Talking Heads in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had a chance to listen yet but has Lefsetz come around on surround music? I recall when he interviewed Steven Wilson a couple of years ago he was completely clueless, and when Atmos began rolling out on streaming, he wrote about how that is not how music was intended to be produced, or some such nonsense.
I'd say that his Atmos-related questions were not skeptical or prejudicial.

Just an FYI that Jerry Harrison and Adrian Belew are just starting a Remain in Light tour playing Talking Heads of that era.
https://www.remaininlight.net/

I'd be much more interested in Tina and Chris. They were the heart and soul of the band, even if David did manage to steal most of the limelight. Jerry was the least important member of the band.

I'd be much more interested in Tina and Chris. They were the heart and soul of the band, even if David did manage to steal most of the limelight. Jerry was the least important member of the band.
Really, the lead guitarist was least important. I always felt Tina was the least important and less advanced on her instrument.

Really, the lead guitarist was least important. I always felt Tina was the least important and less advanced on her instrument.

To each their own but I always felt the rhythm section was what made the Heads really special. Yes, Tina started off without a lot of chops, but she did progress a lot. But that funky groove that drove the band doesn't require a virtuoso- it's more about the interplay between the drummer and bassist imo and obviously those two were greatly in sync.

So for me, the rhythm section was most important; the singer/main lyricist and the special qualities his quirkiness brought were next and Jerry did his job well but it wasn't what helped define the band. Just imho and obviously YMMV.

To each their own but I always felt the rhythm section was what made the Heads really special. Yes, Tina started off without a lot of chops, but she did progress a lot. But that funky groove that drove the band doesn't require a virtuoso- it's more about the interplay between the drummer and bassist imo and obviously those two were greatly in sync.

So for me, the rhythm section was most important; the singer/main lyricist and the special qualities his quirkiness brought were next and Jerry did his job well but it wasn't what helped define the band. Just imho and obviously YMMV.
That is a very fair description and presented that way I will agree.
I must also correct your point about David. I think he managed to take ALL of the limelight. ;-)

I agree, the rhythm section is my favorite aspect of Talking Heads. Whether or not the musicians in question are "virtuosos" is irrelevant to me. They drove the band regardless.

checking back in after seeing Jerry/Adrian ... and a total number of on stage musicians at 11.
It was a great show and if you get a chance, hearing some Talking Heads with horns, bass, drum, keys, percussion, and everything Ade and Jerry bring is worth it.
20230227_205538_HDR.jpg

checking back in after seeing Jerry/Adrian ... and a total number of on stage musicians at 11.
It was a great show and if you get a chance, hearing some Talking Heads with horns, bass, drum, keys, percussion, and everything Ade and Jerry bring is worth it.
View attachment 89144
Naked songs?

View attachment 89144
got me tix to see them in NOLA in June!!!!
Met Ade and Julie back in 2016 in Madrid and they were LOVERLY!!! Fell in love with Julie!!!

Just curious, have you ever heard Casual Gods?

got me tix to see them in NOLA in June!!!!
Met Ade and Julie back in 2016 in Madrid and they were LOVERLY!!! Fell in love with Julie!!!
Julie has a heart of gold.
I've run into Ade a number of times over the years, to include Monday while he was checking in to the same hotel my wife and I stayed at. He was in a hurry but gracious enough to take a picture with her.

Here is the setlist I got to enjoy:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jerr.../2023/goodyear-theater-akron-oh-7bbacad8.html
Psycho Killer
Crosseyed and Painless
Houses in Motion
I Zimbra
Drugs
Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)
Cities
Rev It Up
Slippery People
Thela Hun Ginjeet
Life During Wartime
Once in a Lifetime
Take Me to the River
The Great Curve

For everyone’s info, this is the same setlist they’ve used since last year. The only change in the show I saw was them calling an audible and moving Slippery People earlier in the set when Adrian broke a string (he’s not on stage for Rev It Up or Slippery People — Jerry’s not on stage for Thela Hun Ginjeet).

Anyhow, yep, I caught the show in OKC last week — a fun gig, and it was a joy to finally see Adrian live. The only other time he’s been in OKC was a Power Trio gig in 2014 that I had to miss. Much to my delight, I get to see him again next month when the Celebrating David Bowie tour comes to Tulsa.

The gig would’ve been more fun if the sound had been better. But, as the show went along, the drums became more prominent, whereas Julie’s bass and Adrian’s guitar started getting buried, which is a crime. It became wearying after a while — in particular, Thela was an audio mess. The show overall did have this tinge of “louder/faster = better”, which I’m not totally onboard with.

The show took place on Jerry’s 74th birthday, and during Cool Cool Cool’s opening set, Jerry surprised the audience by coming out and playing/singing lead on an appropriately ramshackle version of the Modern Lovers’ “She Cracked”.

Bummer on the sound for your show. They had the mix much more dialed in on Monday. Ade had to tweak his guitar vol once but otherwise you could hear every instrument.

Julie has a heart of gold.
I've run into Ade a number of times over the years, to include Monday while he was checking in to the same hotel my wife and I stayed at. He was in a hurry but gracious enough to take a picture with her.
She does...
The (VERY DARK) picture I have of me and her made my ex JEALOUS!!!! (and she was NOT THE JEALOUS TYPE! HAHAHA!!!) She was a blast!
Julie.jpg

Back