Tears for Fears Tipping Point Blu Ray audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We really have no idea what specific legal, financial or other constraints may or may not have been at play for SDE. What we do know is that a product that otherwise would not have happened at all, ended up happening - albeit in a quantity smaller than after-the-fact demand.

No offense, but from your complaints and monday morning coaching, it seems you basically don’t agree.
What makes you say that the product would not have happened at all without SDE ? TFF have had at least 3 other surround mixes released in recent years, all of which have been fairly successful. If not SDE, the label or someone else might have stepped in. Please stop making it sound like the folks at SDE are some kind of saviors, which they are not. It was a profitable opportunity for them, nothing more or less. It is rather naive to think that they have done anyone favors. In fact because of their poor decisions so many fans are upset.
No offense, but you need to stop being an apologist for them.

What makes you say that the product would not have happened at all without SDE ? TFF have had at least 3 other surround mixes released in recent years, all of which have been fairly successful. If not SDE, the label or someone else might have stepped in.
I wouldn't be so sure of that - Steven Wilson was contracted to do his Dolby Atmos mix specifically for spatial audio release on Apple Music and Tidal, and it would have certainly have stayed-streaming exclusive like so many new Atmos remixes from higher-profile acts (Tom Petty, Pearl Jam, STP, etc) had SDE not made this Blu-Ray release happen. You can't really compare this to the prior two 5.1 releases, which were issued under the Universal umbrella as part of elaborate anniversary-timed deluxe editions. A new album by a legacy act is already a tougher sell than their classic material, so it probably wasn't easy convincing a smaller entity like Concord to go out of their way to justify such a niche physical variation of said product.

It is rather naive to think that they have done anyone favors. In fact because of their poor decisions so many fans are upset.
This is what we know.
---
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news...y-audio-with-a-steven-wilson-dolby-atmos-mix/
I am pleased to announce that SuperDeluxeEdition.com, in collaboration with the band and Concord Records, is taking pre-orders (via the SDE shop) for a very special blu-ray audio of Tears For Fears forthcoming album The Tipping Point, which features two spatial audio or surround sound mixes, including a Dolby Atmos mix of the album by musician and remixer extraordinaire, Steven Wilson.

The Atmos mix should surface at some point in the future via streaming services, but this is your one and only opportunity to own a physical copy on blu-ray. In addition to the Dolby Atmos mix, the blu-ray audio will also feature a 5.1 DTS-HD mix (also by Steven Wilson) which will not be available anywhere else, even on streaming.

The blu-ray is exclusive to the SDE shop and is a limited edition product. Only 2000 copies will be available. If you recall, we SOLD OUT of the same quantity of the SDE-exclusive deluxe CD of The Tipping Point in 24 hours, back in October, so secure your pre-order in at the earliest opportunity, to avoid any disappointment.

I’d personally like to make it clear that this product was not planned from the very beginning and therefore hasn’t been ‘held back’ for any kind of strategic reasons. It came about after discussions between SDE and Concord towards the end of last year, following the success of the SDE-exclusive deluxe CD (Steven Wilson completed his mixes in December). This blu-ray edition exists because SDE believes there is still a market for physical product when it comes to surround sound (or spatial audio mixes) and Concord Records and Tears For Fears share our enthusiasm, in this regard.

---

Anything else related to the specifics is conjecture; your attributing poor decisions to SDE has less basis in facts than any comments thanking them for making this happen.
Being able to read Paul's post and citing it does not make one a SDE apologist.

In order to make life more difficult for scalpers...

Hopefully any new 'limited edition' releases will be capped to say, one disc per credit/debit card, online payment system and/or address!
Totally! That would easily fix it for the most part. It's so ridiculous, I wonder what the biggest order was? :(

In order to make life more difficult for scalpers...

Hopefully any new 'limited edition' releases will be capped to say, one disc per credit/debit card, online payment system and/or address!
This would have impacted me*, but if actualized I would support it.

*I bought 3, one for myself and my two siblings. Our distances are essentially London to Paris to Budapest.

I have now had the full Atmos listen and listening to the 5.1 DTS-HD MSTR as I write.
I listened to this release twice in stereo before I listened to the two surround versions and without doubt the surround versions, both of them absolutely enhance the experience of rating the music on it's own to higher rating.
I ripped, the Blu Ray, both versions, the 5.1 and the Atmos last night using my MKV and MMH without issues.
All I can say is both surround versions are good, but the Atmos just takes the listener to a better place.
Is Atmos a fad in the world of audio, I think not, the industry is really laying it down in a positive way.
I hope to do a proper review when I have time.

I listened to this release twice in stereo before I listened to the two surround versions and without doubt the surround versions, both of them absolutely enhance the experience of rating the music on it's own to higher rating.
Agreed,
I listened to the 2ch version a couple times an enjoyed it, but it was also a bit meh to me. I've now listened to the Atmos version on Apple a number of times and I'm really getting into it. I don't know if we just get spoiled listening to native surround releases and 2ch just seems to be missing something. Or the album just grew on me with repeated listens.
It's probably a little of both.
I am looking forward to a time when I can get the BD version on my HD. I'd like to hear the 5.1, but mainly I hate depending on a streamer for access to music I really like.

Yeah, after several complete listens to the Atmos version streaming from Apple Music, I finally put in the blu-ray disc this morning. I was expecting, as in other scenarios where I've done an A/B between the disc and the stream (like Kraftwerk "The Catalogue" for instance or the Booka Shade discs), to find things more or less on par.

What I found was that in this case the Atmos disc was significantly different, and I would say actually pretty objectively better. Like, cleaning a dirty window better—realizing how much clearer, and how much more you can see. BTW, this is coming from someone who has never been able to reliably or consistently identify what sounds better from pure enhanced bit rates once you get above 16bit/44.1khz—so I feel very confident in saying the Atmos experience on the disc is indeed both different and better.

Especially because, this is not what I wanted to find—and I was going into it pre-biased in favor of the stream. I don't want to feel like I'll always need to seek out the physical disc to see if this is the case elsewhere (especially with so many of them trapped in big boxes... ahem... Moving Pictures), nor do I want to be pulling boxes apart to find a disc every time I want to play something if I don't have to (I use JRiver so I can't rip and playback in Atmos yet). It also bothers me because I know how many people missed out on being able to buy it on disc and I'd love to be able to say "you're good with the stream, it's 6 of one, half-dozen of the other", but I can't. It further bothers me because now I'm wondering "where else is this happening and I don't know it?" and, why the heck would the Apple stream be so different in the first place? Isn't it the same source material (mix)?

I used Rivers of Mercy as my test because at this point I know the Atmos streaming mix very well—I have been starting my days with that song in its entirety since it was released. And, it's worth noting that in its streaming state, I still found it incredibly moving, time after time, and capable of bringing me literally to tears. So that's certainly something. But right from the beginning sound effects there was use of the heights that was just not 1:1 with the stream, musical elements I could barely hear before now being clear and discreet, a tangible sense of vocals overhead at times that were always in the fronts and rears before...

I mean, on the one hand I'm like "woah, this sounds awesome..." but on the other I'm also like "but now I'm going to have to pull out the disc every time because the streaming experience pales compared to this"... which I'm weirdly kinda grateful isn't the case with say, Wildflowers because there's no physical version... but, if there was? As mind-blowing as the stream is, would the physical version smoke it? If it came out buried in an SDE box for $300 I'd be really ticked because I'd feel like I'd have to know...

A lot of this is also the nerdy completist in me, but I want the best version of something I love if there's a clear path to it. A glorious sickness, I know. Has anyone else had that experience with this (or other) discs?!

Last edited:
What makes you say that the product would not have happened at all without SDE ? TFF have had at least 3 other surround mixes released in recent years, all of which have been fairly successful. If not SDE, the label or someone else might have stepped in. Please stop making it sound like the folks at SDE are some kind of saviors, which they are not. It was a profitable opportunity for them, nothing more or less. It is rather naive to think that they have done anyone favors. In fact because of their poor decisions so many fans are upset.
As I said - and you’ve confirmed - you don’t mostly agree and you really just want to complain and second guess.

After paying the licensing fees, manufacturing and distribution costs, etc., how much PROFIT do you really think SDE made on a grand total of 2,000 copies?

Do you honestly think somebody else was going to release this if SDE didn’t? Like who? The label? :LOL: I’d love to hear the names of some likely suspects.

It’s 2022. Those three previous surround legacy album releases were light-years ago in digital physical disc years. Almost nobody is doing physical releases of surround mixes these days. And the few who are still doing them are doing them as parts of big legacy boxes sets, not standalone surround releases of new music.

Labels are trying to get rid of the consumer ownership model. And the perfect segment to start rendering it obsolete - because surround music fans are a very small, but very passionate, consumer base - is surround music now that streaming platforms exist for it. Do you think it’s just an accident that surround downloads never really happened and virtually no new music is being released in surround physically these days? Do you think it’s an accident you can’t get physical copies of the surround mixes of even the most recent legacy releases by acts like, say, the Rolling Stones and Tom Petty?

Some people are upset because that’s what some people on message boards do. They complain, second-guess, and act entitled.

Here I am, still waiting for SDE to decide what to do with my glitch order, while what looks to be a full Bluray image file is 'out there' already..

I sometimes get the feeling labels make it unreasonably difficult for me to give them my money 😅
They want to make it difficult for you to buy something for a one-time payment and instead they want to encourage/force you toward renting their product by subscription and thus create a perpetual revenue stream. Everyone thought software companies were shooting themselves in the foot too.

A lot of this is also the nerdy completist in me, but I want the best version of something I love if there's a clear path to it. A glorious sickness, I know. Has anyone else had that experience with this (or other) discs?!
I wouldn't get too wrapped up in your listening comparison at this point. Doing a reliable A/B of this type is difficult if not next to impossible..
Levels have to be matched to 0.25db.
Switching between the two has to be accomplished with a gap no longer than a second or two.
And even then the DAC and analog stream to the amp is most always different.
Then getting it all done under double blind conditions has it's own set of problems.
If you really want results you can hang your hat on, go back to the the beginning and tighten all the possible contributing factors in a scientific manner. In a great majority of cases, this erases most things you thought you were hearing.
Cheers, Sal

So it looks like over 60 have sold on eBay for prices up to $250. I, for one, would have bought this when released had it not sold out. I am not a huge TFF fan and can live without it. I refuse to reward those who bought multiple copies to hoard/resale/scalp and pay over $100 bucks for an album I have never heard. I am happy to support the industry and purchase surround music unfamiliar to me. Perhaps the artist and SDE will catch wind of this secondary market and realize they left money on the table, others are cashing in and many wanting listeners aren’t able to purchase the surround mixes and reward their efforts by purchasing from legitimate distributors.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get too wrapped up in your listening comparison at this point. Doing a reliable A/B of this type is difficult if not next to impossible..
Levels have to be matched to 0.25db.
Switching between the two has to be accomplished with a gap no longer than a second or two.
And even then the DAC and analog stream to the amp is most always different.
Then getting it all done under double blind conditions has it's own set of problems.
If you really want results you can hang your hat on, go back to the the beginning and tighten all the possible contributing factors in a scientific manner. In a great majority of cases, this erases most things you thought you were hearing.
Cheers, Sal
I have the BRD as well. I ripped the disc to 7.1 .m4a files and can also play the disc directly. I cant say that I can satisfy all the conditions you have outlined. Although the DAC and analog stream are the same, my switching takes longer than a second, and getting to +/-0.25dB can't even be done because fine level graduations like that aren't available to me. (the 0.25dB requirement is pretty much overkill anyway IMHO). And of course I cant do it blind.

When I get a chance I will compare the rip/disc to the stream, as I have also been feeling that the Apple streams leave a little fidelity on the table. I can also do this with the ATMP Harrison release. I guess I'll report back.

I have the BRD as well. I ripped the disc to 7.1 .m4a files and can also play the disc directly. I cant say that I can satisfy all the conditions you have outlined. Although the DAC and analog stream are the same, my switching takes longer than a second, and getting to +/-0.25dB can't even be done because fine level graduations like that aren't available to me. (the 0.25dB requirement is pretty much overkill anyway IMHO). And of course I cant do it blind.

When I get a chance I will compare the rip/disc to the stream, as I have also been feeling that the Apple streams leave a little fidelity on the table. I can also do this with the ATMP Harrison release. I guess I'll report back.
Would love to hear what you experience with both of those titles!

Back