Tangerine Dream - In Search Of Hades pre-order live

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeler98

300 Club - QQ All-Star
It’s big.... and it’s real...

https://shop.musicvaultz.com/*/Box-...gin-Recordings-73-79-16CD-2BluRay/64IC0KRB000

So $190 Canadian dollars is roughly around $142 USD, and that's not bad at all considering this box set has 18 discs in it, 2 of which are Blu-Rays. (and especially with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes!)
That averages out to around $8 per disc, which is very good value. That's kinda like those King Crimson box sets.
The content is not 100% to my liking, but given the price, the high-res content, and Steven Wilson's involvement, I think it's tough to say no to this one.

:)

So $190 Canadian dollars is roughly around $142 USD, and that's not bad at all considering this box set has 18 discs in it, 2 of which are Blu-Rays. (and especially with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes!)
That averages out to around $8 per disc, which is very good value. That's kinda like those King Crimson box sets.
The content is not 100% to my liking, but given the price, the high-res content, and Steven Wilson's involvement, I think it's tough to say no to this one.

:)
I like your reasoning here rtbluray; wouldn’t it be prudent to just wait a short while (but not too long) and see what others prices shake out to? I was a fairly casual fan of their music, but with SW’s involvement it’s a no brainer😃

Steven Wilson's post about this set:

A major TANGERINE DREAM box set has been confirmed for release by Universal on 31st May. The 16 CD / 2 Blu-Ray set has been a long time in the making. Pre-order here 👉 http://smarturl.it/td-isoh
Tangerine Dream were one of the true pioneers of electronic and ambient music and the albums they recorded for Virgin Records between 1973 and 1979 remain classics of the genre. 'In Search of Hades: The Virgin Recordings 1973 - 1979' is the definitive statement of this period in Tangerine Dream's history, featuring newly remastered versions of the albums 'Phaedra', 'Rubycon', 'Ricochet', 'Stratosfear', 'Encore', 'Cyclone' and 'Force Majeure' all drawn from the original first generation master tapes.
My role was to create new stereo and 5.1 mixes of whatever could be found of the original album multitrack tapes, but that turned out to be only Ricochet and 2 tracks from Phaedra. However, a number of reels of unreleased music were also found, such that 'In Search of Hades' also includes a generous 8 CDs of previously unreleased material. Perhaps most notable amongst these is the previously unreleased full soundtrack to 'Oedipus Tyrannus' (75 minutes) recorded in July 1974. Extracts from these recording sessions have previously been included on Rubycon, Encore and the Virgin sampler album 'V', but the full 75 minute recording has for the first time been mixed in stereo and 5.1 for the box set.
Also newly mixed and included are 2 CDs worth of previously unreleased pieces from the Phaedra sessions, and a 15 minute out-take from Rubycon. Finally, 3 London concerts recorded by the Manor Mobile are included in full (Victoria Palace Theatre in 1974, The Rainbow Theatre in 1974 and Royal Albert Hall in 1975).
The box set also features 2 Blu-Ray discs featuring the stereo and 5.1 remixes of 'Phaedra', 'Oedipus Tyrannus' and 'Ricochet' in high resolution, along with a 1976 German TV performance and BBC Old Grey Whistle Test broadcast of Tangerine Dream at Coventry Cathedral.
In Search of Hades is lavishly packaged with a hardback book featuring new liner notes (including some by myself) and rare photographs and memorabilia.
As a big Tangerine Dream fan myself, I've waited a long time for a definitive set covering their classic period, so of course was very happy to be involved in putting this one together. If you are a fan too please note that, as with many of these lavish box set editions, it's likely to be strictly a limited one-off pressing run, so don't hesitate to pick it up!

https://www.facebook.com/swremixes/photos/a.1640727516159387/2360276484204483/?type=3&theater

As fantastic as it is for Steven Wilson re-mixing a few of these albums, I can't see myself buying an 18 disc box to hear these, I have a few CDs by Tangerine Dream and they aren't that fantastic to be honest. Finances these days also is an issue for me sadly.

Back