Switched on (QS) Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chucky of course can reply to this with so much detail your brain will bleed. My answer is that the Surround Master is pretty much a 21st century QSD-1. It owes more to QS legacy than the encoder. The SM is a brilliant updating of original design. It is intended to work with QS or Involve encoding & the latter is where the real departure from Sansui techniques exist.

In Sansui encodeing it is single band fixed encoding coefficients of .4142 or ~ -7dB between chs. As stated in Chucky's previous note the Involve encoder works variably over three independent frequency bands. It checks the separation & direction of the inputted discrete sound & adjusts the matrix blend from a max of -7dB to much less. So this gives an encoded output that has all the directional encoding perfect for a Surround Master or other QS decoder, but also has audibly wider separation to a listener as in a stereo record. Best of both worlds.

I really enjoyed the show last night! I'm sorry I haven't tuned in to other shows of yours. I recorded on my upstairs PC & will listen to again on my SM downstairs tonight. Back in '72 Switched on Bach stereo played back via Hafler set up was my 1st exposure to surround sound sound. I picked a good one to start with; it blew me away. I have the SQ LP somewhere but I can't find it so your slection was a real treat.

What is your other channel you podcast from with more frequent playing of quad?

Many thanks to Sonik Wiz!!!!

I have been distracted doing a Solar battery show in Melbourne the last few days, Sonik really knows his stuff!! Yep the philosophy of our encoder is effectively to look at what is being recorded and if for example it has very little surround content the bias the matrix more towards the stereo with a matrix parameter closer to j0.21 (ensures an absolute minimum separation of 12dB in the decode......even when there is no surround), if the material has heaps of surround then go for the full QS paramaters of J0.414. Because it is a dynamic 3 band process the parameter bounces all over the place on music. The result only effects the encode but as Sonik says it results in zero compression of the stereo downmix thus ensuring no listener losers quality even if they are listening without the decoder.

The Involve decoder IS A QS MATRIX!!!!! The major differences is that like the Sansui QSD1 it is a triband decoder but more importantly the vario matrix is extensively adjusted in line with human hearing perception allowing for factors of things like the Fletcher Munsen curve, Logarithmic hearing, Hass effect and the nature of perception on simultaneously arriving signals. It is with all that poop that we do not pump or smear the sound and to a large extent manage to separate whole instruments etc.

So in short......no losers!!

Hey Chucky! How about offering an Involve encoder at a reduced rate to Bill in exchange for promotion of Involve on his show? A shameless plug to get more exposure can't hurt. Bill is encoding discrete sources and might benefit the listeners, no?

Good idea, I love shameless plugs!

Hey Bill whats the address??

Regards

Chucky

hi
If you mean the url -
I do two shows on RadioMaxMusic.com - the Monday night show is where I go back to the discrete sources and encode them for qs. - this is mostly rock/pop oriented full LPs
My own station - which is all ez-listening - I do at least 1 hour of quad every day at 8pm (NYC time)
that one is EZMaxMusic
there is a third station in the same group, but I have no on-air time there (just supply much of the music) -
but no intentional quad output.
I have links to all three stations on the top of http://ezmaxmusic.com/
these are 128 bit rate pop-up players.

all the best

hi
If you mean the url -
I do two shows on RadioMaxMusic.com - the Monday night show is where I go back to the discrete sources and encode them for qs. - this is mostly rock/pop oriented full LPs
My own station - which is all ez-listening - I do at least 1 hour of quad every day at 8pm (NYC time)
that one is EZMaxMusic
there is a third station in the same group, but I have no on-air time there (just supply much of the music) -
but no intentional quad output.
I have links to all three stations on the top of http://ezmaxmusic.com/
these are 128 bit rate pop-up players.

all the best
No I mean the address to send an Involve encoder board (free!!)......PM me

Back