Syntonic Research LP Series

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have a couple questions about the Syntonic Research LP Series.

The main question is: Is everyone sure that the Atlantic copies are not quad, only the ones with the SR logo on the front?

I just don't see why they would change the master tape for the reissues when the first releases were quad only.

I see in the inside where it talks about quadraphonic, I will have to find one of my Atlantic copies (of which I mostly have :[ ) and see if the inside says anything about quad, I'm guessing they don't.

Also is everyone sure these are DY encoded. They are non-specific about what encoding method they use, just that they are "compatable with all current decoders". Sometimes I feel like when the type of quad is unknown, everyone just assumed it was DY or EV4.

UATL_SD66003__63386__09282009013550-1279.jpg

If you play it back through a 4-channel scope and look at the matrix, it's a reverse of SQ - meaning the long and short sides of the matrix (180 and 90) is on the opposite leg than in SQ. That would rule out matrices that only have two 90-degree phasings and no 180 phasing.

If you play it back through a 4-channel scope and look at the matrix, it's a reverse of SQ - meaning the long and short sides of the matrix (180 and 90) is on the opposite leg than in SQ. That would rule out matrices that only have two 90-degree phasings and no 180 phasing.

What matrices wouldn't be ruled out? (I've been wondering about this for years).

J. D.

Somewhere on here posted a couple three times on different threads is the phase chart for all the major matrices. Each one shows where the rear-channel phase is at. Some have equal 90 and 90 phase-outs, some have 90 and 180 phase outs, other ones have 67.5 or 112.5....

Back