Tears for Fears-Songs From The Big Chair - HiRez 5.1!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'd love more 80s stuff in surround, but I'd like the placement to be more adventurous.

Yes, I'd love more 80s stuff in surround, but I'd like the placement to be more adventurous.

My question to you is how can SW make surround mix placements more adventurous without compromising the original sound and intent of the stereo mix? I think his instinct and approach is usually the right one, and very rarely do I feel like he can be more adventurous without comprising the original sound and intent. Plus there's always the artist approval factor which can affect how adventurous he can really be.

Too bad we cant have a choice of mixes like Monster music offered on some of their releases. A normal mix then something completely wild etc assuming the artist would allow it.

My question to you is how can SW make surround mix placements more adventurous without compromising the original sound and intent of the stereo mix? I think his instinct and approach is usually the right one, and very rarely do I feel like he can be more adventurous without comprising the original sound and intent. Plus there's always the artist approval factor which can affect how adventurous he can really be.

But the stereo mix is the stereo mix. Why would it be the same? There's probably several surround mixes you really like that don't take this approach, even though they may still retain the main feel of the track. In fact one album that really does lose the original feel in places: R.E.M.'s Green, you rated a 10. :)

Otherwise it's along the lines of:
"Hey you love The White Album? You've got to check out the mono mix too!"
- "Wow, really? How does it sound?"
"Almost identical, and exactly how you'd expect."
- "Nice!"

Personally, I tend to prefer surround mixes that respect the feel - in that I include the general perceived level of parts - of the original, but it has been done using other approaches which I find far more beguiling than Songs... Mind you I like a few surprises as well but careful with that reverb, Eugene.

i saw this posted today on the TEARS FOR FEARS Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TearsForFearsgroup

Just wanted to share a little bit of news that came my way' I recieved an email from Paul. S (superdeluxeedition) about the status of the Seeds of Love box set' it is due out in the autum if all still goes to plan. He has finished all the work for the booklet that accompanies it' and said he has interviewed all the "Main Players"..... Roland and Curt' Oleta Adams and Nicky Holland as well as Chris Hughes Dave Bascombe and A&R man Dave Bates' he also told me that we as TFF fans are going to be "very very pleased"....

The interviews could be very interesting: it was such a difficult album for them to make.

Are all the BD-A the same set or is there one thats better to look for?

There's only one Blu-Ray audio edition of this album: https://www.discogs.com/Tears-For-Fears-Songs-From-The-Big-Chair/release/6324313
There is a box set edition that contains a DVD-A/V disc: https://www.discogs.com/Tears-For-Fears-Songs-From-The-Big-Chair/release/6278001

But the DVD-A/V disc has the exact same contents as the Blu-Ray: Original Stereo Mix, New Stereo Mix, and 5.1 Surround Mix (All In High-Res)
Hope that helps you out! :)

Obviously late to the party on this one. Can anyone who owns the standalone bluray please tell me if it is region encoded or are any of the bluray audio discs for that matter? I've bought a few and not had a problem but just checking before I try to source it on the web

Been on the search for the Blu-Ray audio disc for awhile and they are nowhere. Was this a very limited print?

Took about 5 years for this Blu-Ray issue to be hard to acquire, was still in the low $20 range last I knew. The only decent prices are the always unofficial copy's from unscrupulous individuals. Can now add this to the list of copied titles along with the Pink Floyds, Queen, Elton John Blu Ray audios. Seems like I'm missing a couple 🤔

Back