Taj Mahal Travellers July 15 1972 - Japanese SQ CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Ok, the original japanese lp is marked SQ and showed up on ebay recently as an expensive collectable. All their records are recorded live performances so I suspect they mixed just one master for this one, in SQ.
I got a copy of the cd resissue of this and believe the quad encoding is intact. On the SQ setting the rear speakers were very active and I heard some sounds moving from front to back on the long track (26 minutes, the other two are around 12-15 minutes each)The mix appeared to be too ordered to be random so I think it is the real Sq. At least it sounded right on the SQ setting as opposed to enhance. It's very full sounding. But I don't have the original vinyl to compare it to and I will never be able to afford it anyways.
This is wonderful Japanese ensemble music with traditional instruments, chanting, and electronic instruments also incorporating environmental sounds. Very avant garde, a product of the psychedelic 70's. I really enjoy it and reccomend it. For more information go to Julian Copes' Japrock book. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely agree that this has to be SQ. The separation is just too good not to be. Looking at the wav files there are distinct differences that could not be coincidental. As a matter of fact the first thing you hear is from the rear.
Here is a screen cap:

Attachments

• taj.jpg
    taj.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 158
Back