HiRez Poll Tears For Fears - THE TIPPING POINT [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Tears for Fears - THE TIPPING POINT

• Total voters
I'll echo the praise for the album itself, and the placement of each instrument in the surround field is pretty much perfect to my ears - there’s so many cool details, like the chorus vocals in “Rivers Of Mercy” starting off only on the left side and gradually filling the entire listening space, the multi-tracked vocals split into different speakers throughout "Break The Man", or the synths zooming all around the room in “My Demons” - but does anyone else think the low-end response is a bit underwhelming? I listened to this back-to-back with Wilson's The Future Bites (which feels like a fair comparison to me, as it's also mostly digital instrumentation) and the difference is not subtle.

I found there to be an odd lack of ‘punch’ at some key moments, like when the drums kick in about a minute into the title track or when the guitar comes in at around 0:48 in “Rivers Of Mercy”. “My Demons” and “End Of Night” seem just right to me in terms of bass response, whereas all the other songs fall short of that standard by varying degrees. Lack of bass isn't really something I've noticed before with any of Wilson's surround mixes (in fact, his To The Bone and The Future Bites albums are reference discs for me in terms of low-end response), which makes me wonder if the issue was somehow baked into the stems he was provided. So I decided to knock off one point, after all a "9" is nothing to sneeze at.
I believe maybe Jonathan’s concern is, as he said “Punch” which to me is different than just plain ol’ bass. After all he did mention guitars also. (*edit perhaps just a marker point with the guitar reference.) Because I’ve only had a chance to listen to this once so far, but was thinking, great mix but the overall sound isn’t hitting me with the definition I’d like; so next time I need to crank it up more, and hopefully it will get that “punch” to blossom and reveal itself.

*edit again...Also could be just a lighter, cleaner sound they were going for.

If I’m all wet here, just ignore this old muttering mutt, I won’t take offense.

Last edited:
I believe maybe Jonathan’s concern is, as he said “Punch” which to me is different than just plain ol’ bass. After all he did mention guitars also. Because I’ve only had a chance to listen to this once so far, but was thinking, great mix but the overall sound isn’t hitting me with the definition I’d like; so next time I need to crank it up more, and hopefully it will get that “punch” to blossom and reveal itself.

If I’m all wet here, just ignore this old muttering mutt, I won’t take offense.
He mentioned lack of bass, and that's what I reacted to as it's not the case here in my setup.

Fabulous mix on a really great album. Excellent fidelity on my set-up, beautifully balanced. No lack of bass. Both my subwoofers were delivering nicely. Superb. Easiest 10 I've awarded. For me, worth the eye-watering price I had to fork out on Discogs - but I really hope that SDE do a new run, for the benefit of everyone else saddled with the appalling, brickwalled CD.

Lack of bass isn't really something I've noticed before with any of Wilson's surround mixes (in fact, his To The Bone and The Future Bites albums are reference discs for me in terms of low-end response), which makes me wonder if the issue was somehow baked into the stems he was provided.
I couldn't possibly comment but something the band mentioned was that they always have to take bass off during mastering... that is consistent with how most of their original CDs sounded, and especially the live videos (In My Mind's Eye and Going to California), which have a quite bass-heavy mix.

Also bringing this up because, as everyone here probably knows, the preorder period for the repress ends in a day.

I've not participated in a poll on here (I'm somewhat new-ish) but this album moved me give it a 10 - especially after a lot of frustration and disappointment. I use a laptop to play all of my surround discs, etc. and I got this one on the day that I also begrudgingly upgraded the laptop to Windows 11 (I am frequently annoyed with and disappointed with updates of Windows, iPhones, iPads and even itunes itself). For a couple of weeks I've been listening to it and felt like it was nothing more than what my receiver could give me with one of the simulated surround settings. Seeing the high ratings on here confused me so I decided to look at the output signals and noticed the center speaker looking like it was focused on vocals. Yet when I was listening and there was visually no signal being sent to the center channel, I was still hearing tons of music. I fought with my receiver, I fought with my receiver's app, I scrolled through the many surround settings and then realized it was the usual culprit: Windows 11 upgrade. It decided to take my 7.2 settings and reset it back 2 front left and front right. So in essence, I WAS listening to simulated surround. And have been for 2 weeks of underwhelming listening experiences. Wow, did I digress there - sorry.
I'm now going to listen to it for the third time in a row, realizing THIS is what I always expected from surround sound music. Even my wife, who shrugs at my insisting she be impressed, sat through the first 2 listens, muttering 'wow' and looking around at all of the sounds she was hearing.
This experience has taught me 2 things for me personally.
1: Never doubt the greatness of Steven Wilson
2: No more updating apps and operating systems.

This was the first album I put on after upgrading to 5.1.4 and my jaw dropped more than once, the height speakers add a lot more to the overall surround presentation than I was expecting. This isn't just the 5.1 mix at ground level with reverb/delay and a few directional sounds redirected to the top, the positioning of each element in the 3-D space is quite intricate and he's not afraid to put important elements solely in the heights. There are still some aspects of the dedicated 5.1 mix that I prefer, but it actually sounds kind of small in comparison.

"My Demons" in particular is a real showcase for Atmos, almost all the backing vocals emanate from the height speakers. There are passages in that song with what sounds like different 360-degree pans happening at ground level (guitar) and in the heights (keys) simultaneously. The ambient war sounds in "Rivers Of Mercy" come from above, as do the synths in "End Of Night". I still wish the low-end a bit more powerful though, that may be the one nod I'd give the stereo over either SW surround mix.

My Demons" in particular is a real showcase for Atmos, almost all the backing vocals emanate from the height speakers. There are passages in that song with what sounds like different 360-degree pans happening at ground level (guitar) and in the heights (keys) simultaneously. The ambient war sounds in "Rivers Of Mercy" come from above, as do the synths in "End Of Night". I still wish the low-end a bit more powerful though, that may be the one nod I'd give the stereo over either SW surround mix.

I agree, one thing I'm liking about Atmos is finding better placement for backing vocals. SW used to put them in the rears always (especially during PT era), but now there is a lot more flexibility.

I thought Tears for Fears set the standard for “old band doing new album” 17 years (!) ago with “Everyone Loves A Happy Ending”, but this probably tops it. Sounds more like the “old” sound. (Not that that is a plus or minus in my book. Just something to note).

The mix here is outstanding. I don’t have Atmos but the 5.1 is excellent. So glad Steven Wilson mixes for these guys. Hope he does the other albums eventually.

Easy “10”. My new favorite album by one of my very favorite old bands. :)

I thought Tears for Fears set the standard for “old band doing new album” 17 years (!) ago with “Everyone Loves A Happy Ending”, but this probably tops it. Sounds more like the “old” sound. (Not that that is a plus or minus in my book. Just something to note).

The mix here is outstanding. I don’t have Atmos but the 5.1 is excellent. So glad Steven Wilson mixes for these guys. Hope he does the other albums eventually.

Easy “10”. My new favorite album by one of my very favorite old bands. :)
And, oh, man, if only SW did ELAHE in MCH!

This is the first Dolby Atmos MUSIC disc that I can really appreciate the Atmos height speakers. Discrete instruments used through out in the Atmos height speakers. I admit I only have a few Atmos mixes for music but this is the first Atmos mix that really stood out to me. I switched between DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby Atmos and didn’t find much difference in bass levels between surround mixes. Some of you guys are much better at describing differences in mixes / Bass levels than I am so JMHO. Great surround mixes from Steven Wilson. I vote a 10.

No Tears here.

I received one of the second pressings.
Truly, where would we be in our quest for the ultimate surround mix, if it wasn't for our saviour Mr Wilson.
His expertise just grows with every release he's asked to work his magic on.

The songs and the music are wonderful.

This duo have not lost their touch, when it comes to releasing well crafted and thoughtful music.

It's worth far more than 10!!

Just got this disc on the 2nd go round. I use 4 large speakers (no sub) with center channel. I listened to the DTS 5.1 3 straight times in a row. Why? Because I just couldn't take it out of the player. Folks, that's a "10" anyway you look at it no doubt. I'm glad I bought it.

Easy 10. Although I'm pretty generous with the 10s, this is a reference disk for me. It has the all the clarity and fidelity of modern production, plus the space within the music to work with all those weird sound effects going on. That space allows somebody who maybe isn't a big surround sound guy to take notice of the surround mix more easily and appreciate it. Great balance, as always, from SW. It's almost like the music was crafted with the surround experience in mind.

What can I say that hasn’t already been said? 10, no question. On my first listen “Rivers of Mercy” made me cry. I’ve actually never listened to a full TFF album before, I’m not sure if it was the song or the mix, probably a bit of both, but it was just an amazing experience I’ll never forget. I guess it reminded me of why I love music, not just multichannel but music in general, and how powerful it is.

Thank you SDE for this incredible physical release.

I just got my copy and find it not much higher res than a standard CD. It's surprising that it was recorded at only 44.1/24 bit (why bother putting it on Blu Ray?). The surround mix helps and the concept and songs were very promising . . .

I just got my copy and find it not much higher res than a standard CD. It's surprising that it was recorded at only 44.1/24 bit (why bother putting it on Blu Ray?). The surround mix helps and the concept and songs were very promising . . .
Why bother putting it on Blu-ray? Because it has lossless Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio tracks.

Back