HiRez Poll Taylor, James - OCTOBER ROAD [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of James Taylor - OCTOBER ROAD

• 9:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

The mixes were average at best. The rears have some reverb and not much else. I hope future releases are better. The remix engineer should listen to the JT album to get a better feeling about how to remix for surround.

It's a very nice recording---clean and clear. It's easy to listen to, but it isn't a surround sound showpiece. Still... It's not bad. It expands upon stereo. Nonetheless, I must admit that I prefer a little more action in the surrounds than this.

This disc was a big disappointment to me when it came out, and I sorta blew it off. I mean, there were some nice tunes on it, but when the surround mix is compared to the other JT SACDs, there is no comparison.

It was almost like they just put this out there with no mix at all, except maybe hall.

However, I was cleaning up some files on an archive hard disc, and I ran across the files I made when I copied this SACD onto my PC for evaluation. I took another look at them and discovered something interesting.

First off, it's a quad mix. There is no center or sub to speak of at all. Look as hard as you like, they're not there.

Second, the surround doesn't have any vocals or harmonies back there, but there are instruments and things back there worth hearing - and that's the problem.

The rear channels are mastered WAY TO LOW!! It's almost like they screwed up. I jacked those babies up, in some cases almost 7db, and low and behold, you end up with a decent if not great surround mix!

If you're a techie, try it! :smokin

The rear channels are mastered WAY TO LOW!! It's almost like they screwed up. I jacked those babies up, in some cases almost 7db, and low and behold, you end up with a decent if not great surround mix!

I have this disc but have not yet heard it in surround. I just wanted to concur with the rear channel levels in general; I've found several discs that have, at calibration level, anemic surround. However, when you adjust the levels up, in some cases many decibels, the rears come alive. This is why I'm not a stickler for playing all of my surround discs at my calibration levels; sometimes I find I get a better experience if I adjust the rears to my liking. Of course, this is dependent on your setup and room.

Thanks for the heads up Jon, now I've gotta give this disc a spin.
Josh

I'll have to give this a go.......... This is the JT SACD I've listened to the least...

This disc was a big disappointment to me when it came out, and I sorta blew it off. I mean, there were some nice tunes on it, but when the surround mix is compared to the other JT SACDs, there is no comparison.

It was almost like they just put this out there with no mix at all, except maybe hall.

However, I was cleaning up some files on an archive hard disc, and I ran across the files I made when I copied this SACD onto my PC for evaluation. I took another look at them and discovered something interesting.

First off, it's a quad mix. There is no center or sub to speak of at all. Look as hard as you like, they're not there.

Second, the surround doesn't have any vocals or harmonies back there, but there are instruments and things back there worth hearing - and that's the problem.

very interesting! it's a Quad mix! Yeay! :D

I'm gonna give it a spin tonight with the rears jacked up! (y)

Love the music and fidelity. The surround mix is discrete and stationary, but the rear channels are mastered too low, as mentioned. Voting as-is, I give it a 6. After raising the rear channels 8-10dB, I'd vote 8.

Back