[TapeOp Magazine] Rudy Van Gelder on surround sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeoProf

Found this interview with Rudy van Gelder https://tapeop.com/interviews/43/rudy-van-gelder/
Here is the part on surround sound - looks like he was a fan :) (He also talk later about SACDs and DSDs.)
Just thought someone here might enjoy it (unless this is interview is well-known here).

What projects are you working on now?

The RVG series. Lately, I have been engaged in remastering all the albums I did for Alfred Lion at Blue Note Records with new 24-bit transfers. In 1998, Mr. Hiroshi Namekata, head of Toshiba-EMI Japan, knowing that I was the engineer on the original Blue Note sessions, requested that I should remaster them for CD for the first time. They would release them as limited editions. I completed 250 albums with new 24-bit transfers and they were released in Japan. At the same time, selected titles were also issued in the US. In 2003, I did another 100 albums for Japan, in memory of Alfred Lion, as limited editions. Selected titles were also released in the US. Today in 2004, Michael Cuscuna is preparing to issue more titles in the US RVG series. I have also been doing sessions. I’ve been doing some surround mixes and I think the results are incredible. Surround imparts a musical envelopment you cannot get from stereo. I’m not talking about the movie mixes. I’m talking about building a surround playback system with full range speakers all around for music. Five full range speakers. And then mix for that. I’m not talking about so-called satellite speakers with a sub woofer, or whatever they use now in home surround systems. Would you want your stereo system to have a big bass speaker on the left and a small high frequency speaker on the right? If you listen to the type of music I’ve been involved with on a system that I’ve described, five full range speakers all around, it should sound far better than any stereo system. For example, when the music is very dense, very busy, a lot of things happening at the same time, certain instruments in the same range like piano and guitar chords with the bass cover each other. If you can mix that in such a way that each player has their own position in space, it’s beautiful and actually easier to mix. It’s a natural way to hear jazz music. I’m talking about five-piece bands, maybe six-piece, even quartets. Actually I just finished a reissue of Joe Henderson called Lush Life which is the first one I did that opened up this new world for me.

:51QQ

Last edited:
I recommend this one of his:
1546893413921.png

Here is the part on surround sound - looks like he was a fan :)

Back in the 1970s, he did most if not all of the CTI quad mixes alongside Creed Taylor. D-V has released several of them on SACD recently.

Rudy Van Gelder (11 x QUAD mixes):
Deodato-Prelude (72)
Deodato/Airto-Live
Deodato-2 (73)
Airto-Fingers (73)
Hank Crawford-Wildflower (73)
Johnny Hammond-Higher Ground (74)
Grover Washington Jr.-Soul Box
Don Sebesky-Giant Box
Joe Farrell-Penny Arcade
George Benson-Body Talk
Stanley Turrentine-Don't Mess With Mister T.

Back