HiRez Poll Tears For Fears - THE SEEDS OF LOVE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Tears for Fears - THE SEEDS OF LOVE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Seems like I'm giving entirely too many 9s lately, but I don't buy things that get lousy reviews here. As far as the music goes, I dunno, I'm not the biggest Tears for Fears fan, so it's pretty good to these ears, but no more than that. Some great songs, the rest are above average I guess. It could grow on me more with repeated playing of course. I recently picked up The Tipping Point, so thought I'd get this one too. The 5.1 mix isn't quite as good, but the music may be better. That's the best I can articulate it right now since both albums are new to me.

Just realized I never voted in the poll for this one.
This is truly beyond brilliant, an absolute 10! Particularly the song 'Sowing The Seeds of Love '.
I'd never heard this album before getting this box set. I don't know how but somehow, back in the day, I either never did or just don't remember it.
I got this out again today for a listen after watching a music reaction video of it on YouTube.
This sounded good on youtube but the 5.1 mix is so much better. The way the sounds & instruments are separated, the fidelity. What a pleasure to hear!
Thank you to all involved who made this jewel possible!☺️

Last edited:
Can't believe I didn't vote on this one already.

Pretty easy "10". SW's surround mix is typically excellent. "Sowing The Seeds of Love" I find to be slightly muddy sounding, but this was such a dense recording to begin with. Not enough of a dealbreaker for me to knock off a point for, however. Beyond that, the fidelity of this album was always state of the art.

"Woman In Chains" alone makes up for anything I might find lacking on any other tracks. Stunning mix and fidelity. And, of course, Oleta Adams.

The songs on Side 2 I always thought were not as strong as Side 1 or anything on the first two albums, but again, not enough for me to knock a point off. And the Side 1 tracks are all stone cold classics, IMO.

And the packaging, booklet, just about every bonus track imaginable, etc makes this a complete set well worth the price.

Another home run by SW on the 3rd album by one of the best bands (or whatever you want to call them) of the 80s.

Perhaps it'll take an Atmos mix to finally unpack that one ;)
Like others have said here, I think it was also an expectation thing. We waited literally YEARS for this mix to get released and I was expecting this track to be one of the greatest surround mixes of all time that I could use to blow away and impress my friends. Instead, SW delivered just a very-good one. So I was a bit disappointed with it.

But I do understand he had some unique challenges with this album.

Oh well...I've always got "Psurroundabout Ride" when I want to hear SW get all psychedelic and crazy. :)

Well, it would be perfect if they had the original vocal takes for "Sowing The Seeds Of Love."

Very excited for that. And I will add my review to that thread when it comes out.

Why only a 8 ?
The music is brilliant, the mixing is stratospheric, the clarity is awesome. You have a real space growing, instead of a rear stereo ans a front stereo we have too often.

Well ONE thing makes me cringe, and I can't go beyond.
On Woman In Chains : All the lead vocals and snare being slightly off center toward left (between 11 o'clock and 11:30). WHich of course doesn happen in the original stereo.
On Sowing, the same, except only vocals are off center. The snare is perfectly centered.

I don't get it, and unfortunately, it keeps distracting me.

Otherwise, it is as, everyone said, what a great multichannel mix should be.

Last edited:
Well ONE thing makes me cringe, and I can't go beyond.
On Woman In Chains : All the lead vocals and snare being slightly off center toward left (between 11 o'clock and 11:30). WHich of course doesn happen in the original stereo.
On Sowing, the same, except only vocals are off center. The snare is perfectly centered.
I havent noticed those issues. I’ll have to listen to this again sometime. If I hear the same thing, it will drive me bat sh!t crazy. :eek:

These are the only tracks for me with that, and the same happens on the 5.1 DTS-HD sound track and on the 5.1 LPCM.
Stereo tracks are as expected.

If I mute the center channel and listen just to the fronts on this track, pretty much all the dry vocal sound goes away. All that's left of the vocal signal is a stereo reverb that feels pretty evenly distributed across both front speakers. That said, starting at around 3:30 ("well I feel...") Oleta Adams' voice is present in both the front left and center speakers while Roland Orzabal's remains solely in the center. Perhaps this is what you're referring to? I think it was an intentional choice to help the listener better distinguish between the two vocalists when they're singing in unison, it sounds fine to me.
On this one, the dry vocal is repeated in the front 'phantom' center at significantly lower volume versus the center speaker. The only off-center vocals I hear in the front channels are the processed backing vocal bits that go "sowing the seeds" during the chorus, which are panned mostly to the right channel as in the stereo mix.

Back