Technics CD-4 Cartridges with no audio output

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look here, Transformers for what you need in canada if you go the route of installing inside the receiver.

If you go the outboard step down route, I have bought and been happy with these guys. Voltage Converters .CA - Power Converters, Transformer Canada

I bought a step down for all my Japanese 100 volt stuff. I plugged in a 4 spot power bar and run decoders, scope and cartridge decks from it and at 500 watts it doesn't even breathe heavy. Shipping a transformer is a little steep but not bad at all as they use a courier for better rates. They are in Quebec of I remember right.

I suspected they came from the same factory, just different Letraset decals! At least I didn't have to deal with international shipping a big hunk of iron and copper. Ouch! I have seen the same website in other countries as well like Australia. It is easier to shop as local as possible for this kind of stuff.

Actually, tube amps will be more forgiving of an overload for a while, sometimes quite a while. A solid state amp will be damaged in short order with a substantial overload, putting two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, for example. Some solid state amps are designed to handle that but those are pretty rare. Almost all solid state amplifiers do not want to see less than 4 ohms impedance across the output transistors and that actually stresses the output devices in spite of what the manufacturer says.

Also, a solid state amplifier doesn't care if there is a load or not. If there is nothing connected across the outputs, there is no current flow and no heat.

True. Tubes are "protected" in a way by the transformer insulation, the secondary winding will most likely burn open if the load draw too much current for too long. Transistors are less forgiving indeed, their destruction is guaranteed if you exceed their ratings.

Wurly, have you seen the Simran units which are step-up, step-down? They are about 5" X 4" X 3". They come with different wattage ratings. I bought one that's 200 watts max to run some British model train power packs and it works fine.

Of course, those power packs don't draw anywhere near 200 watts but it doesn't even get warm with those.

Doug
I will look into it

I would look here, Transformers for what you need in canada if you go the route of installing inside the receiver.

If you go the outboard step down route, I have bought and been happy with these guys. Voltage Converters .CA - Power Converters, Transformer Canada

I bought a step down for all my Japanese 100 volt stuff. I plugged in a 4 spot power bar and run decoders, scope and cartridge decks from it and at 500 watts it doesn't even breathe heavy. Shipping a transformer is a little steep but not bad at all as they use a courier for better rates. They are in Quebec of I remember right.

Hammond transformers are very good stuff!
The other link shows very interesting products too and shipping from Montreal should be affordable.
Thanks!

Next week i will contact them if they can come up with a ready-made solution and also about custom built transformer.

Last edited:
Good Day to all members. I recently purchased Technics SS-1200 stereo/quadraphonic system.

I have following problem: one of rear channels did not work.
I did remove turntable and checked fuses. Fuse on that rear channel was broken. After replacing that 2A fuse there is signal from channel but is very weak and there is noticeable "frying" noise but not smell or heat.
"Frying" sound is not coming from speaker, but can be heard from inside of receiver.
I assume that transistor is "dying".

I have following question is there possibility to remove circuit board of that broken channel only.

Those 4 amplifier boards look like they are some kind of cartridges inserted in the slots.
I do not want to drive whole receiver to technician, especially that after removing it from cabinet circuits are not protected.

I would appreciate any comments, advice on that question.
Regards,
Mario

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_124254_575.jpg
    IMG_20210403_124254_575.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20210403_115125_986.jpg
    IMG_20210403_115125_986.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20210403_120149_822.jpg
    IMG_20210403_120149_822.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 75
You would want to call the technician first but I can almost guarantee he's going to say he doesn't want to work on just one board out of the unit and not be able to verify the whole thing works after. He may say OK but then wouldn't warrant anything.

Doug

You would want to call the technician first but I can almost guarantee he's going to say he doesn't want to work on just one board out of the unit and not be able to verify the whole thing works after. He may say OK but then wouldn't warrant anything.

Doug
Hi,
Thank You for advice. I did found one in neighbourhood that does old stuff. Will take whole unit to him next week.

Presumably this is now useless? Being in the UK I don't know if there are any analogue VHF TV channels left in the US, but I suspect not.

Hi Owen,
I do not know about United States America and their TV transmission.
I do live in OZ and do not watch TV since I moved in 2007.
That equipment is nice looking paper weight currently. I do not think that it was used at all.
But with current "craziness" in the world, we might get back to analog very soon, or even to cave paintings era.

The old analog TV channels are gone in the us. Everything went digital in 2007.

Back