Sylvania RQ 4747 receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bobequus

I recently acquired a Sylvania RQ4747 Four Channel receiver. It appears to be in fairly good shape. In my testing, I connected a cassette tape deck and listened through headphone. It works quite well until you switch from stereo to one of the quad modes (discrete or matrix). When that is done, the levels drop off considerably, maybe to 10% of what it sounds like in stereo mode. Still audible, though. It does this no matter which inputs are used and in both tape monitors.
Is there a problem with this unit or is my testing flawed? Do I need to use a dedicated quad input device?
Please forgive me if this question sounds dumb. While I have dabbled in stereo for years, quad is a whole new ball game to me. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated. And should anyone be able to forward me a copy of the owner's manual, I would be eternally in your debt (or at least until next thursday).
Thanks for all your help.
Bobequus

Are you using quadraphonic headphones?? If not you are only getting the front channel or rear channel portion (depending on which headphone jack you are plugged into) of the matrix,and will be missing some of the reproduced sound! As for the discrete input it should be the same level as the stereo position on the selector unless Sylvania introduces the BTL circuit when you switch to stereo on the selector.:eek:

Back