• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter

marcb

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I just got my copy and find it not much higher res than a standard CD. It's surprising that it was recorded at only 44.1/24 bit (why bother putting it on Blu Ray?). The surround mix helps and the concept and songs were very promising . . .
You’re putting way too much weight on the sample rate and way too little weight on the bit depth. 16 bit to 24 bit is an appreciable, real change. 44.1 to 48 or even 96? Not so much.

Lord British

They seem to have some copies available. Just ordered! 38$ shipped to the US.

JulesRules

I agree; I think the consensus is that the stereo mix is good but problematic at best, and the only "real" way to listen to this is in 5.1 or Atmos.
Interesting comment on this in that excellent Steven Wilson interview by @sjcorne already linked over several threads here:
Since it was a new record, I felt I had license to do things a bit differently. There was a track called “End Of Night” that I felt was too cluttered. So I took a few things out, and Roland agreed that the original mix was a bit congested. I figured if he felt that way, then I’m going to be a bit more revisionist. I replaced some of the reverbs with spring reverbs, to try and get the track a bit more organic-sounding. I was definitely more bold with that project, in a way I wouldn’t have been if this was a song that's been out there for years already.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Detailed review, built primarily around "technical and qualitative analysis" of all formats, at the French "MagicVinylDigital" blog:
(Note to @HomerJAU: is something like "Spatialization" a category we might use for the Atmos streaming review site?)

Last edited: