Quad LP/Tape Poll Taylor, James: One Man Dog [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the CD4/Q8/QR of James Taylor - One Man Dog

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 -

• 8 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Seemingly the result of a bet with someone about how many song titles he could get on to a single LP (correct answer: 18) released in 1972 on Warner Bros Records. Contains the hit Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight.

jt-omd-lp.jpgjamestaylor-onemandog-q8-5.jpgjamestaylor-onemandog-QR-1.jpg

Warner Bros. Records BS4 2660 [CD-4 LP] WB L9B 2660 [Q8] WSTQ 2660-QF [QR]
Discogs links: LP / Q8 / QR
Wiki page for the album: One Man Dog

Side 1:
  1. One Man Parade
  2. Nobody But You
  3. Chili Dog
  4. Fool For You
  5. Instrumental I
  6. New Tune
  7. Back on the Street Again
  8. Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight
Side 2:
  1. Woh, Don't You Know
  2. One Morning in May
  3. Instrumental II
  4. Someone
  5. Hymn
  6. Fanfare
  7. Little David
  8. Mescalito
  9. Dance
  10. Jig

Hello! I have been recently trying to complete my JT collection (I'm oh so close) and I ran across some information about "alternate takes" being included on a Quad release. Aside from that information (James Taylor ??/??/1972) I cannot seem to find any information.

Does anyone know any details about these special tracks ?

Thanks!

JTFan

Hello! I have been recently trying to complete my JT collection (I'm oh so close) and I ran across some information about "alternate takes" being included on a Quad release. Aside from that information (James Taylor ??/??/1972) I cannot seem to find any information.

Does anyone know any details about these special tracks ?

Thanks!

JTFan

Here's the deal with 'One Man Dog'. I spent an afternoon with the Quad Reel and the CD of the title. Here's what I found. The tracks with significant differences I put in bold:

01-One Man Dog (Different Lead Vocal, Longer Fade-Out on the Quad, considerably longer)
02-Nobody But You (Longer Fade on Quad, considerably longer)
03-Chili Dog (Both the Same)
04-Fool For You (Different Lead Vocal)
05-Instrumental I (Quad Fade lasts longer at higher level, but about the same length)
06-New Tune (Both the Same)
07-Back on the Street (Both the Same)
08-Don't Let Me Be Lonely (Both the Same)
09-Woh, Don't You Know (Completely Different Take, Vocal, Time)
10-One Morning in May (Both the Same)
11-Instrumental 2 (Both the Same)
12-Someone (Both the Same)
13-Hymn (Both the Same)
14-Fanfare (Different Vocal Track)
15-Little David (Both the Same)
16-Mescalito (Both the Same)
17-Dance (Both the Same)
18-Jig (Both the Same)

Now, here's a treat for those that can play quad (6ch) files. I am posting a link (for informational purposes only. like they do on YouTube). It's a file with the STEREO version of the title track in the FRONTS, and the front channels of the QUADRAPHONIC reel in the rears. If you play it here, or download it and play it, you can hear James sing the stereo vocal in the fronts while he sings the quad vocals in the rears.

It's pretty closely in sync. It wasn't easy for me to do, so it's not totally perfect, but you can clearly hear the passages where his voice goes up or down on one track while he goes in the opposite direction in the other. Most of the track he stays the same, which is pretty amazing if the entire track is two completely different takes.

You can also hear (or see and watch) the extended fade. In fact, on the CD, the next tune had already started before the fade was over on the quad, thus extending the length of the entire recording, which is duplicated with a few other tracks. That is why the quad version clocks in longer than the stereo.

https://mega.nz/file/7UozGSKa#8dbFLOXmTXWJ0_Te-vSrHQiKTGGeCUWWRjLC0M4woQ8

Bought this on Q8, later on CD-4 & CD.

Though I'm a JT completist, this one never really hit me. Perhaps a bit uneven. Good Quad mix. Decent fidelity, and a couple classics. I bought all JT Quads and 5.1's. Perhaps my least listened to JT surround album. Still, worth owning, for Quad and JT fans.

Back