Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD of James Taylor - DAD LOVES HIS WORK

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
JT's album including "Her Town Too" with JD Souther.

wavest

Good sound... a few great songs and the rest are just alright. Not up there with J.T., but a good one nonetheless. Sonics-8 Music-7

Eggplant

Banned
Since 2002/2003
Pretty good.

One exceptional surround track: "That Lonesome Road" (last one). A capella vocals all around similar to Eagles' "Seven Bridges Road".

There's something seriously wrong with the bass in "Her Town Too." On my system, no matter how I adjust the sub, the low "E" on the bass guitar produces something like intermodulation distortion -- very unpleasant. The stereo mix's treatment of the bass drum and guitar is a joy. Too bad.

Many forgettable tracks with decent sonics.

MIDIQ

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I had to go to my collection and dig this one out because i couldn't remember too much abut it, and after listening to it again i can see why. Probably my least fovorite JT disc, and the surround isn't very impressive either. Now i know why i didn't remember it. It is just average. I gave it a 6.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I love the warm full sound and the surround mix has its high spots.

Not as strong an album as "JT" or "Hourglass" (which is my favourite of the JT 5.1 SACDs) but this is still very nice, I much prefer it to "Flag" (as an album).. this SACD definitely deserves more attention - and praise!- than it gets.

An "8".

keywhiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I’ll give it a “7”. This is a “nice” album. Very smooth. More even from start to finish than “Flag” but few memorable songs. No real clunkers though either. Makes for nice background music.

Sound quality is as good as all the other Taylor SACDs. A “10” for that. But the surround mix is very tame. Same basic philosophy Kunkel used on the others, which is a nice mix, but nothing here that stands out as was the case on the previous two and the rears need to be cranked WAY up.