Tears For Fears first new album since 2004... The Tipping Point!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Related to Tears For Fears, I think it's weird that the 2014 Mix of Songs From The Big Chair is not on streaming. Or that the 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson for that album and Seeds Of Love are not on streaming as Dolby Audio. Record label and management should get on this!

Based on what's come out thus far, it seems like Sony and Universal (who were behind the deluxe editions of Big Chair and Seeds) have different release strategies when it comes to immersive streaming. Sony appears to be exploiting their vast back-catalog of 5.1 and '70s quad mixes for Dolby Audio, whereas all the Universal releases have been brand-new Atmos remixes created for super deluxe editions (Kiss, The Band, etc) or specifically for the streaming services (Tom Petty, Pearl Jam, etc).

I'm not why Universal isn't interested in dumping all their old 5.1 and quad stuff onto Apple Music like Sony has been - in fact, it wouldn't surprise me all that much if they end up contracting SW to remix both those albums in Atmos at a later date as was done for King Crimson's debut LP.

The actual mix work is already done (editing, volume automation, EQ, reverb, etc), all he'd need to do is revisit his Logic DAW sessions and break some elements out into objects. He basically stated as much in a recent interview:
“I always start with a 5.1 mix and that becomes the bed of my Atmos mix,” he continues. “At that point, I listen and think, ‘That sound in the rear speakers would be great coming out of the side speakers.’ I’ll take that out of the bed, assign it to a stereo Atmos object, and place it. I understand that it’s partly because I have this institutional history of doing things in 5.1. If I was starting from scratch, I would probably get into the business of making my bed 7.1, because that’s what Atmos is supposed to be.”

It would be fine to get those 5.1 mixes updated to Atmos by Steven Wilson and put on Apple Music. I've had all my TFF on shuffle lately and I keep coming back to Elemental in surround. God, that album would be insane in Atmos. I think the next two surround mixes should be The Hurting and Elemental.

This is the highest rated surround poll on QQ right now. Is the blu ray really worth it? I’m not a massive Tears for Fears fan but I like some of the hits. It would be 50 dollars shipped to Canada but if it really is amazing I wouldn’t want to miss out. I don’t have the capability to stream the Apple Music version.

This is the highest rated surround poll on QQ right now. Is the blu ray really worth it? I’m not a massive Tears for Fears fan but I like some of the hits. It would be 50 dollars shipped to Canada but if it really is amazing I wouldn’t want to miss out. I don’t have the capability to stream the Apple Music version.
There's no accounting for taste (the entire album is available to sample on YouTube), but I'd say the 5.1 mix really is that good.

GOOD. I am glad for those that did not get it, and feel sorry for those that spend the insane $$ on the eBay market for the originals. In my book, the more surround out there the better. I don't give a rats behind about limited editions, Heck, I see limited edition Oreo's in the stores these days, who cares?

Limited Edition is just a marketing phrase. The real rare stuff is what comes out in the normal manner, gets dumped or forgotten, then rediscovered years later. Making collectables on purpose rarely works, and it only works at the time they originally appear.

GOOD. I am glad for those that did not get it, and feel sorry for those that spend the insane $$ on the eBay market for the originals. In my book, the more surround out there the better. I don't give a rats behind about limited editions, Heck, I see limited edition Oreo's in the stores these days, who cares?

Limited Edition is just a marketing phrase. The real rare stuff is what comes out in the normal manner, gets dumped or forgotten, then rediscovered years later. Making collectables on purpose rarely works, and it only works at the time they originally appear.
Can you say “Jethro Tull”?!

There's no accounting for taste (the entire album is available to sample on YouTube), but I'd say the 5.1 mix really is that good.

I second that. If you like the song writing of where Tears for Fears are at now then it is totally worth it as fantastic fidelity and Steven Wilson has done another stellar surround treatment of a band he appreciates and I am thankful that this even came about, kudos to Paul Sinclair,Steven Wilson,Tears For Fears to make this possible.

Back