Tears For Fears first new album since 2004... The Tipping Point!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you interpret those values for those of us who don't know the specific technicalities?
The dynamic range of the stereo mix is heavily compressed, per today's pop music standards.
Pretty sure the surround mix will be more dynamic.

So I found a copy of the CD and this is a bit alarming.

foobar2000 1.6.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Tears For Fears / The Tipping Point
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR5 -0.35 dB -6.67 dB 4:42 01-No Small Thing
DR5 -0.35 dB -7.76 dB 4:13 02-The Tipping Point
DR5 -0.35 dB -7.11 dB 4:32 03-Long, Long, Long Time
DR5 -0.35 dB -8.04 dB 3:56 04-Break The Man
DR5 -0.35 dB -7.21 dB 3:08 05-My Demons
DR5 -0.35 dB -7.93 dB 6:09 06-Rivers Of Mercy
DR6 -0.20 dB -10.91 dB 3:06 07-Please Be Happy
DR6 -0.35 dB -8.03 dB 4:37 08-Master Plan
DR4 -0.32 dB -5.89 dB 3:24 09-End Of Night
DR6 -0.20 dB -9.12 dB 4:37 10-Stay
Number of tracks: 10
Official DR value: DR5
Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 1536 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================
they don't learn, do they?
precisely why I get the LP and not the CD

Okay so it's the DR Value that matters at a glance and DR12 is where we like things. So in this case, DR 5 is hella bad.

Good Dynamic Range numbers start around DR12.
Incorrect. There are countless pop recordings with good dynamics with DRs of less the 12 - particularly in the 8-11 range. The nature of the music itself can significantly impact the overall DR value. Some music doesn’t require a DR of 12 or 14 to be appropriately dynamic. Using a DR of 12 as some sort of a benchmark of good dynamics is totally misusing DR.

Having said that, I don’t think I’ve ever heard a recording with DR‘s like those posted above which I didn’t find fatiguing and viscerally uninvolving. I can’t imagine from the DR‘s posted above that the new Tears For Fears would appeal at all to my ears. Hopefully the vinyl wasn’t cut from the same crushed digital master.

Okay so it's the DR Value that matters at a glance and DR12 is where we like things. So in this case, DR 5 is hella bad.

It means that for the entire album, the average difference between the loudest and quietest passages is only 5 dB. It might sound ok if you're wearing in-ear headphones in a crowded space or on a car stereo while driving on the highway, but on a good listening system it might sound kind of 'lifeless' and fatiguing at high volume. The Wilson surround mixes will definitely be more dynamic.

DR5 is not good. It likely indicates:

1) the mix itself lacks dynamics and/or
2) heavy peak limiting was used in mastering and/or
3) heavy compression was used in mastering and/or
4) the bottom end was boosted

I thought this thread was about the SDE Blu-Ray Audio disc….. here we go again off topic.
Fair enough.

But it’s not that far afield and it’s to forget what the actual topic is when, like this, it’s still somewhat closely related.

I await the CD with trepidation then. Target says my copy will "ship soon" lol

Unfortunately as I look at DR numbers every day, 5's, 6's, 7's are pretty par for the course with any close to rock CD's. Definitely ALL metal those numbers are normal.
Sometimes with an accompanying Blu Ray or DVD, they only go up to 9's and 10's. Lets hope with Steven he will not have compressed it so much and we can see 12's and 13's?
Which begs a question for me, does a highly compressed CD have rules by the people in charge that the other accompany versions have to stay with the same criteria, I have no idea?

that's some of the lowest DR I've ever seen 😱
My lowest is Ozzy Osbourne's Ordinary Man (it was in a bunch of CD's from a garage sale....really!) which is DR3 but there are plenty of even lower ones on the DR Loudness War Database

I just streamed the stereo and it didn't sound that bad over a pair of decent headphones, maybe with the exception of "End Of Night" which seemed pretty harsh at the beginning. Anyone else getting "Woman In Chains" vibes from "Rivers Of Mercy"?

I listened to the album like three times on Apple Music on my Mac using computer speakers and it sounded fine. Then I've been listening to it since on my AirPods (on repeat) but that doesn't count cuz it's Atmos binaural on those. Either way, it sounds similar. I don't feel like there's huge differences when listening casually.

I just streamed the stereo and it didn't sound that bad over a pair of decent headphones, maybe with the exception of "End Of Night" which seemed pretty harsh at the beginning. Anyone else getting "Woman In Chains" vibes from "Rivers Of Mercy"?
Ha! I was listening to this on my ride home today and the guitar definitely sounds similar to "Woman In Chains", especially halfway onwards. "My Demons" has an similarity to Portugal.The Man's "Live in the Moment" as well to me. All in all, a pretty eclectic album. It's a little fatiguing to listen to, but it isn't so bad for a car ride or casually on my phone.

Back