Technics 4 Channel Balancer SH-1010 up for Auction

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbillquad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
New Zealand . Hobsonville Rd. West Harbour
Hi. All

Anybody after a Technics 4 Channel Balancer SH-1010 there is one on Jauce Auction site starting price of $10.00 US.
BBQ...

( https://www.jauce.com/auction/s770263661 )

i-img1200x1200-1600497494ucu7s3294106.jpg

i-img1200x1200-1600497494mfdqtm294106.jpg

Those type remotes usually go for much more than they are actually worth. I actually have one of those but I can't find the amplifier that it connects to. I might of lent it out to someone, but if I did why didn't I give them the remote as well? I think the one I have is branded Panasonic rather than Technics.

Those type remotes usually go for much more than they are actually worth. I actually have one of those but I can't find the amplifier that it connects to. I might of lent it out to someone, but if I did why didn't I give them the remote as well? I think the one I have is branded Panasonic rather than Technics.

Many years ago I ordered from ETCO the internal guts to this unit. The product detail from ETCO even said "Panasonic Quad Joystick". It had 4 rather crude & cheap looking un-sealed carbon comp pots mounted to control X/Y levels in a rather clever mechanical arrangement. That means your decode audio signal would have to travel all the way to and from the balancer in cable of dubious quality with possible crosstalk added & depending on the cable capacitance maybe some loss in the treble. I did find use for the quad joystick balancer but not for music.

All tho wired remotes are a pain, I really liked the way the remote on the Fosgate Tate II functioned. Just DC control voltages in the wire, no audio signal. And I thought it was sensible arrangement of L/R & F/B & volume layout that was easy to tweak to perfection.

Many years ago I ordered from ETCO the internal guts to this unit. The product detail from ETCO even said "Panasonic Quad Joystick". It had 4 rather crude & cheap looking un-sealed carbon comp pots mounted to control X/Y levels in a rather clever mechanical arrangement. That means your decode audio signal would have to travel all the way to and from the balancer in cable of dubious quality with possible crosstalk added & depending on the cable capacitance maybe some loss in the treble. I did find use for the quad joystick balancer but not for music.

All tho wired remotes are a pain, I really liked the way the remote on the Fosgate Tate II functioned. Just DC control voltages in the wire, no audio signal. And I thought it was sensible arrangement of L/R & F/B & volume layout that was easy to tweak to perfection.
I agree running signals up and down a lengthy piece of cable is not the best way to go. The unit it came from was not exactly high end anyway. While I dislike wired remotes, wireless remotes used with modern equipment are even more of a pain, when you misplace them you can't often do anything with the unit. Ideally all functions should be on the front of the unit itself with the remote used more for convenience. Like your Fosgate I have a homemade remote for the Space & Image Composer but I don't bother with it anymore. Two drawbacks of that remote the first being it's use disables the controls on the front of the unit, the second is it only works for decoded signals not for the discrete input. Placing the controls elsewhere after the decoder makes more sense.

I built one of those in the early 1990s.

I bought the joystick from Radio shack and connected it to 8 RCA jacks. I connected it between the preamps and the power amps. It did not have a long cable, but was next to the preamps.

Back