HiRez Poll Taylor, James - "JT" [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of James Taylor - "JT"

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Thought I would sneak this one in a bit early. I just installed my DENON 3910 (More on that later) and this was the closest SACD so I used it to test the Denon. Holy cow, I forgot A) How good the music was and B) What a spectacular surround mix this is!

I had not listened to this SACD since it came out. I was only going to "spot listen" to evaluate the 3910, but I ended up listening to most of it.

There is one part of the song "Terra Nova" that, IMHO, may be one of the best surround moments on record - BAR NONE! :eek:

At the end of the song, there is a place where Carly Simon sings a part that goes "Out to the West of Lamber's Cove...." Those of you who know this album will remember that it is a different tune than the rest of the song. Anyway, Carly echoes this verse around and around and around the room like a canyon, sounding like 1000 Carly Simons, yet each one is distinct and well placed. It's amazing that I never noticed this before!

The rest of the disc is mixed well, if you like the lead vocal in the center. The guitars are spread apart quite nicely, and some parts that I thought were one guitar are distinctly two - as in different speakers.

Nathaniel Kunkle is a GENIUS!!! I wish he would do more 5.1.

If you like James Taylor, even a little, you should get this one - esp if it "goes out of print" like the Billy Joels. If it does, this will be HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE, as it is one of JT's best albums.

I had to get this one out and give it a listen, quite glad i did. The music is a 10, and the surround is very good, not quite a 10 , but i had to give a 10 overall. The recording quality is also very good, songs are great, and the arrangements are perfect. A must have, even if you only have it in stereo.

JonUrban said:
"goes out of print" like the Billy Joels

Sorry to be off topic, but - HUH? Where did you find out the BJ titles are OOP? I just saw them both at Best Buy, in the new plastic outer sleeve (not the old custom paper ones). I've been wondering if there are any OOP Hi-Rez titles, and if there's a source to monitor them.

As for the JT disc, well -- sorry, but I'm not too excited over it. I was when I heard it was coming out, but after listening, my reaction can best be described as "Ehhhh."

Didn't know Nathaniel Kunkel mixed. How many friggin' Kunkels are there, anyway? There's Russ, the great session drummer. There's what's-her-name, singing background vocals here on several tracks, most notably Handyman. But in the surround mix she's dialed way back (why would Nate do this to a family member?), which wrecks it for me. BG vocals too low or too hot is one of the most common problems with surround mixes, and I will never understand why. How hard is it to use your ears and get it right?

Other tracks seem mostly undistinguished -- my experience with many JT titles. I'll have to give another listen to the tracks Jon mentions.

Nathaniel Kunkel is Russ Kunkel's son! Leah is his wife (or sister) I think!

Just close your eyes and listen to the very end of Terra Nova and get back to me....

:D

:-jon

Ordered this one from the Sony site sale after seeing the positive comments here and have to say that this is a great sounding disc. Great sonics and mix although the music isn't a 10 for me. All in all, I'll give it a 9 and am real surprised to see someone gave it a 1.

KW

Not a big JT fan, but this is a great LP and a wonderful surround mix.

kumquad

I just was listening to this one the other day and was reminded as to what a great surround mix this classic album has. I had to look again at the poll results as to why it wasn't ranked higher, and then I saw that someone gave it a '1'.

WTF is THAT?????

If this disc is a '1', then QQ has no reason to be on the web................................

If this disc is a '1', then QQ has no reason to be on the web................................

Or whoever rated it a '1' has no business at QQ? :D What the hell, obviously done out of spite, they couldn't have possibly listened to the disc....:mad:@:

As a mix, it's exceptional...but I'm not the fan of the music as others here obviously are. I still think Taylor reached his peak with SWEET BABY JAMES, had some fine moments thereafter, here and there on various albums, but was never that natural or inspired again. His sort or relaxed, laconic pop has its joys, but even his best work isn't very challenging but certainly enjoyable.

ED :)

'JT' was the second SACD I bought.

Great surround mix and one of my all-time favourite albums.

Flag and Hourglass didn't really grab me, I hope this one is better....I see its rated pretty highly...

I've just ordered a copy of this locally....for a reasonable price....can't wait...

Or whoever rated it a '1' has no business at QQ? :D What the hell, obviously done out of spite, they couldn't have possibly listened to the disc....:mad:@:

As a mix, it's exceptional...but I'm not the fan of the music as others here obviously are. I still think Taylor reached his peak with SWEET BABY JAMES, had some fine moments thereafter, here and there on various albums, but was never that natural or inspired again. His sort or relaxed, laconic pop has its joys, but even his best work isn't very challenging but certainly enjoyable.

ED :)

someone called "Frank" according to the Poll Results gave it a "1".. but then I remember some other poll on here for one of the Elton SACDs where a fella gave it a "1" - equally ridiculous!

Flag and Hourglass didn't really grab me, I hope this one is better....I see its rated pretty highly...

I've just ordered a copy of this locally....for a reasonable price....can't wait...
A reasonable price for the Sony, or are you talking about the stereo-only MFSL?

There is one part of the song "Terra Nova" that, IMHO, may be one of the best surround moments on record - BAR NONE! :eek:

At the end of the song, there is a place where Carly Simon sings a part that goes "Out to the West of Lamber's Cove...." Those of you who know this album will remember that it is a different tune than the rest of the song. Anyway, Carly echoes this verse around and around and around the room like a canyon, sounding like 1000 Carly Simons, yet each one is distinct and well placed. It's amazing that I never noticed this before!

The Terra Nova track is great. Love the vocals with Carly....and the Carly "round" part that you mention... very cool.(y)

this is SO vastly superior to the "Flag" SACD, it's like a different artist!

a much more enjoyable album, the surround mix is superb and fidelity fab too!

after one listen through, I'm tempted to give it an 8 or 9, it's that good!

I'll give it a couple more spins before I vote but this is up there with the best M/C SACDs I've heard (so far!)

Back