Tears for Fears Tipping Point Blu Ray audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are so few Atmos releases with a dedicated 5.1 mix that it doesn't matter much at this point.
I would be surprised if much effort went into these. There is an option in the Atmos mixing software to output a 5.1 mix. My guess it that is what is used most of the time. The Tipping Point may be different, and more effort was used for the 5.1 mix.
In the case of any mix by Steven Wilson, the Atmos mix is derived from the 5.1 and not vice-versa. For his first attempt in The Future Bites, he brought the 5.1 mix to Dolby engineer Jake Fields who assisted him in mixing up to Atmos. In the case of the Tipping Point it appears he has done it on his own (he's done a few more Atmos mixes since last year) but the Atmos is again derived from the 5.1.

I agree though that in the case of all the direct to streaming mixes, it's really just Atmos. In these cases the real issue is whether the engineer knows how to mix into surround at all.

It would be great to hear other opinions on this comparison.
I have to confess that when the disc arrived, I went straight to the Atmos mix, ignoring the 5.1
I did-do the same, it's maybe my loss?
Atmos is the new/kool thing it only seems the natural thing to do. LOL
I'll have to take a listen to the 5.1 tonight and see what I think.
It's always possible that I might prefer it and will never know unless I try. ;)

Although my “First Run” may feel a little less “special” today, I think this was the right thing to do - in fact I voted in favor of it on SDE.
The band made a great record & Steven Wilson created a mix which really maximizes its impact - as a music fan first and foremost (and a greedy, hoarding little collector second-most!), I think it’s only fair to let more people hear it.
More importantly, I think Paul from SDE is sorting the business model out (with the 2 week pre-order window) giving more opportunity for fans and reducing risk for him & the label.
A win-win moving forward…
Long may the SDE Series run!

I still find it unfortunate that no 2ch Wilson remaster was included on either release. The fact is one of the most serious destruction of dynamic range (DR5) occured on the recent stereo Tipping Point release and no options exist for the 2ch crowd. :(

Back