereo version was able to be uploaded on either site due to the platform limitations. This is why we included a .pdf with a link to Suzanne's Google Drive account to download all available versions: stereo, quad, 5.1, and ambisonic, both in 44.1 and 88.2.

So you can get only the 2 ch uploads at point of purchase but it looks like you get info on how to get to Google drive where Suzanne has uploaded the other files.
That's sort of mentioned in post #7 but now it makes sense.

As for the tech side I inquired about the method used for the quad & ambisonic encoding. She said:
Regarding the spatial encoding techniques, our mastering engineer, Gus Skinas did the encoding for the quadraphonic format but I do not believe he used the Involve Smart encode. For the Ambisonic mix, we used Envelop's Software for the encoding.

So I certainly know Gus Skinas name but I still don't know the method for quad encoding. I'm a bit disappointed that Involve Smart Encode wasn't used. It just seems a natural. And certianly I posted this thread here because I estimated it would be the Involve encode.To Chucky I apologize & to the mods please move this thread elsewhere if you think it's appropriate.

This morning I contacted Suzanne at Sewave to inquire about some encoding tech questions & give an alert to the glitches ordering on line. I promptly received two very nice e mails from Rachel Aiello on Suzanne's staff. In regard to the ordering issue she said:

So you can get only the 2 ch uploads at point of purchase but it looks like you get info on how to get to Google drive where Suzanne has uploaded the other files.
That's sort of mentioned in post #7 but now it makes sense.

As for the tech side I inquired about the method used for the quad & ambisonic encoding. She said:

So I certainly know Gus Skinas name but I still don't know the method for quad encoding. I'm a bit disappointed that Involve Smart Encode wasn't used. It just seems a natural. And certianly I posted this thread here because I estimated it would be the Involve encode.To Chucky I apologize & to the mods please move this thread elsewhere if you think it's appropriate.
The link to Google Drive, that you hinted at in comment #7 has been x'ed out. There's no way to click on it to get those files. Knowing it was not done with Involve encoding, I kinda feel cheated.

OK so... what exactly is the procedure for getting to the discrete Quad mix please???
  1. Purchase and download the stereo version
  2. In the downloaded folder there is a pdf file with the download link and and liner notes. That is what I pasted into post #7 with the link x-ed out
  3. If the link doesn't work, it's still corrupt, but you can reply to the thank you email you receive with your paid order and ask for help
When I tried to play the 88.2 quad wave file from USB on my X800, I could only hear the front channels.
I converted it to flac, and it plays fine now.
(Apparently Mr Smithers and I had the same thought)

There is a 5.1 wave file available with flat line center and sub that may work better on some systems.
It's definitely quad, as advertised.

Last edited:
Back