HiRez Poll Tangerine Dream - IN SEARCH OF HADES: THE VIRGIN RECORDINGS 1973-1979 [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Tangerine Dream - IN SEARCH OF HADES: THE VIRGIN RECORDINGS 1973-1979

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I've just read the accompanying book. Interesting to see that some of the stereo-only live albums have been mixed from the multitracks. Shame that SW didn't do 5.1 mixes for those. Especially as the ephemera show that some of the concerts were actually performed in quad, so even at the time they were thinking of surround. Still, there's probably a good reason. One review does mention that the quad wasn't that impressive (at the Rainbow, I think) and it also mentions elsewhere that they just recorded 4 tracks [stems] - one for the 3 musicians plus 1 of the audience - for some of their concerts, so there's not too much to play with. (I'm trying to convince myself it's not too much of a loss :D.)

I was on the fence on this one, but I got it anyway. Oh wow, it's fantastic. Both Phaedra and Oedipus Tyrannus sound phenomenal--the latter even better than the former. Spectacular. This kind of immersive experience is what this format is made for. I'm very, very happy I made the plunge despite the price.

Took me about 2 years to find out that a couple of songs from two different discs are unplayable, and I am sure about that since I have tried playing them in every conceivable way.
“Desert dream” from “Encore” is one of them.
Any suggestions as to who to get in touch with from the group to see if they can replace the disc?

Took me about 2 years to find out that a couple of songs from two different discs are unplayable, and I am sure about that since I have tried playing them in every conceivable way.
“Desert dream” from “Encore” is one of them.
Any suggestions as to who to get in touch with from the group to see if they can replace the disc?
Haven't heard of a playing issue but have heard of ripping issues.

Rating only the (SW) 5.1 mixes on this. Those are excellent. Still a "picky" 9 as the music is somewhat dated and it could have been just a notch better if it had not been necessary to use Penteo on the two tracks.

Last edited:
Haven't heard of a playing issue but have heard of ripping issues.
When I ripped my CDs it was often reported as an 'inaccurate rip' - so it had ripped in a playable manner but perhaps had minor glitches. When I retried most rips went OK on the second or third attempt but a few I could not get to rip accurately. But I have not played the CDs in full so have not noticed an errors. I thought I was just unlucky so it does seem that there are general problems. The disc with the biggest problem for me was CD10 - Albert Hall Part 1.

There's an ad in the book for their first British concerts stating quad will be used so it would still be great to get on actual TD quad recording. Hard to believe they never explored quad as they would have been one of the most interesting bands to use it.

The box set is phenomenal and the 5.1 mixes are sweet. I never tire of PHAEDRA as it was my first TD lp and still my favorite. I'm sure as the prices rise in the market nobody will regret this purchase.

I have been a Tangerine Dream fan since the early 70's. I was on the fence about buying this, because I have all of their CD's. And I mean ALL (well over 100!). I didn't have a surround system yet, but I bought this when it first came out, because of all of the extras, and in the hope I would be able to play the 5.1 mixes someday. Well, today is that day. And while I didn't get the great deal that some got when buying this box set, I am certainly glad that I did. The Steven Wilson mixes are all incredible. It's hard to believe that I first listened to Phaedra nearly 50 years ago, but the new mix was like hearing it again for the first time. Very immersive. While I always preferred Ricochet, and the new mix of that is also excellent, there is something about the Phaedra mix that makes it my new favorite. And, I was finally able to hear the holy grail of Tangerine Dream releases, Oedipus Tyrannus. It sort of had a Zeit vs. Atem vibe, but it showed the interesting transition from the Phaedra album to Ricochet. Again, the mix is stellar. These are among my favorite and what I consider the best of Steven Wilson's 5.1 mixes.

I have been a Tangerine Dream fan since the early 70's. I was on the fence about buying this, because I have all of their CD's. And I mean ALL (well over 100!). I didn't have a surround system yet, but I bought this when it first came out, because of all of the extras, and in the hope I would be able to play the 5.1 mixes someday. Well, today is that day. And while I didn't get the great deal that some got when buying this box set, I am certainly glad that I did. The Steven Wilson mixes are all incredible. It's hard to believe that I first listened to Phaedra nearly 50 years ago, but the new mix was like hearing it again for the first time. Very immersive. While I always preferred Ricochet, and the new mix of that is also excellent, there is something about the Phaedra mix that makes it my new favorite. And, I was finally able to hear the holy grail of Tangerine Dream releases, Oedipus Tyrannus. It sort of had a Zeit vs. Atem vibe, but it showed the interesting transition from the Phaedra album to Ricochet. Again, the mix is stellar. These are among my favorite and what I consider the best of Steven Wilson's 5.1 mixes.
What a wonderful introduction to the whacky world of surround!
Welcome.

Back