DVD/DTS Poll Tayler, Stephen W - DA CAPO [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Stephen W Tayler - DA CAPO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new release from mixing engineer @Stephen W Tayler entitled "Da Capo", available to order here: Da Capo

(y) :) (n)

stephen-w-tayler_da-capo_cd_dvd.jpg

Just received it earlier today and only thru song 5, but really digging it. Music and visuals pair nicely and the mix is immersive and enveloping. Will wait until I’ve had a chance to hear it in its entirety before voting, but I’m impressed!

Just got it last night. The few snippets I've listened to sound great. Can't wait to dig in to this.

Last edited:
Amazed there aren’t more comments for this excellent album. I really like the music even though I guess you could classify it as ambient, not one of my favorite genres. Love how the songs flow into each other and create a cohesive listening experience. The mix is very nice - immersive and full, although I did bump my rears to reach what I felt was my preferred balance.

I’m going with a well deserved ‘9’. For those who partake of the Rastafarian sacrament, it provides great accompaniment - both aurally and visually. Kudos to @Stephen W Tayler for a surprisingly meditative and enjoyable release!

The content and the mix is perfect for those who want the music to just wash over them. Yes, as @The56Kid said, it goes well with mind altering substances. The video will give those with eyes open something to focus and/or meditate on. In fact, that may be the best way to listen to this. Overall, really well done. I was going to give this a 9, but, I really couldn't find anything I didn't like about it. So it gets a 10.

I confess I'm really late to acquire and comment on this excellent disc! It was rather hard to find stateside, it just never broke through with the usual suspect vendors over here. So I added it to an order from Burning Shed and it arrived a couple weeks ago. I've started a new routine where I bring new music in the house to play on the modest 5.1.2 living room system with my wife over dinner.

Putting this DVD into the player and selecting DTS surround, with no previous knowledge, I was instantly transfixed by the music with these visuals! We were enveloped by a rich mix of electronic keyboards and effects with all channels properly utilized in a natural satisfying manner that was pleasing while never drawing attention to itself. The clever visual content matched the music perfectly. My wife enjoyed this video album very much as well. Need to make a backup to play in the cars next.

I second the comments above about this album providing a calming effect that takes the edge off the day. It's a proper album length (finish in one sitting) so it'll be re-visited many times. The fidelity is top notch to me, very rich and carefully balanced. It would normally be my practice to take a point off for not being lossless but the cumulative joy and satisfaction of the experience with this album makes it a 10 for me as well. Recommended without any hesitation!

Last edited:
This type of music is right up my alley ....a sort of Ambi-Electronics in the Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze vein

and it's quite good , so thank-you for this gem Stephen W Tayler . This will definitely be in my regular Playlist.

The Surround is surprisingly good (very good actually)and I highly recommend this little Electronic wonder...... available on cd/dtsdvd on the Burning Shed label.

And In conclusion I hope Stephen W Tayler continues in this trend and He has my support for a proven Surround title. So more please.

I echo many sentiments from this thread.
I'll add that this album has several interesting melodic themes. It's not as meandering as some ambient works can be.
It only takes a few minutes to get through the liner notes, but they're worth a peek. The album has a cool theme.
The live at Real World Studios material is a must. Discrete and energetic.
Well earned "9". Highly recommend.
Thank you @Stephen W Tayler 👍🤘
RIP Mr. Rupert Hine 💔🎶

Last edited:
I had to come back and comment further. I've been listening to some portion of this album pretty much every day since I wrote above. My current dependence on this recording is rather extraordinary, I always look forward to it. If I reach the end, I start it over! My most favorite tracks are (3) Crosstalk On The Crosswalk (surround demo!), (6) Water Under The Bridge and (8) Four Ways to Fiveways. There is no filler on this album.

It provides '10' level enjoyment for me; it seems so fully really realized as an album and personal statement. Whatever Stephen's goals were, they were exceeded IMHO.

Last edited:
How can it get any better?

I’m daft and only watching the Live @ Real World studios featurette for the first time now thanks to mention of it in this thread!

This album richly deserves some decent stateside availability.

This album richly deserves some decent stateside availability.
Thank you so much for your kind comments!

I sadly had trouble getting commitment from a label for this release so I chose to do the exclusive distribution deal with Burning Shed for the physical release, they are so friendly and helpful. I guess I am just a bit too eclectic!!

SWTx

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

I sadly had trouble getting commitment from a label for this release so I chose to do the exclusive distribution deal with Burning Shed for the physical release, they are so friendly and helpful. I guess I am just a bit too eclectic!!

SWTx
Totally understandable. Do you think it might be possible to offer a download somewhere? Lossless preferred.

Totally understandable. Do you think it might be possible to offer a download somewhere? Lossless preferred.
We shall have to see - depends on the agreements - and frankly I would prefer it to be available audio/visual as it was conceived - we do have the stereo audio version on streaming and download services.....

I was really looking forward to hearing this release. I have loved every Stephen W Tayler mix of other people's work, and the snippets on youtube of Da Capo were really interesting. Plus, this style of music is one of my favorites and sadly overlooked when it comes to multichannel releases. The music grabbed me immediately. The mix I thought was mostly ambient until the third song, "Crosstalk on the Crosswalk" when the electronic percussion was coming from the rears. All the songs flowed together nicely. Some were more upbeat, some were more ambient. Ironically, the first time I listened to this was the day that Manuel Göttsching passed away. In some ways this reminded me of some of his music. Not too much of a hurry to get anywhere, just meandering, but subtly shifting. The journey is the adventure. This project seemed very personal and very idiosyncratic, which was nice. We even get to hear a choral performance from a young Mr. Tayler! Now, being a mere mortal, I don't don't know if it is my place to find fault with the master, but I thought the mix would be more "fun." I understand that much of it lies within the source material, as well as the intent of the artist, so I may be nitpicking. Much of the mix remains ambient. I thought the song "Coda Capo" which has a techno feel could have been a great place to have some fun with the surround. I boosted the rears which helped, but I was a tad disappointed. Still I enjoyed the music immensely, and the live at Real World studios was awesome. Great stuff!

I enjoy the surround mix of Marilion's “Hollidays in Eden” again and again. I rewarded it here with a 10. That will certainly be maintained. When I discovered on this forum that the creator of this mix had released his own album in 2021, my interest was aroused. Especially when I was able to listen to some snippets of the music on the internet. That sounded promising. The opportunity offered to watch moving images while listening also appealed to me. The order (exclusive to Burning Shed) was placed quickly. I expected a demonstration level experience. I have had the album for a few months now and after many listens I would like to say something about it here. I have come to appreciate the music enormously and after some patience there is also a lot to experience in terms of surround. It starts soberly. Present, but not emphatic. Subtle and atmospheric. In the service of music. The second song reminded me a bit of “Cluster One”, by Pink Floyd. You certainly shouldn't judge that as a reference for the entire album. I think more of electronic ambient music (with an occasional rhythmic revival) as I appreciate, for example, Tangerine Dream. The included images are entertaining. All in all, I am very satisfied with this purchase. And oh yes…. Demonstration level? I find myself grabbing something else first when the occasion arises. Something that the person to be convinced thinks he or she knows and with which I can surprise him/her. That's kind of the shortcoming of this product. Definitely deserves extra attention. Maybe this response will help. A well deserved 9.

Back