Tears for Fears-Songs From The Big Chair - HiRez 5.1!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't heard this one yet but comparisons to the "Legend" disc is a tough fight for sure!

To each his own. There is the element of your own preferences to reinforce or overcome. There is also the factor of surprise and delight because none of us saw this one coming. All of this plays into the voting.

As for the vocals, they do not seem buried to me. I played this album on DVD-A last night as the Blu Ray hasn't arrived yet.

From QQ HQ

My vocals are fine...with the exception of SHOUT and I can't say they are "buried"...they are just "congested" along with the other sounds....I think individual audio systems will handle it differently and either increase or decrease one's ability to hear the vocals...and I'm sure those folks will say that other discs don't have this problem on their systems...and I'm sure they are right about that....

I would agree that Shout is different from the rest in the sense that the vocals are competing with elements in that track. Not that many moving pieces perhaps but they do occupy space in the mix.

I experienced absolutely no problems with any of the songs on my BD. It may be one's own system, ears and room that is most likely causing the problem of why everyone is not hearing "Shout" or any of the other songs (or, other surround discs) in the same manner.

There are multiple choices of audio across the two mixes and these depend on whether you're accessing the DVD-A Layer or the DVD-V Layer. They are as follows:

DVD-A

2014 Mix

MLP 5.1 96/24
DTS 5.1 96/24 (1536kbps)
MLP 2.0 96/24

1985 Mix

MLP 2.0 96/24

DVD-V

2014 Mix

DTS 5.1 96/24 (1536kbps)
Dolby Digital 48/24 (448kbps)
PCM 2.0 96/24

1985 Mix

PCM 2.0 96/24

So, what are the contents of the Blu-ray disk?

I must add that playing the DVDA in the Acura last night that I needed to put the Center up two increments to get the vocal balance to my liking.

From QQ HQ

With regards to the Super Deluxe Edition ...

Is the UK version different from US?
I'm in the US where it's $100, but from UK it's under $60.

Also -- an Amazon review states that the version of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" found in the set is the Urban Mix released in the UK, NOT the "very different and superior" Extended Mix released on 12" in the US in March 1985. Is this true for all editions, including BRD?

With regards to the Super Deluxe Edition ...

Is the UK version different from US?
I'm in the US where it's $100, but from UK it's under $60.

Also -- an Amazon review states that the version of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" found in the set is the Urban Mix released in the UK, NOT the "very different and superior" Extended Mix released on 12" in the US in March 1985. Is this true for all editions, including BRD?

To the best of my knowledge, all box sets are identical, irrespective of territory.

With regards to EWTRTW, the CD/DVD-A box set contains the following versions...

Album Version (4m 12s) ('85 mix on CD and DVD-A, '85 & '14 stereo and '14 5.1 mixes on DVD-A only)
Single Version (4m 13s) (CD Only)
Extended Version (5m 41s) (CD Only)
Urban Mix (6m 02s) (CD Only)
Instrumental (4m 23s) (CD Only)
Live at Massey Hall (4m 19s) (CD Only)
Alternate Single Version (4m 23s) (CD Only)

The Blu Ray contains the album mix only, albeit in three different forms ('85 Stereo mix, '14 Stereo mix and '14 5.1 mix)

I think that's accurate, but it's Monday morning and I'm only on my 3rd coffee ;)

Of the three new discs I've received, Reckless, Drums and Wires and Songs From the Big Chair, Songs is my fave album but my least fave 5.1 mix. That's not to say I don't like it, I just find the other 5.1 mixes (and Legend too) more natural sounding. Nigel sounds so good in 5.1, completely defies it's release year.

This is not a criticism of any reviewer but I have a hard time understanding why people buy any title that they don't like the music and think adding a surround mix is somehow going to change that feeling...you either like the music or you don't...I've never had a surround mix make me like music I didn't like earlier...I guess it's possible...but it's never happened to me...

I'm with Clint Eastwood in that I won't purchase music that I'm not a fan of just because there's a surround mix available. I guess the ol' saying, "You can't polish a turd" holds true, however subjective that may be.

I have purchased surround mixes of music that I thought were just OK, only to become more of a fan of that particular music though. The high fidelity and the surround mix allowed me to hear it properly for the first time and that lead me to like it more. However, I wouldn't have purchased the music if it was below the threshold of what I consider to be "OK".

This is not a criticism of any reviewer but I have a hard time understanding why people buy any title that they don't like the music and think adding a surround mix is somehow going to change that feeling...you either like the music or you don't...I've never had a surround mix make me like music I didn't like earlier...I guess it's possible...but it's never happened to me...

It's happened to me on many an occasion that I bought an album simply because it was in 5.1 even though I would not normally buy that artist in stereo and ended up converted.
I am not sure if this counts as "music I did not like earlier" or maybe "music I simply would never have bought if it were only in stereo" and I also don't know where the dividing line between the 2 is - but it can & does happen.

Well I'm going to think twice before I do it again! The reasons I bought it were -

- to support the 5.1 cause,
- the reviews on here of the sound quality were so good, I thought I've got to get this one,
- to see if I could make my wife appreciate surround more. She likes the band's music more than I, back in the 80's it was the girls who liked the Tears for Fears, Duran Durans, Spandau Ballets of this world.

I think I agree with Neil Wilkes here. I wouldn't buy a disc of something that I really disliked, but I may buy a surround disc where I would not normally buy that artist in stereo if the reviews of the sound of that 5.1 were enough to tempt me and the price wasn't too great. (I actually got the Tears for Fears blu ray from HD Wow for £10, which at that price I thought it was worth a punt) An example for me would be Elton John. I've never disliked his music, but I never liked it enough to actually buy anything by him. However, since I got on this great surround train of ours I have been buying the EJ surround discs and I love them and I'm now a fan of the music.

What I think I struggle with is 80s music and the (in my opinion) dated production/synths/synth drums/sounds of much of this decade's product. I got Songs from the Big Chair hoping that the surround mix would help with my 80's phobia, but unfortunately it didn't.

Back