Suzanne Ciani: A New Quad Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
INVOLVE AND SUZANNE NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave the Bitch and my good self had a chat with Suzanne this morning about her future STEREO vinyl releases and it turns out her confusion is that she wants to hear the INVOLVE encode recording format played back in Stereo, Dolby pl2, Neo, DTS, ambiosonics and whatever........ and then finally played back through good ol INVOLVE.

Strangely, the lovely, quirky, talented and ever charming Suzanne does not have a home surround setup with one of those wretched surround "receivers" with all those crap formats! She would like to listen to her INVOLVE based surround vinyl record and some other INVOLVE based recording that we will supply.

SO HERE IS THE PUNCHLINE

The lovely Suzanne lives in the San francisco area and would love to visit one of you guys that have all the other crap systems/ formats, a turntable and with Surround Master all set up so she can hear the cross compatibility. This is all with a view of future INVOLVE based stereo vinyl releases

CAN ANY OF YOU EXTREME WACKY QQ SURROUNDY TYPES IN THE SANFRANCISO HELP!!!!!

Dear All

I have had a great offer from one of our QQ members and have suggested it to Suzanne, the only complication is that he lives in Las vegas (checking if Suzanne is going there soon). Meanwhile does anyone else line in San Francisco with every decode system available to demo to Suzanne

CHUCKY NEEDS YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Dear All

I have had a great offer from one of our QQ members and have suggested it to Suzanne, the only complication is that he lives in Las vegas (checking if Suzanne is going there soon). Meanwhile does anyone else line in San Francisco with every decode system available to demo to Suzanne

CHUCKY NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn. Double damn. I can play back Involve Smart Encode through all those formats. Even whatever. But I live even farther away. I hope it works out for Vegas. Is this time for a modest crowdfunder?

Show some loyalty Sonic......move to LA immediately!
Oh man other than where I live now the only other places I'd rather be is London or SF. Maybe more like
Sausalito. I've never been to Australia but I've seen A Boy & his Dog, and Razorback & that's scarred me for life.

Go Suzanne! Go to Vegas!! Woo!

Harlan Ellison's "A Boy & his Dog" rules!
Haha etc dumb ass me. I guess I can't remember 1975 as good as I used too. In revisiting I guess A Boy & his Dog is actually an American film. Here's what confused me:

There, they meet Quilla June Holmes (Susanne Benton), a scheming and seductive teenage girl from "Downunder", a society located in a large underground settlement.

But I guess it's not that Downunder.....

Oh man other than where I live now the only other places I'd rather be is London or SF. Maybe more like
Sausalito. I've never been to Australia but I've seen A Boy & his Dog, and Razorback & that's scarred me for life.

Go Suzanne! Go to Vegas!! Woo!
I have been to London many times (in my Immersion/ Nakanichi dragon days I had an office next to the Ritz in Piccadilly), got to know my directions well. One day I was asked how to go to some place in London by a gang of youths - I correctly told them how. They asked me what I thought about London (hearing my Dutch/ Australian mangled accent) I said nice things to them. Then one of the guys said "personally I think its a shit hole"!

Its the best place in the world in summertime withing a 3 klm radius of Buck palace (if you have the bucks!)

Holland and Germany are great places and I gotta say Melbourne Australia is very friendly. I live literally at the end of the world if you watch the movie "On the Beach" with Gregory Peck/ Fred Astair in a town thats still technically Melbourne though 50 klm from the center called Frankston. strange place with a weird demographic. Its where in the film was the last place to be as the nuclear fallout was killing the whole world!

Anyway if ANY of you guys get to fly out here after the corona thing, contact me and I will show you around (got a spare room)

Last edited:
view from my next house I signed up on yesterday!!!!!

1595467809877.png

"Dwight" and me were at the lookout close to this!

Aces! Nice view & I bet the sea breeze smells good too. So glad to see Involve & Solar Panel Company must be doing well for you. In Frankston?
Nup, sale of my other house/ small mortgage and small inheratance from the recent death of my wifes mother. Actually things are tight and we "time share" our design team with our solar battery company www.zenaji.com and subcontract design to others. Hey we have not lost anyone and we just during the corona thing have added two guys to our manufacture team (really good fellas). But we will survive and GROW

Nup, sale of my other house/ small mortgage and small inheratance from the recent death of my wifes mother. Actually things are tight and we "time share" our design team with our solar battery company www.zenaji.com and subcontract design to others. Hey we have not lost anyone and we just during the corona thing have added two guys to our manufacture team (really good fellas). But we will survive and GROW
Well look at this. Some of these folks are familiar. Good on ya. But whose that guy with the man bun? Looks kind familiar.

https://zenaji.com/about-us/

Last edited:
Haha etc dumb ass me. I guess I can't remember 1975 as good as I used too. In revisiting I guess A Boy & his Dog is actually an American film. Here's what confused me:

But I guess it's not that Downunder.....

It's just west of you.
I was reminded of this by a Kansas artist last year. 🌻

"Downunder has an artificial biosphere, complete with forests and a city, which is named Topeka after the ruins of the destroyed city that it lies beneath"

Well look at this. Some of these folks are familiar. Good on ya. But whose that guy with the man bun? Looks kind familiar.

https://zenaji.com/about-us/
Yep, you caught us again! Thats me with some actual color in my hair (2 years ago- working with Dawson does that to you). Man bun guy is little Max all 6 feet 6 of him, he has since had a hair cut, here is a recent picture of him in Manila showing the guys some assembly techniques (the camera needed to pan backwards!!). He is also very persuasive on "negotiations"

Attachments

• 1595514479165.jpeg
    1595514479165.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 347
I live in Vegas, what do I need?
Hi Jeffko.

Suzanne's main concern is that if she releases future vinyl records encoded in INVOLVE stereo/ surround format that the resultant playback of the vinyl

1 sounds like normal stereo
2 decodes perfectly as compared to the discrete track version with the use of the SM V2
3 Still does a reasonable decode if played through one of the latest "receivers" equipt with the usual multitude of decode options of Dolby pl2. DTS neural X, atmos, neo 6 and whatever else is kicking around.
4 Decodes with older quad style decoders such as sansui/ fosgate etc

Her main emphasis is point 3.

Having a good working knowledge of quad and just what it all represents is also a must. Suzanne is very easy going and a pleasure to deal with. I think she thought that our technique needed to always have our decoder sold with the record- so slight confusion.

Hoping we can make this happen.

Regards

Chucky

great news about the new album release!

I saw Suzanne play live in full quad, a couple years ago out in the countryside, in Ontario. it was amazing!!

clear night, starry sky, lots of wigged out & focused listeners as pot is legal up here now, and fantastic sound

in fact I think I have a copy of her previous quad LP too?

as well as the live loft/warehouse recording in the '70's.

highly recommended

As for the tech side I inquired about the method used for the quad & ambisonic encoding.

Hi Sonik

When I found this thread, I thought I'd download the ambisonic 'stereo' file to try to work out whether it was either UHJ or binaural. Being 2 channel, it could only be one or the other. The notes and info' on the exact type of encoding for this piece are vague. I have a UHJ & B-format processor, plus a decent pair of electrostatic 'phones attached to an Ambiophonics box (miniAMBIO).

I'm pretty sure the ambisonic file is a binaural from B-format type, which I never find works all that well for me personally, but imaging for this piece seems about what I have come to expect from use of non personalised HRTF without head tracking. The sound stage seemed a sort of flat oval passing behind the head and through the eyes (front to back depth), and wide left to right. Otherwise, depth and imaging were quite pleasing.

The ambisonic UHJ decode of this recording on my main system gives odd imaging, so I am provisionally convinced it's not UHJ. The ambisonic 'superstereo/enhance' mode gave a very decent, solid, wide sound stage to my ear and was almost wrap-around with the 'Width' control at max. Sound sources were well focussed and depth was great, if somewhat recessed and distant sounding.

Then I tried the Ambiophonic processor (different room & speakers), which gave a very wide, stable, stereo sound stage. As Ambiophonics is a crosstalk cancellation system (RACE), I reckoned it may give good results considering the recording may be for binaural listening. Although I was hoping, I was not really anticipating a full surround effect and didn't acheive one. Typically, Ambiophonics with one ambiopole (1 pair of speakers about 25 deg apart) can give up to a 150 degree stereo soundstage with very good depth. I wondered whether the perceived overall soundstage layout would be different from headphone listening, which it was but did not seem more than about 150 degrees wide. Imaging was at least frontally presented.

It would be great to know whether anyone else has listened to this recording stereo/ambisonic binaurally.

Back