HiRez Poll Tears For Fears - THE TIPPING POINT [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Tears for Fears - THE TIPPING POINT

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2022 release from the band Tears For Fears entitled "The Tipping Point", their first new studio album since 2004!
The album was mixed in both 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos by Steven Wilson and sold as an exclusive Blu-Ray Audio disc via superdeluxeedition.com and their web store.
Limited to 2000 copies, the Blu-Ray Audio disc is now sold out. However, the Dolby Atmos mix is available to stream via all Dolby Atmos streaming providers.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-tipping-point/1586912660
(y) :) (n)

600_pack_label_bg.jpg

(front and back scans of the blu-ray audio disc will follow at a later date)

Last edited:
Musically and lyrically terrific. Very catchy tunes. Excellent mix. I listened to it, two times in a row! I think Marillion's new album might get lost in the shuffle for me because I am really digging this and I am much much more of a Marillion fan. I gave it a 10. I enjoy both the dts 5.1 and Dolby Atmos mix.

This is a fantastic album. Short, but improves on repeat listens. Musically, it's just so much raw emotion I couldn't help tearing up at times, especially during "Long, Long, Long Time", "Rivers of Mercy", and "Please Be Happy". I think the feeling I was getting was "Melancholic Euphoria". Sad, but also triumphant and hopeful.

The mix sets a new bar for Atmos music. I'll bet Steven Wilson was overjoyed to mix this; I could almost imagine him making this album in an alternate universe. It shares a lot of similarities, sonically, with "The Future Bites". I also enjoyed the DTS mix, which is quite similar to the Atmos mix, perhaps a little more discrete, although I would have liked to see LPCM, and a hi-res stereo version would have been appreciated. That's all small stuff though, and I'm looking forward to many more listens of this. A 10 for me.

I gave this one a 10 - based on the DTS 5.1 mix (I haven't got an Atmos setup). Fantastic mix, the clarity and dynamics are truly demo-worthy. There were a couple of songs (not having the track-list on hand at the time, I'm not sure which they were) that were just going along and then BAM! The chorus seems to kick in at a solid 5dB or so louder than the verse. I also recommend playing this at a more moderate-to-high volume. Really looking forward to a second listen through. Well done, again, SW!

This is a definite 10 for me. It would be a 10 if the only two songs on the album were Break the Man and The Tipping Point. I predict this album will be number one in the surround poll here fairly soon - at least for a while. I'll probably have more to say after a few more listenings. I've only heard it in 5.1 mix so far and I'm hoping to get my Atmos speakers working soon.

Last edited:
For me, The Tipping Point blu-ray with Atmos mix is a solid 10. Content is fantastic, Tears For Fears has been one of my favorite bands for decades (got that original Songs From The Big Chair vinyl when I was 12. First album ever.) so it's no surprise that I love the songs and production. Tears For Fears has consistently always put out only great albums. I give this a 10 for content. The surround mix is most definitely a 10 as well. It's one of the best surround mixes of rock music I've ever heard and will easily become a demo disc for me. Steven Wilson has outdone himself on this one. The packaging and disc menus are simple, yet effective. Easy to use.

Overall, a flawless release and one I am very lucky to have snagged. Looks so nice on the shelf next to my blu-ray of Songs From The Big Chair!

The surround mix is great, but I was even more impressed that Tears for Fears put out such a great album after so many years. I've listened to this in regular surround as I don't have an atmos setup (that needs to change!). The songs are very catchy and I truly felt like I was listening to something they may have recorded decades ago.

I honestly don’t think this band could have made a better album at this point in their career, and Steven Wilson’s surround mix suits it perfectly.
I REALLY enjoy listening to this.
I honestly hope SDE, the band and/or the label see fit to increase the release of the Blu-Ray - more people should be able to experience this!
10 from me.
Such a pleasant surprise 👍🏼

Hearing at 5.1 dts.
I play directly "Long Long time". Have a good distribution in the quiet parts. Can hear the second voice at rear right. The chorus the instruments spread for all channels and some voices.

After that played the full album.
Very enjoyable and a very clean sound.
Other one that play with the ambient keyboads is "break the man". And also the double voices at rear and even other voice that i didnt appreciate on stereo mix.
Thanks Mr Wilson.

Outstanding surround mixes. But as a product, it falls short of a 10 due to the lack of a hi-res Stereo mix, and the basic "screensaver' video content. I save my 10's for releases like Gentle Giant's "Free Hand" which has killer video content as well as top shelf Surround and Stereo mixes. Maybe that one should be an 11. ;)

Outstanding surround mixes. But as a product, it falls short of a 10 due to the lack of a hi-res Stereo mix, and the basic "screensaver' video content. I save my 10's for releases like Gentle Giant's "Free Hand" which has killer video content as well as top shelf Surround and Stereo mixes. Maybe that one should be an 11. ;)
Different strokes for different folks I suppose…if I have a disc that offers a good surround mix as well as a stereo mix, the stereo mix will never be listened to…so this disc has no shortcomings for me 😜

Could get a hold of the Pure Audio release and really enjoy it.

Contents: 9
Surround mix: 9
Fidelity: 9
Overall score: 9

When I listened to it the first time on Apple Music, I liked it, but the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix makes me really enjoy the album.
Do not have a Dolly Atmos setup, so cannot judge on that, but the fact that it is present is a big plus.
A bit strange that it is not 96kHz.
And I really do not understand the limited availability, as if it where a Rolex or as if they do not really want to sell it (off topic, but had to mention it).

I'll echo the praise for the album itself, and the placement of each instrument in the surround field is pretty much perfect to my ears - there’s so many cool details, like the chorus vocals in “Rivers Of Mercy” starting off only on the left side and gradually filling the entire listening space, the multi-tracked vocals split into different speakers throughout "Break The Man", or the synths zooming all around the room in “My Demons” - but does anyone else think the low-end response is a bit underwhelming? I listened to this back-to-back with Wilson's The Future Bites (which feels like a fair comparison to me, as it's also mostly digital instrumentation) and the difference is not subtle.

I found there to be an odd lack of ‘punch’ at some key moments, like when the drums kick in about a minute into the title track or when the guitar comes in at around 0:48 in “Rivers Of Mercy”. “My Demons” and “End Of Night” seem just right to me in terms of bass response, whereas all the other songs fall short of that standard by varying degrees. Lack of bass isn't really something I've noticed before with any of Wilson's surround mixes (in fact, his To The Bone and The Future Bites albums are reference discs for me in terms of low-end response), which makes me wonder if the issue was somehow baked into the stems he was provided. So I decided to knock off one point, after all a "9" is nothing to sneeze at.

I have always found that bass response is the audio thing that has the most variables in our systems/rooms.
There is some serious sub-bass in this album, if we're talking low-end, at least the versions I worked on. I doubt the band asked for reduced sub-bass afterwards, but I guess it's possible (I haven't heard the Blu-Ray, having been unable to secure a copy! :LOL: ).

I'll echo the praise for the album itself, and the placement of each instrument in the surround field is pretty much perfect to my ears - there’s so many cool details, like the chorus vocals in “Rivers Of Mercy” starting off only on the left side and gradually filling the entire listening space, the multi-tracked vocals split into different speakers throughout "Break The Man", or the synths zooming all around the room in “My Demons” - but does anyone else think the low-end response is a bit underwhelming? I listened to this back-to-back with Wilson's The Future Bites (which feels like a fair comparison to me, as it's also mostly digital instrumentation) and the difference is not subtle.

I found there to be an odd lack of ‘punch’ at some key moments, like when the drums kick in about a minute into the title track or when the guitar comes in at around 0:48 in “Rivers Of Mercy”. “My Demons” and “End Of Night” seem just right to me in terms of bass response, whereas all the other songs fall short of that standard by varying degrees. Lack of bass isn't really something I've noticed before with any of Wilson's surround mixes (in fact, his To The Bone and The Future Bites albums are reference discs for me in terms of low-end response), which makes me wonder if the issue was somehow baked into the stems he was provided. So I decided to knock off one point, after all a "9" is nothing to sneeze at.
I listened to this again today and I do not feel there is lack of bass on this BD. In fact on some tracks I feel it's a little to much. I think the mix and fidelity is up there with the best and after several listens the music has grown on me too. 9.

Back